Paul Coutts

Scott129

There's a new video on RamsPlayer of him talking about his rehabilitation from injury, where he sounds very determined to start playing again and begin working his way back into the side. I'd imagine there's a pretty big chip on his shoulder too, having to watch us last season without being able to take part.

My question to you guys, though, is where do you think he fits into our squad? Is he first XI competition, just depth or is he deadwood that needs shifting? And, if he does get game time, where does he play? Winger or centre mid? Decent player to have around just for versatility, in my opinion.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was one of our best players at the start of last season before he got his injury. He will provide good competition for centre midfield with Bryson, Hendrick and Hughes although personally I think he would do a decent job in the holding role.

Centre mid is the only real place for him in the current formation so looks like he will be back up unless he can displace Hughes, Bryson (if staying) or Hendrick. 

Pretty handy back up to have though, I have always wondered if he would be able to make the transition to rightback like Forsyth has.

Couttsy got some unnecessary stick not last season but the season before about him not being good without Brayford.

The poor guy was playing out of position. He is much better in the centre IMO. Him and Jeff's performance against Brighton was the best midfield display of the season. Strong in the tackle, efficient passing and dominated the whole midfield together. 

Cover at RW but serious competition for CM in the Hughes/Hendrick/Bryson positions, which is easily where he's at his best, I reckon. I'm looking forward to seeing him again and he could flourish under McClaren.

I reckon you're right here. He's not really had the chance to impress McClaren either so I'm hoping he grabs the opportunity when he does get it.

If Bryson were to leave, I think he'd be very adequate cover for the centre mids.

Centre mid is the only real place for him in the current formation so looks like he will be back up unless he can displace Hughes, Bryson (if staying) or Hendrick. 

Pretty handy back up to have though, I have always wondered if he would be able to make the transition to rightback like Forsyth has.

Hmm, interesting idea there. He's certainly got the attributes for it, I reckon (strong in the tackle, likes to get forward, etc.).

I still maintain he could do a Forsyth and become a decent RB.

Would guess that too much hard work graft would have to go into him changing position.. Unless like I stated before in us changing tactics and formation.

3 central with Coutts/Forsyth wing backs. Thorne/Jeff in the middle, Hughes free role behind Martin/Russell.

I like Coutts. Always, always tries to make the right pass. Never plays anyone in trouble and would rather take the pressure himself. Only problem is, he sometimes takes a bit long to get his head up and see what's really on.

He's tidy and although he may not be preferred over any of our current 3 we've got a 46+ game season ahead.

Like has been said, he was played out of position. He did alright

Would guess that too much hard work graft would have to go into him changing position.. Unless like I stated before in us changing tactics and formation.

3 central with Coutts/Forsyth wing backs. Thorne/Jeff in the middle, Hughes free role behind Martin/Russell.

3-5-2 is looking good at WC

Archived