Chris Martin has become a fans favourite

Curtains

I know the lad can tend to carry a bit of extra timber but I think he gets a lot of comments on his fitness because he has no pace and it makes him look like he's lumbering about. Truth is his workrate imo is phenomenal as is his commitment and I think if he wasn't fit he wouldn't manage to do what he does. We all know that our touch and reading of the game drops off when we're knackered - his touch and reading never fail.

Martin is simply a class apart and absolutely the key man in our team. Hero

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the lad can tend to carry a bit of extra timber but I think he gets a lot of comments on his fitness because he has no pace and it makes him look like he's lumbering about. Truth is his workrate imo is phenomenal as is his commitment and I think if he wasn't fit he wouldn't manage to do what he does. We all know that our touch and reading of the game drops off when we're knackered - his touch and reading never fail.

Martin is simply a class apart and absolutely the key man in our team. Hero

He could be lean and fit and still have no pace. That's not his game.

Probably the fittest man in our team - Connor Sammon. I rest my case. 

They'd have been better if they didn't though.

How do you know that?

Over the years there have been some footballing greats whose fitness levels may have not quite reached perfection, but if they are great as they are why try to change them?

Physical size is not the only indicator of fitness, I'm as skinny as they come, and I sure as hell ain't fit.

If Chris Martin loses some of that timber, he may well lose some effectiveness in holding off defenders, easier to knock off the ball. Besides, he can still haul his ass up and down that pitch, and he was barely injured at all last season. Fit as a butcher's dog.

He could be lean and fit and still have no pace. That's not his game.

Probably the fittest man in our team - Connor Sammon. I rest my case. 

You missed the point of the post my friend - I was saying that imo he isn't particularly an unfit player but because he has no pace people think he is unfit. My post actually refers to the fact that in order to maintain his high standard of play he has to be fit and therefore he must be. In addition I imagine he has to work a damn site harder to maintain fitness than some of our more skeletal players.

Don't mistake thin for fit; I used to have a poster of Sid Vicious on my wall as a teenager - he looked pretty thin from memory but I bet he wasn't fit

You missed the point of the post my friend - I was saying that imo he isn't particularly an unfit player but because he has no pace people think he is unfit. My post actually refers to the fact that in order to maintain his high standard of play he has to be fit and therefore he must be. In addition I imagine he has to work a damn site harder to maintain fitness than some of our more skeletal players.

Don't mistake thin for fit; I used to have a poster of Sid Vicious on my wall as a teenager - he looked pretty thin from memory but I bet he wasn't fit

I was actually agreeing with you, just badly.  :)

Back on topic

He has won fans round and become a favourite. Martin or Sammon -- no brainer

Sending off at Burnley was harsh and was the result that resigned us to the play offs - not blaming him for this though.

If he scores a similar number of goals next season then he will certainly be held in the same regard as Rob Hulse.

Back on topic

He has won fans round and become a favourite. Martin or Sammon -- no brainer

Sending off at Burnley was harsh and was the result that resigned us to the play offs - not blaming him for this though.

If he scores a similar number of goals next season then he will certainly be held in the same regard as Rob Hulse.

if sammon aimed for the net and we scored 25 bigens, he'd be a fan's favourite fish too.

The ball sticks to him because he has his own orbit.

But this is ideal, because he's a bit hefty he's very hard to get off the ball. The amount of times I've seen defenders practically grinding on Martin to try and get the ball off him this year is pretty crazy. You just can't get round him and they end up giving away fouls, as all he has to do is flop to the floor.

He scored a lot of easy goals, which is the sign of a good striker. Scored a few crackers too, that Bournemouth free-kick for one. If his flick against Forest had gone in, it would have been my goal of the season.

Our best player.

But this is ideal, because he's a bit hefty he's very hard to get off the ball. The amount of times I've seen defenders practically grinding on Martin to try and get the ball off him this year is pretty crazy. You just can't get round him and they end up giving away fouls, as all he has to do is flop to the floor.

He scored a lot of easy goals, which is the sign of a good striker. Scored a few crackers too, that Bournemouth free-kick for one. If his flick against Forest had gone in, it would have been my goal of the season.

Our best player.

Perfect summary of why he is so central to us.

Is that cloning machine ready yet?

Our best player.

Other clubs have this perception of him as someone who goes down easily whenever defenders get near him, and they think that's why he's so difficult.

The truth is, he goes down easily as soon as he feels contact that is going to knock him down and off the ball. Majority of the time he actually stays on his feet and shakes off the challenge. He is a very strong player. Like you say, defenders have two choices, attempt a challenge and get shrugged off, or attempt to take him down and hope that the ref doesn't give the free kick or penalty. With the amount of thugs in this league, they mostly go for the latter out of frustration. Chris Martin does genuinely get fouled more than most players do. How else are they going to get the ball off him?

Other clubs have this perception of him as someone who goes down easily whenever defenders get near him, and they think that's why he's so difficult.

The truth is, he goes down easily as soon as he feels contact that is going to knock him down and off the ball. Majority of the time he actually stays on his feet and shakes off the challenge. He is a very strong player. Like you say, defenders have two choices, attempt a challenge and get shrugged off, or attempt to take him down and hope that the ref doesn't give the free kick or penalty. With the amount of thugs in this league, they mostly go for the latter out of frustration. Chris Martin does genuinely get fouled more than most players do. How else are they going to get the ball off him?

I know what I would do if playing against him. I'd take him down. For good.

He is about as annoying player as can be, I'm delighted his ours.

Our best player.

Spot on ,he takes a battering up front for us every game .Extend his contract please.

Not me. Always goes down when he can and should. Always a silly challenge that does it. As long as he doesn't start biting people.

This seems to show how values have changed in the game.

At one time diving, going down easily, simulation....whatever you want to call it......was despised as gamesmanship.

Now gamesmanship is acceptable....even applauded.

This seems to show how values have changed in the game.

At one time diving, going down easily, simulation....whatever you want to call it......was despised as gamesmanship.

Now gamesmanship is acceptable....even applauded.

I think what Martin does is perfectly acceptable. I never find myself saying get up you fool. Always laughing at the defender that committed the foul. He is a big guy and can stay on his feet but it is not like he is cheating or actually diving. Always sufficient contact for me. 

What he does is intelligent. 

Archived