Dad furious after girl, 11, has mouth Sellotaped by teacher

Day

A CLASSROOM ‘chatterbox’ had her mouth taped shut by a teacher – because she wouldn’t stop talking.

Elise Smith, 11, was made to sit with Sellotape over her lips for about 15 minutes as a punishment.

Her furious father, Marc Smith, lodged a complaint with William Allitt School, the local education authority and watchdog Ofsted.

Now the Mail can reveal that although school governors have criticised the teacher’s actions as ‘misguided’, no further disciplinary action was taken.

It is understood he has since apologised to the pupil and her family.

Mr Smith spoke out about the incident after the school – in Sunnyside, Newhall – was recently placed into special measures following a damning Ofsted inspection report.

He said: “The children were all talking in class and were told to be quiet, but my daughter kept on talking.

“He should just have sent her out.

“You cannot lay a finger on children.”

Mr Smith, of Brunt Lane, Woodville, added: “I was at work when it happened, but my daughter told mewhen I got home and the next morning I went to the school.

“I was fuming.”

At the time of the incident, former head teacher Mike McCandless had to get both sides of the story and written statements from other pupils.

Mr Smith said he was angry that the teacher in question was never suspended and remains at the school.

He said: “The teacher apologised but has not been punished enough, in my opinion, because he didn’t get suspended and is still working at that school.

“I heard about teachers in another school doing it and they were suspended, so why not here?

“I would personally not want that teacher working at that school.

“I spoke to the county council and they went into the school and asked questions, and I reported it to Ofsted as well.

“I originally kept her out of school at the start but she was missing her friends.

“I was reluctant to send her back but I had to trust the school.”

Jean Mead, chairman of governors at William Allitt School, said: “The welfare of pupils is always our top priority.

“This was a misguided action rather than a malicious one.

“It happened in December last year. It shouldn’t have taken place under any circumstances – the teacher immediately regretted his actions and apologised.

“We worked alongside the local authority to carry out a thorough investigation and appropriate action was taken.”

Read more: http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/News/EXCLUSIVE-Dad-furious-after-girl-11-has-mouth-Sellotaped-by-teacher-20140609080000.htm#ixzz349gML49E

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wants the teacher out the job, complaining to whoever will listen.......wonder if he's told his daughter to shut up when the teacher asks you to. I'd have used duct tape for the whole lesson.

Perhaps the the gobby little girl will learn to shut up and respect her fellow classmates. As for her father, he needs to take a good look at himself and see where he is going wrong with bringing the child up.

Remember what it was like when you were a kid? I'd have been shitting myself that my parents had found out I'd been in trouble. No way would I want them to find out - let alone the chances of them wading in at school in my defence.

And sorry, even if they were all talking, it doesn't give your daughter a green light to join in.

I bet the father is looking for a compensation payout for mental anguish.

SillyBilly

Zero respect in the classroom these days when the power is so heavily skewed in the favour of the busy body parents and misbehaving pupils. I am fully being the teachers who are trying in vain to teach in these conditions. We had some of the best teachers and best education standards in the world before politicians started meddling and discipline went out the window...and now we're plummeting down international league tables. Perhaps when we stop blaming the teachers and look at the state of society and the effect that constant state interference is having in the classroom we might actually start to move forwards.

Really don't know how you lot can justify taping a child's mouth shut... It's the parents' job to teach the kid about respect, not the teacher. So while I agree that the parents have to do a better job of raising the girl, the problem needs to be dealt with at home responsibly, not at school.

Ya can't lay a finger on kids...

Utter tosh. Getting hit by a blackboard rubber was the hilight if my school day. Either that or a scutch round me head and it never harmed me, it made me behave. Too much ***** namby pamby rubbish in schools now.

Ya can't lay a finger on kids...

Utter tosh. Getting hit by a blackboard rubber was the hilight if my school day. Either that or a scutch round me head and it never harmed me, it made me behave. Too much ***** namby pamby rubbish in schools now.

how's your new head mistress job going?

I think I would thrown up if I saw anyone got hit at school, hate bullies and I didn't need fear for me to behave. Had good teachers and parents.

I did need a lot of support when I was younger, back in the good "old days" I would have been hit every day and hated school.

Cane was used as a deterrant in my school, we knew it was there, we behaved. I was bullied but the ones responsible never got it, I wish they had've done, it might have made them stop.

Archived