haha at the england squad

Sexydadbod

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still no idea why he hasn't picked Bale or Ramsey.

In all seriousness, could there ever be a time where Wales, or God forbid, Scotland might ever eclipse England on the international stage?

I always think it's a shame that Wales have had some class players over the years, but never enough at once to make a decent team.

Have you thought that maybe Merson is a Arsenal fan and slightly biased?

Look at how people value our youngsters on here, if you don't want to support your country fair enough but to take the the piss? nah

Firstly merson is a chelsea fan. Secondly I'm not taking the piss. It annoys me when the media hype up the england players. Merson said on ssn that if rooney plays well then england can easily win a tournement. Have they already forgotten what heppened at the last world cup?I hope will hughes doesn't get ruined by the media when he gets called up

Let's not forget this is a friendly v Norway and qualifier v Switzerland. We're not up against the Germans.

Switzerland are a very good team which makes me worried. It took argentina a very late goal in extra time to beat them. Yes france destroyed them but that was a one off freak performance as they are generally very good in defence. If sterling gets injured then there is no creativety in the england midifeld especially now barkley is injured

In all seriousness, could there ever be a time where Wales, or God forbid, Scotland might ever eclipse England on the international stage?

I always think it's a shame that Wales have had some class players over the years, but never enough at once to make a decent team.

Yes Wales have had some cracking players over the years, their problem is they never come through at a similar time, so you only have one or two really good players in the team and the rest of the squad are usually championship standard. 

Shame the likes of Giggs, Bale, Ramsey, Rush, Hughes, Southall, Saunders, etc never really played on a major international stage.

Such a poor squad.

In defence - Chambers has only played three games for Arsenal and suddenly he merits selection - if caps are given out this cheaply, then how can we entice players to work hard and improve? I agree with the selection of Stones - he looks decent. Neither Phil Jones nor Jagielka should be in the squad either, but I don't see many better alternatives - Eric Dier by the end of this season?

In midfield - I don't see a single world class player. Henderson and Milner are alright at what they do - they're hard workers. Sterling has a lot of potential and merits selection, as does Oxlade-Chamberlain. But Townsend? Seriously? The guy had two good games for England, but how can a player who is not considered good enough for Spurs - the sixth best side in the country - be considered good enough to play in the national team? 

Up front - Sturridge is a good striker who will score a lot of goals for England. Rooney is ok, probably deserves to be captain. Lambert is pretty average but probably the best option we have to provide a plan B. And Welbeck is deemed surplus to requirements by a team who finished 7th last season, and hasn't done anything for ages. Yes, he once scored a good goal against Sweden. That doesn't mean he should have a place in the side two years later.

Hodgson should go by the policy that if you're not playing regularly - by which I mean starting at least 25 games a season, injury permitting, then you shouldn't be in the England squad.I feel for the guy, as he hardly has an abundance of quality at his disposal, but what is the point in continuing to pick players like Jones, Welbeck, Townsend, Milner etc if they're not playing regularly at club level? The only reason they get in the squad is because they play for big clubs, but I'd rather he picked players playing regularly for weaker club sides - such as Colback, Delph, Jay Rodriguez (when he recovers from his injury) etc.

Such a poor squad.

In defence - Chambers has only played three games for Arsenal and suddenly he merits selection - if caps are given out this cheaply, then how can we entice players to work hard and improve? I agree with the selection of Stones - he looks decent. Neither Phil Jones nor Jagielka should be in the squad either, but I don't see many better alternatives - Eric Dier by the end of this season?

In midfield - I don't see a single world class player. Henderson and Milner are alright at what they do - they're hard workers. Sterling has a lot of potential and merits selection, as does Oxlade-Chamberlain. But Townsend? Seriously? The guy had two good games for England, but how can a player who is not considered good enough for Spurs - the sixth best side in the country - be considered good enough to play in the national team? 

Up front - Sturridge is a good striker who will score a lot of goals for England. Rooney is ok, probably deserves to be captain. Lambert is pretty average but probably the best option we have to provide a plan B. And Welbeck is deemed surplus to requirements by a team who finished 7th last season, and hasn't done anything for ages. Yes, he once scored a good goal against Sweden. That doesn't mean he should have a place in the side two years later.

Hodgson should go by the policy that if you're not playing regularly - by which I mean starting at least 25 games a season, injury permitting, then you shouldn't be in the England squad.I feel for the guy, as he hardly has an abundance of quality at his disposal, but what is the point in continuing to pick players like Jones, Welbeck, Townsend, Milner etc if they're not playing regularly at club level? The only reason they get in the squad is because they play for big clubs, but I'd rather he picked players playing regularly for weaker club sides - such as Colback, Delph, Jay Rodriguez (when he recovers from his injury) etc.

Great post.

Yeah, shame not to see Barry on current form but he's not exactly set the world on fire for England before...

If anyone can even come up with half a dozen names who fundamentally deserve to be in that squad but aren't, I'd like to see them.

Yeah, shame not to see Barry on current form but he's not exactly set the world on fire for England before...

If anyone can even come up with half a dozen names who fundamentally deserve to be in that squad but aren't, I'd like to see them.

Will Hughes

Chris Martin

Bucko

Bucko

Bucko 

Bucko

Easy, better still just clone eleven Bucko's, Job done

On a serious note, two players who are complete ****'s but have something to offer are Ashley Cole and John Terry Cole. 

Baines had a very poor WC not helped by a lack of cover but still failed to bring any of his Prem form to England and I'd rather have Terry than Jagielka who again had a poor WC. 

Gareth Barry

John Terry

Ashley Cole

Eric Dier - must have as much chance as Chambers of getting in

Curtis Davies

Adam Johnson

There's six. But they're hardly top quality players who should definitely be selected.

am annoyed with Hodgson's squad selection, as disclosed in my previous post - he should not be picking players who don't play regularly. But I'm even more annoyed with the English football system, who have simply not allowed enough quality young players to develop.

I think we just have to be realistic with our expectations. We are not one of the top sides at international level, so it's only natural that there is an absence of world class talent, which is very subjective in its terms anyway. How does a player achieve world class status?

Let's face it, we are not going to become a fresh-faced juggernaut overnight. Hodgson has a big job on his hands, probably too big a job I'd argue, because there is a lot of expectation and a lot of people think they know better. For me, he's fighting a losing battle. We are simply not producing enough players of the standard required to succeed on the international stage.

There is no point in comparing us to Germany who are World Cup winners and years ahead of us in their development of tactical principles, coaching methods and the progression of young talent. The same goes with France, Netherlands and Spain, who have all left us behind for some time now. We're in a transitional period and we're bedding in a large number of youngsters and trying to bridge a chasm. We are probably not going to see the benefits of any shake-up to the status quo for ten years or more. 

So is there really any need to knock these young players before they have kicked a ball? Until they are given the same opportunities as the likes of Lampard and Gerrard were as youngsters, how can we really be sure who is good enough and who is not and just how good the new look England side are?

Archived