The Useless Eustace Problem

Jayweb95

In the first half we played 4-5-1 sometimes 4-3-3 with ward and Dawkins which was perfect for holding possession but not creating chances, soon as we fell behind we went 4-4-2 which in my opinion is so much stronger for us attacking.. Best supports Martin in the way any striker should.. But overall Eustace was the problem in the 4-5-1 because he didn't do enough for our wingers... I know I'm not Steve or anything but wouldn't our 4-5-1 system work so much more effectively with a solid lead, basically a game closing system, sort of like Chelsea's "parking the bus" why can't we play that attacking 4-4-2 football in the first half?

Thoughts and opinions lads?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the first half we played 4-5-1 sometimes 4-3-3 with ward and Dawkins which was perfect for holding possession but not creating chances, soon as we fell behind we went 4-4-2 which in my opinion is so much stronger for us attacking.. Best supports Martin in the way any striker should.. But overall Eustace was the problem in the 4-5-1 because he didn't do enough for our wingers... I know I'm not Steve or anything but wouldn't our 4-5-1 system work so much more effectively with a solid lead, basically a game closing system, sort of like Chelsea's "parking the bus" why can't we play that attacking 4-4-2 football in the first half?

Good post but Alpha will nobble you watch out

No m8 but you are a good poster.

You have your views and I can't knock you for that and you have a good knowledge of Football.

PS Chelsea looking good against City

In fairness despite all the arguing I do with you I'd still buy you a beer.

Maybe when we've been promoted playing 433 with fast attacking on the deck football through the likes of Dawkins and Co.

In fairness despite all the arguing I do with you I'd still buy you a beer.

Maybe when we've been promoted playing 433 with fast attacking on the deck football through the likes of Dawkins and Co.

Your not the only one who gets frustrated with my opinions but I do try to be constructive.

All the best to you and the family m8

Think I'll take a time out now.

Eustace is a CDM. It's not his job to support the wingers.

Why does everyone hate Eustace all of a sudden? Thought Whitbread would be the scapegoat after yesterday's performance...

Also, we don't play 4-5-1, we play 4-3-3 where the wingers act more as inside forwards. It is one of the most attacking formations, much more attacking than the 4-4-2 you suggested.

Your not the only one who gets frustrated with my opinions but I do try to be constructive.

All the best to you and the family m8

Think I'll take a time out now.

At the end of the day mate it's just a forum. After all the bickering etc it's just football and it's not worth half of what we put into it. Nobody cares what we say on here. It's all ****** and although we think our opinions count... I don't think we matter. :(

Cheers fella. All the best to you too.

3rd Eustace thread of the day, was he really that bad? Not even Dawkins had 3 in one day

And I thought it was his best game of the season lol!! I'm sure if he had gone out in a Thorne costume and gave the same performance people would have a different perspective on it as was really impressed with some of his forward passes yesterday (and quite surprised!).

Plus we dominated the game really so not sure why we would have done much better by having a different team, just that the ball didn't seem to quite fall for us and their keeper played very well.

Eustace is playing as well as he ever did last season. We were just spoiled with Thorne. 

Also, I thought Eustace played well first-half against Cardiff and is probably a huge reason why we had more than 70% possession in that period. 

I do want Omar to have a chance, and a real chance, but there is little wrong with Eustace. It seems to be another case of 'we didn't get the three points, so something must be wrong' - there isn't. I'm just glad we didn't put in a performance like Cardiff did and hide behind the fact 'well, we got a point against a good Derby team so we must have played well' 

Eustace is playing as well as he ever did last season. We were just spoiled with Thorne. 

Also, I thought Eustace played well first-half against Cardiff and is probably a huge reason why we had more than 70% possession in that period. 

I do want Omar to have a chance, and a real chance, but there is little wrong with Eustace. It seems to be another case of 'we didn't get the three points, so something must be wrong' - there isn't. I'm just glad we didn't put in a performance like Cardiff did and hide behind the fact 'well, we got a point against a good Derby team so we must have played well' 

It was our best home perfromance by a mile.

Archived