Who do you want playing CDM this season.

-JW-

152 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just a quick question .

Did you got to the Burton freindly Tuesday night because if you I did and I was just amazed at how well and at ease Hughes looked in the Thorne role.

What's more it gave him more of the ball to influence the game and display his skills .

He just looked a class above .

One mazey run and shot at goal was outstanding.

He's a class act and seems to have grown since last season .

He looks stronger.

No mate I am away at the moment. I have no doubt Will can play there but for me when he does, we lack his input unlocking stubborn defences.

He played there against Notts and did fine.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0 defensive work.

I don't think the defensive side is a problem but I take your point but we are mostly on the front foot anyway particularly in home games.

The problem with Eustace is he's good defensively but is not very quick at distributing the ball and then has to often lunge at the last minute to get the ball out of his feet.

Hughes makes space for himself and distributes the ball brilliantly.

I don't think the defensive side is a problem but I take your point.

The problem with Eustace is he's good defensively but is not very quick at distributing the ball and then has to often lunge at the last minute to get the ball out of his feet.

Hughes makes space for himself and distributes the ball brilliantly.

Eustace is also too slow when defending. Hence the amount of stupid booking he got.

No mate I am away at the moment. I have no doubt Will can play there but for me when he does, we lack his input unlocking stubborn defences.

He played there against Notts and did fine.

I actually think he has more of an influence on the game in that role and will be a revelation this season.

I must admit I was amazed at Burton .

I think we should get a loan, But I also think Hughes can adapt to the roll and think he could emulate parts of Thornes game aswel. You don't have to be a monster to play CDM (See Claude makalele, tho he was strong!) you just have to be able to read the game well and have a decent ball retention/distribution which I think Will is more capable of doin

I think we should get a loan, But I also think Hughes can adapt to the roll and think he could emulate parts of Thornes game aswel. You don't have to be a monster to play CDM (See Claude makalele, tho he was strong!) you just have to be able to read the game well and have a decent ball retention/distribution which I think Will is more capable of doin

I think the Carroll loan would be ideal but lots don't and I doubt now it's happening.

I hope it does though.

Remember eustace did ok for 30+ games until his suspension let Thorne in, I don't think Hughes is good enough for that role in the tough championship and we'd lose his creativity spark

That seems to be the main argument for Eustace... but consider that the team may have done well despite Eustace? It was clear when Thorne came in we did even better because of him.

Eustace was our main CDM in our best patch of form of last season. People doubted and criticised him before he even stepped on the pitch last season and then had an outstanding season in my opinion only shadowed by the sheer class that Thorne brought.

If Eustace can perform as well as he did when he played last season, then he's good enough for a promotion chasing team. His experience to see out games is also a bonus over playing Hughes who I doubt will be as good defensively.

Eustace was our main CDM in our best patch of form of last season. People doubted and criticised him before he even stepped on the pitch last season and then had an outstanding season in my opinion only shadowed by the sheer class that Thorne brought.

If Eustace can perform as well as he did when he played last season, then he's good enough for a promotion chasing team. His experience to see out games is also a bonus over playing Hughes who I doubt will be as good defensively.

I think that's exactly what he should be. Experience to see out games.

Don't think he's who you want to be starting, say at home when we will have most of the ball and need to break teams down.

Your really overrating Eustace that's for sure.

Thorne was his replacement because Eustace will not last the pace.

I think that's exactly what he should be. Experience to see out games.

Don't think he's who you want to be starting, say at home when we will have most of the ball and need to break teams down.

Hughes is undoubtedly a better footballer. His ball retention, passing and vision is exceptional. That makes him perfect for the CDM position when we're attacking. However, what Eustace does well is protect the back 4 so while he may not be as good on the ball as Hughes, he is far better defensively offering support to the back 4 than Hughes would be.

I agree about Hughes being better if we need to break a team down but wouldn't that mean Hughes would be better off the bench if we were struggling to break teams down in the 1st half for example? 

I imagine we will see them both play that role this season and which one starts will depend on the opponent. If we're coming up against a Millwall type side who haven't come to play football but to be overly physical and knock us around, then I'd imagine we'll start Eustace. In a game like that Hughes wouldn't see the ball because he'd get knocked off too easily. If we're facing someone like Brighton for example then I think Hughes should start because his technical abilities would be of more use.

Your really overrating Eustace that's for sure.

Thorne was his replacement because Eustace will not last the pace.

Thorne wasn't getting in the side over Eustace. He only started because Eustace was suspended...

I don't think I am over-rating him to be honest. Eustace provided exactly what we were desperately lacking the season before; a player to sit in front of the back 4 and add defensive support. 

Also, nobody thought Eustace would ''last the pace'' last season but he ended up being one of our most consistent players. I don't see a reason that can't happen again. Yes, he's a year older but the management team must think he's still very much able or they would have let him go.

Thorne wasn't getting in the side over Eustace. He only started because Eustace was suspended...

I don't think I am over-rating him to be honest. Eustace provided exactly what we were desperately lacking the season before; a player to sit in front of the back 4 and add defensive support. 

Also, nobody thought Eustace would ''last the pace'' last season but he ended up being one of our most consistent players. I don't see a reason that can't happen again. Yes, he's a year older but the management team must think he's still very much able or they would have let him go.

I was advocating a holding midfielder when Nigel was at Derby and I was delighted when he brought Eustace in but even Nigel used Eustace sparingly .

I think Hughes will have the main DM role this season unless we bring someone in .

I was advocating a holding midfielder when Nigel was at Derby and I was delighted when he brought Eustace in but even Nigel used Eustace sparingly .

I think Hughes will have the main DM role this season unless we bring someone in .

I think Hughes probably will be the main CDM but I think there will be certain games where Eustace's experience and defensive qualities could be very useful.

Thorne gave us the boost we needed. He didn't play much but he did make a big impact really. His debut was Forest?

Derby 1-0 QPR

Wednesday 0-1 Derby

Derby 1-0 Bournemouth

Burnley 2-0 Derby

Derby 0-1 Millwall

Derby 0-0 Bolton

Reading 0-0 Derby

Then Thorne came in

Derby 5-0 Forest

Ipswich 2-1 Derby

Derby 3-0 Charlton

Boro 1-0 Derby

Blackpool 1-3 Derby

Derby 3-1 Huddersfield

Doncaster 0-2 Derby

Derby 2-1 Barnsley

Derby 4-2 Watford

Brighton 1-2 Derby

Derby 4-1 Brighton

He definitely made an impact. Performances were better too and we'll miss that bit extra that he gives us. I don't think we can do much about that unless we buy/loan.

Archived