Comparison with previous promotion winning teams

RamNut

Pearson.....all he could do was run. In that respect he falls into the Sammon category. No way was Pearson better than Dawkins. For one thing if Dawkins gets the ball, he won't lose it...

Why the heck is running around a lot a key skill?

I will say, Leacock was superb that season, shame the season after killed his career.

Howard was perfect for that team. But no way is/was he better than Martin, who has so much more to his game.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Argh! I'd forgot about Pearson! At least as a winger he couldn't do much harm. When Nigel used to play him in the middle... wow. Just wow. I hope that was volunteer work. If he charged us to play like that...

Leacock was superb that season, shame the season after killed his career.

Even in the promotion season, billy subbed him after just 20 mins v stoke at home.

Wallington v grant : grant

Sage v christie : draw

Forsyth v forsyth ; draw

Williams v thorne : thorne

Hindmarch v Buxton : draw

Blades v keogh : draw

Micklewhite v russell : micklewhite

Davison v martin : davison just

Gee v bryson : bryson

Gregory v hughes : draw

Callaghan v dawkins : callaghan

Pretty good 3-3

Hoult v grant : grant

Carsley v christie : christie as a full back

Powell v forsyth : powell

Rowett v thorne : thorne

Yates v Buxton : yates

Stimac v keogh : stimac

Van der laan v hughes : hughes

Powell v dawkins : draw

Willems v bryson : bryson

Sturridge v russell : sturridge

Ward v martin : martin

Even better 6-4

Oh well

0-10 they were a bit special.

Your thoughts ?

Loads I would disagree with on that, the main one though....sage and carsley were both very good players, how can you say Christie is better-after you have seen him exactly how many times..??

Bobby was loads better than any striker we have now-so was Phil gee..

Hindmarch better than either of our centre halves too.

Mickey Forsyth better than Craig

George Williams proven, George Thorne potential.

Gregory and Hughes the same argument.

Loads I would disagree with on that, the main one though....sage and carsley were both very good players, how can you say Christie is better-after you have seen him exactly how many times..??

Bobby was loads better than any striker we have now-so was Phil gee..

Hindmarch better than either of our centre halves too.

Mickey Forsyth better than Craig

George Williams proven, George Thorne potential.

Gregory and Hughes the same argument.

Christie better than carsley because carsley wasn't a full back and was a nervous rookie at that time

I didn't say christie was better than sage

Similarly Bobby davison is rated higher than Martin so i'm not sure what your point is

Gee v bryson - bryson scored 16 and was player of the year, gee was a pacy but not as good a player. Close though.

Hindmarch was great but lacked pace - similar to bucko imo

Michael forsyth was overrated.

George williams was v good but couldn't finish. Thorne is a better passer and can finish.

Etc

Arthurs team was a great counter attacking team.

This team scored more goals 84 v 64 albeit played 4 more.

Overall i rated the two teams the same but its just a bit of fun.

Good point.....i forgot them.

Bywater v grant : grant

Mears v christie : draw

Mceverley v forsyth : forsyth

Johnson v thorne : thorne

Moore v Buxton : draw just

Leacock v keogh : keogh

Fagan v hughes : hughes

Peschisolido v russell : russell

Howard v martin : draw

Oakley v bryson : bryson

Pearson v dawkins : draw

7-0

Howard above martin simply for the amount of headers he won and the 1-0's we won, they were simply the reason we were up there.

edit: and peschisolido couldnt be beaten ;p

Unfortunately the respective promotion teams are not comparable because of the emergence of better psychotherapy and sports science that has developed in football over the past decade. (See T.M Riley (2003): http://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=en&lr=&id=0JGCAgAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PP1&dq=sports+science+football+&ots=tWfCphBbpc&sig=Jnc6NVWduwSRK12tQ1WkdxO70eI#v=onepage&q=sports%20science%20football&f=false ). Consequentially I cannot make an informed comment on the quality of our current teams and past teams. Furthermore, anecdotal evidence, particularly in sports has proven to be some of the most unreliable evidence for chronological comparisons (See http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=a4tznfeTxV8C&pg=PT123&dq=Anecdotal+evidence&hl=en&sa=X&ei=jafPU9CPE-aS7Aa-goAY&ved=0CD0Q6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=Anecdotal%20evidence&f=false (2012)

Mickey Forsyth was certainly over-rated, lol. !

Only won POTY, played 402 games in less than 10 seasons for the Rams, and IIRC, he also  had a run of over 100 consecutive games.

He is also noteworthy for having had three clubs in one day : West Brom, went on loan to Northampton and was recalled the same day to sign for Derby!

Mickey Forsyth was certainly over-rated, lol. !

Only won POTY, played 402 games in less than 10 seasons for the Rams, and IIRC, he also  had a run of over 100 consecutive games.

He is also noteworthy for having had three clubs in one day : West Brom, went on loan to Northampton and was recalled the same day to sign for Derby!

He was a great servant. No doubt about that.

I actually remember seeing him him play for west brom reserves a short while before we bought him.

But i thought sage was the better full back.

He was a great servant. No doubt about that.

I actually remember seeing him him play for west brom reserves a short while before we bought him.

But i thought sage was the better full back.

Obviously

Martin didn't make the step up to PL with Norwich despite scoring goals for fun during their Championship promotion season

Hardly true on any account.

Firstly, he scored 4 in 30 in Norwich's promotion season. Not a lot of fun in that.

Secondly, he made 5 appearances in 2 seasons for Norwich in the Premier League so wasn't given a chance.

He's a much better player now. Looks like he has managed to fix his shooting boots for the Championship after a previous flop last time he was here. Who's to say he can't do the same for the Premier League?

I dont think this season is going to be easy by any means.Their is imo several decent and good teams for only 3 spots.I think we are best team right now,especially since Cardiff seems to be offletting their better players or are thinking about doing so.We will see...

We have to do what Leicester did last season, which was that each player won his personal battle

in nearly every match they played. The whole team seemed to have the same mindset, and determination.

Simple really, and we'll go up AUTO.

Archived