Conor Sammon

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because this forum is full of a.holes who have nothing else better to do than berate our ex managers and moderators who have little else better to do than wind folks up.

Onwards and forwards...

A little later than expected, although I knew you'd turn up.

Maybe go back and read again and turn on your sarcasm detector before taking a pop...and I agree, we have a few a.holes on here

No he didn't. He quoted a ballpark figure with respect to the net cost, and people tried to work it out for themselves.

Yes. He said the Sammon transfer cost the club over £2m that year alone. So it's not hard to imagine that £15,000 a week is about right.

Wasting a couple of million.

Been a regular member of the first team squad for a couple of years, selected for his country. Well thought of my many people within the profession. Maybe there is a bigger picture, maybe it's difficult to see that picture on a small screen. He is not perfect but he is not as bad some attempt to make out.

Whilst he clearly has an awkwardness about him, so many very well respected people within the game speak highly about him that he obviously has a value to teams. So, who is right, the odd ones on here who exaggerate his shortcomings or the people who work with him on a daily basis? :-)

So the CEO of the company is giving out employees salary details in the pub; bad boy. I will ask him when I see him dropping off the kids at school next week.

Who? Do you mean Martinez that bought him and hardly played him and sold him 12 months later? Or Clough who blew £2m on him and hardly played him this season? Or Mclaren who was lumbered with him and never plays him? Or Ireland mangers who take him but never play him?

I had as high hopes for the fish as much as the next fan but let's not be silly. He has been a flop. £1.2mill is a lot for this club to splash out on one player, Sammon was signed to score goals and hasn't delivered. His talent is putting pressure on defenders...I could do that.

11k a week

572k basic wages

77k NI

Add on the 1.2m fee

That makes £1.84m

So 160k needed to make the £2m

What's the average agents cut in a deal? if it were 15% that would be 180k before signing on bonuses.

He said more than £2m

Who? Do you mean Martinez that bought him and hardly played him and sold him 12 months later? Or Clough who blew £2m on him and hardly played him this season? Or Mclaren who was lumbered with him and never plays him? Or Ireland mangers who take him but never play him?

Phew!!! $2M is it now? I don't recall him being outside the Wigan or Derby first team squads in recent times. I think you are underestimating our current head coach, he would certainly not be lumbered with anyone. Same with the Ireland squad the two most recent managers didn't have to pick him for the squad. Personally, I wouldn't be distressed if he left, but all this negativity from people who seem to know little about the correct figures.

11k a week

572k basic wages

77k NI

Add on the 1.2m fee

That makes £1.84m

So 160k needed to make the £2m

What's the average agents cut in a deal? if it were 15% that would be 180k before signing on bonuses.

I can tell you that you are way out on a typical agents fee.

Been a regular member of the first team squad for a couple of years, selected for his country. Well thought of my many people within the profession. Maybe there is a bigger picture, maybe it's difficult to see that picture on a small screen. He is not perfect but he is not as bad some attempt to make out.

I agree there's some needless slating. But the point is we could and should have got a lot more player for our money. A player who is one of the top earners and has commanded a hefty fee should justify his investment by being a key member to our squad. The reality is that Sammon could have been injured all season, and we would have still have finished third.

Sammon has been a really poor signing. I don't think we should get too upset about it - our two top goal scorers cost £400k in transfer fees between them! But it is incredibly frustrating that when we did have some money to invest we got a striker who's about energy, strength and persistence when really big fees should be rewarded with quality, verve and most of all for a striker - goals. It is hard to take when even before we signed him, Sammon had done little to suggest he had that about him apart from one decent goal return for Kilmarnock in the SPL.

High or low?

Even if it was only 80k each in fees it hits £2m so sammons wages wouldn't need to be anywhere near £15k a week to break the £2m in the year figure.

Around half what you were quoting (slightly less than).

I agree there's some needless slating. But the point is we could and should have got a lot more player for our money. A player who is one of the top earners and has commanded a hefty fee should justify his investment by being a key member to our squad. The reality is that Sammon could have been injured all season, and we would have still have finished third.

Sammon has been a really poor signing. I don't think we should get too upset about it - our two top goal scorers cost £400k in transfer fees between them! But it is incredibly frustrating that when we did have some money to invest we got a striker who's about energy, strength and persistence when really big fees should be rewarded with quality, verve and most of all for a striker - goals. It is hard to take when even before we signed him, Sammon had done little to suggest he had that about him apart from one decent goal return for Kilmarnock in the SPL.

Paying £1.2m for player that cost Wigan 600k a year earlier with a scoring record of just 1 in 32 was absolutely criminal. The trouble we have now is that we are lumbered with a player that's not good enough for us but who's wages are too expensive for anyone in league 2 (which is where he belongs).

I suppose we can only hope that our esteemed previous manger can do the decent thing and take him off our hands. You never know buy Cloughs reckoning he's probably doubled in price again and he'll shell out £2.4m on him!

Archived