Will Hughes' performances for England U21 v San Marino U21

Tricky1884

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ironically enough, if Hughes was more flashy/selfish he could take his game up another level. We see in flashes just how good he is when dribbling, beating three a four players a team but these moments are far too rare.

He's 18 - give him a break.

Good post

Agree! There are far too many England players that fall into that category, from the starting team yesterday alone I would say Gerard, townsend, sturridge, cleverly all fit into that category unfortunately

Why are we not playing carrick in centre mid? Rooney is excellent and the system should be built to get him on the ball as much as possible, not rely on flashy wingers all the team

Hughes behind Rooney and Sturridge would be great. They would start behaving like strikers and stop trying to pick up the ball on the half way line. Hughes is exactly the type of player England is missing. I say pick him for the 30 man preliminary squad for Brazil. You may laugh because he plays for Derby County in the championship and is only 18 but look at the options England have. He won't make the final 23 but considering who people like this discuss he should be given an opportunity to show in the initial training he is someone to be considered after Brazil 2014. 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/england-world-cup-squad-writers-2803957

The World Cup is a global tournament. You need variety.How many English players play like Will....none.  

The nearest and best English versions of that type of player is probably Rooney and then Joe Cole!

Rooney had to play up front though as we have no strikers of note. Sturridge looks a shadow of himself without Suarez next to him. Joe cole had a few decent seasons, was nowhere near the level of the players I mentioned though. And dropped like a stone the last five years.

Cleverley is awful as well, don't see what he does? Do like Jordan Henderson though, improving all the time and doesn't hide which is why he can have the odd shocker. Like his attitude and energy.

Good post

Couldn't agree more about Townsend. He shoots everytime he gets the ball! Has a decent shot but on his off days is going to seriously hamper the team.

England seem to have loads of wingers who come in and do well for 12 months then gradually decline. Swp, Adam Johnson, Aaron Lennon, Ashley young, sterling, quite confident Townsend will be next. Saying he's a wide player I can't ever remember him setting up a goal with a cross.

Llalana is a great player, very intelligent and will continue to improve. Really like him and like the way he's grown to new divisions, new challenges etc. Gone from league one to championship to prem new boys, to decent prem side now to international. He improves quick enough to instantly excel. Great example for other young players

What I liked most about Hughes's performance was how simple he kept it.  All because you have the ability to take someone on you do not have to try every time you touch the ball (Zaha and Sterling please note).  

But when you are on the edge of the bow beat a couple throw in a dummy and there it is wonder goal.

We are so lucky to have such a talent, enjoy it whilst it lasts.

I can't really believe Lallana's career. The way he steps up a gear at every level but nobody has raved about him. Like he never looked destined to be a top end player but he just keeps stepping up.

Only a couple of appearances for England at the younger levels too hasn't he?

Seems to have been overlooked yet he's better than some of the overrated ***** knocking about.

I'd have him over Zaha any day. In 5 years time I think he'll still be better

I can't really believe Lallana's career. The way he steps up a gear at every level but nobody has raved about him. Like he never looked destined to be a top end player but he just keeps stepping up.

Seems to have been overlooked yet he's better than some of the overrated ***** knocking about.

Has good ability too but doesn't use it everytime he has the ball, keeps it simple when needed. Great energy, scores goals, gets stuck in and still only young, 24 ish?

Far superior to 99% of the youngsters coming through at big clubs who think they've made it at 18.

I'd have a dead cat over Zaha

Zaha is a terrific footballer, really is... thick as pig **** but he has the talent to go far. 

it'll happen for him, eventually. 

Archived