does anyone else agree that we need a play like that antonio on our team?

Sexydadbod

Imo our current wingers are too predictable as they all like to come inside. We need a strong,fast direct winger who will run at the defenders. Ward does this to some extent but his small frame doesn't scare defenders. Antonio looked like he made shotton scared of him and won almost every battle with him. Gotta give forest credit where it is due, antonio and assongalongbawonga(lol) look like good players. Hoping that ibe that will be the player that we need

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still not sure what I think of Antonio. Considering how often he beats his man, he doesn't put that many balls into the box. I know he's started well with Forest but he can be wasteful. He's never played with a forward as good as Assombalonga though so we'll see how he does over the full season.

But long answer short, no we don't. We don't play with wingers in the old-fashioned sense of the word, so unless we're changing our style of play, we don't need a player like him.

Still not sure what I think of Antonio. Considering how often he beats his man, he doesn't put that many balls into the box. I know he's started well with Forest but he can be wasteful. He's never played with a forward as good as Assombalonga though so we'll see how he does over the full season.

But long answer short, no we don't. We don't play with wingers in the old-fashioned sense of the word, so unless we're changing our style of play, we don't need a player like him.

Still wouldn't mind a player that can beat a man in our team. Still don't know what dawkins does for our team

Still wouldn't mind a player that can beat a man in our team. Still don't know what dawkins does for our team

We have Christie and Forsyth to do that, and they do it well. It wouldn't be as simple as putting a player like Antonio in our side - the whole system would have to change, and we'd need to sign more players in other positions to make the change. It would upset the balance if you didn't do that.

Dawkins didn't play well today, but Dawkins brings two things to us - the first is consistency in possession, in that he finds a white shirt a lot, which is far more important to us than beating a man. Secondly, he brings versatility, as today proved - he played 3 or 4 different roles in today's 100 plus minutes

He's possibly the most predictable player we've played so far, what are you on about? It's the classic case of fans being obsessed with players that 'beat their man', the amount of times there's a thread filled with people saying 'we need a winger than can beat his man' is worrying.

Ward, Dawkins, Russell and Ibe are all this sort of player, they just tend to do it in a less obvious way. Dawkins took 3 of their players out of the game so many times today with an interchange between him and Forsyth/Bryson, then cutting inside. Is that beating enough players?

Antonio's a 4-4-2, hoofball dream winger. Big, strong, quick and a pretty much perfect example of the type of player the English game churns out. He's not got a brain, but he sure looks good on a highlight reel.

The grass is always greener etc 

Antonio..... had a good game, but don't forget he is from Shef Weds, Ibe is from Liverpool.

All those saying lets see Calero, we have, he scored a goal, and looks a prospect, So does Santos who looks every bit as good.

That said, Ibe  (by all accounts) should be better than Antonio, and Santos/Calero, with his experience and quality. He just needs to be played... But, and here's the conundrum, we don't play a style at the mo that supports an out and out winger :blink:

As I said in the matchday thread, I don't think we have found the shape of the best team yet... and its really complex to put all the pieces of our new jigsaw together with the talent we now have as to what our best team is ?

With Mac seeming to like a similar starting 11 most weeks, I think it might be a while before he knows too :unsure:

Archived