Will Hughes' performances for England U21 v San Marino U21

Tricky1884

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope liverpool see this and offer 15m and wisdom. Even though we dont rate wisdom do we

What a goal!! With his right foot too! Nice to see him so happy with it as well, obviously chuffed to bits with scoring.

It'll be a shame to see him leave, whenever it is. Wherever he goes, he'll always be a Derby County favourite!! 

Edges out James Ward-Prowse's goal for best of the match.

Will Hughes was class, played defensive midfielder - very much 'pirlo' type role. He dictated a lot of the play and was always there as an option.

Sensible and intelligent performance. 

Just looked at the possession stats for that game. 81% to England 19% San Marino. Not often you see number like that.

Just looked at the possession stats for that game. 81% to England 19% San Marino. Not often you see number like that.

It was a stupid game.

Could have been 20+ but young players will be young players and a lot of them wasted chances in search of own personal glory. 

The thing that Hughes has on many england players is that he's not stupid or naive running around all over the place, he's very composed and intelligent and is a great asset to the team as well as having an individual brilliance

Would love to see us buck the trend and hold on to him if we realistically want to aim for promotion this year and if we went up, he'd be our main player next year

He could be as good as he wants to be, and Is so unique in the English game will be a player of Paul scholes type standard IMO

After Cleverley trying to play that role today (similar to what Hughes played for u21s) I really think we would be better off with Hughes, who has much quicker feet and a quicker mind than Cleverley.

I think there is better options than both of them - but, I just think in that role.. Hughes is much more effective. 

I'm delighted for Will and really rate him, and that was a lovely finish - but don't think playing well in a holding role against San Marino U21s means too much.

Playing a holding role for Derby in the Championship would be a harder task frankly, and the times he has done it he hasn't looked so good.

These rumours about Liverpool persist, might be self fuelling, but I really don't think he would be capable of playing for the Liverpool first team at the moment, so he might as well stay at Derby.

I watched the game today and he was very impressive.

Have to say Raheem Sterling is feckin awful though. Would hate it if he did come here.

Jordan Ibe is a much much MUCH better prospect - watched him for Liverpool's development side. He is the class above. 

I'm delighted for Will and really rate him, and that was a lovely finish - but don't think playing well in a holding role against San Marino U21s means too much.

Playing a holding role for Derby in the Championship would be a harder task frankly, and the times he has done it he hasn't looked so good.

These rumours about Liverpool persist, might be self fuelling, but I really don't think he would be capable of playing for the Liverpool first team at the moment, so he might as well stay at Derby.

I think that is the best role for him, especially if he wants to go to the very top.

He isn't ever going to be a explosive attacking midfielder - play him in the Carrick/Pirlo role and let him get to grips with it IMO

I think that is the best role for him, especially if he wants to go to the very top.

He isn't ever going to be a explosive attacking midfielder - play him in the Carrick/Pirlo role and let him get to grips with it IMO

Sounds like typical English syndrome. Haven't Spain or Germany taught us anything yet about skill and technique meaning more than pace or power? Look at Germany last night... Kroos ran the game and he has no explosive ability.

I think he'd be better than Cleverley for the full team, but then again, think I would be.

Will Hughes is more like Iniesta/Xavi than a Pirlo/Carrick.

Leave him where he is

Yeah. He is unbelievable in the final third. How could anyone think otherwise? 

Blatantly obvious that England miss an iniesta, Ozil, gotze, ribery, Schneider type player to link midfield and attack. Picking gaps in defences, that's where I'd use Hughes. For derby and whoever, seems to be revelling in playing further forward with mclaren

At the moment Hughes is better further up the park, as he gets older and more experience he may drop deeper and play that deep lying play maker.

As it stands at the moment I'd rather he was further up the field where he can create, pick up loose ball and cause defenses problems.

We have to understand that England don't / can't play a patient passing game, there's nothing wrong with having a different style to the likes of Spain and Germany. We need to create a style that can beat these kind of teams not simply replicate what they do...

Blatantly obvious that England miss an iniesta, Ozil, gotze, ribery, Schneider type player to link midfield and attack. Picking gaps in defences, that's where I'd use Hughes. For derby and whoever, seems to be revelling in playing further forward with mclaren

The nearest and best English versions of that type of player is probably Rooney and then Joe Cole!

When you get a player with the skill and vision of Hughes, you don't try to fit him in a role - you build your team around him. I have never really seen a player like him in the English game since Charlie George. Just give him the ball, and there are occasions when he will destroy teams.

Unfortunately, that guarantees nothing. Charlie was an amazing footballer - and managed one solitary cap.

Have to say Raheem Sterling is feckin awful though. Would hate it if he did come here.

Sterling is such a flashy ****, always tries to score the wonder goal instead of set someone up. I think intelligence with the ball is something that (after watching last night) almost all the England attackers don't have. So many like Sturridge who always try to do the trick or turn instead of playing it safe. It works against West Brom, but against Germany you're going to end up looking like an idiot. Sterling and Zaha are both major offenders with this, the reason they can't cut it at the top. Don't even get me started on Townsend, has one trick and can actually limit a team. Andy Townsend likes him 'because he's so direct' when really he's only good against your Polands/Ukraines/Aston Villas. Lallana was really good last night, a damn sight better than Townsend but I bet Townsend will be on the plane and he won't.

It's this culture we have in England of rating players who score a screamer/wonder goal once every 10 games (after failing and giving the ball away around 50 times) because they look better on a highlights reel. We rate Zaha's over Hughes', while Spain rate Hughes' over Zaha's.

Sterling is such a flashy ****, always tries to score the wonder goal instead of set someone up. I think intelligence with the ball is something that (after watching last night) almost all the England attackers don't have. So many like Sturridge who always try to do the trick or turn instead of playing it safe. It works against West Brom, but against Germany you're going to end up looking like an idiot. Sterling and Zaha are both major offenders with this, the reason they can't cut it at the top. Don't even get me started on Townsend, has one trick and can actually limit a team. Andy Townsend likes him 'because he's so direct' when really he's only good against your Polands/Ukraines/Aston Villas. Lallana was really good last night, a damn sight better than Townsend but I bet Townsend will be on the plane and he won't.

It's this culture we have in England of rating players who score a screamer/wonder goal once every 10 games (after failing and giving the ball away around 50 times) because they look better on a highlights reel. We rate Zaha's over Hughes', while Spain rate Hughes' over Zaha's.

Good post

Archived