Former Ram Chris Powell set to take over Huddersfield.

AmericanRam

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9454998

Agreed Tombo.I for one could care less if a black person was manager of my club I support if he is qualified and does a good job.Unfortunately I am sure their will be some HTFC who are not happy with this appointment due to his race.Great article here.

Problem is, we don't have many black managers in the game, simply because not many black players retire and go into management. I don't think the lack of black managers is indicative of a racism problem in the game. There may be other places that a racism problem can be found in football, but coaching and management is not one of them imo

The real sad part of this is that whenever Paul Ince or Chris Powell get a job, their achievements are overshadowed by Kick It Out and the FA going "Hooray! A black guy!". Chris Powell is more than just a skin colour, he's a talented manager with good football knowledge.

Plus, if there was a race problem in management, why all the foreign managers? How black is "black" anyway? Does Felix Magath count? I'd hardly say he was "white", without a doubt. Is he black, or just dark? And what about the "tanned" colour of Oscar Garcia? or Jose Mourinho?

Ironically, one could say that the topic of race in football management is not as black and white as it seems.

True.Powell I think will do a solid job with Huddersfield but his accomplishments or perhaps lack of will constantly be scrutinized and that will only hinder himself and put undue pressure on his players also.

I understand and respect the goals of Kick It Out but as you say they are worried more about the race aspect in general rather than the success of the manager imo.I think most retired black players dont go into coaching because they feel whats the point? Thats a shame.

Really happy for him he had a bit of a raw deal at Charlton with the chairman buying players and expecting him to play them, they were bottom but he was probably better off out of it.

He's a top chap who had a lot time for the fans when he played for us, I remember having a chat with him in the PP car park after a game and he was a gent, signed my nephews programme and chatted to us for a while, can't remember what we chatted about  but when he opened the boot of his car it was rammed full of brand new boots. Strange the odd details you remember  :rolleyes:

The real sad part of this is that whenever Paul Ince or Chris Powell get a job, their achievements are overshadowed by Kick It Out and the FA going "Hooray! A black guy!". Chris Powell is more than just a skin colour, he's a talented manager with good football knowledge.

Plus, if there was a race problem in management, why all the foreign managers? How black is "black" anyway? Does Felix Magath count? I'd hardly say he was "white", without a doubt. Is he black, or just dark? And what about the "tanned" colour of Oscar Garcia? or Jose Mourinho?

Ironically, one could say that the topic of race in football management is not as black and white as it seems.

You forgot "orange" and Phil Brown.

True.Powell I think will do a solid job with Huddersfield but his accomplishments or perhaps lack of will constantly be scrutinized and that will only hinder himself and put undue pressure on his players also.

I understand and respect the goals of Kick It Out but as you say they are worried more about the race aspect in general rather than the success of the manager imo.I think most retired black players dont go into coaching because they feel whats the point? Thats a shame.

They can also get cushy well paid analysis jobs with the BBC.

Not really sure how much I rate him as a manager. He strikes me as one of those percentage-playing types. The sort of manager who can take a big club out of League One, but not sure it's ever going to get better than mid-table mediocrity with him.

Hope he proves me wrong, he's one of the good guys.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9454998

Agreed Tombo.I for one could care less if a black person was manager of my club I support if he is qualified and does a good job.Unfortunately I am sure their will be some HTFC who are not happy with this appointment due to his race.Great article here.

As long as he wasn't gay or queer.

(That's happy and strange)

Archived