The Rams' Season in Five Games

Posh Ram

Was talking about this on the way yesterday.

If you could pick five games that you think best "describe" our season, which five games would you pick?

Personally, I would go for...

Forest 1 Derby 0 - because it was the game that Clough got sacked - the game our season was changed for the better imo.

Ipswich 4 Derby 4 - the style of our comeback was really impressive, and what a game for the neutral...

Wigan 1 Derby 3 - I think this was the first time I really knew this season would be special. Had expected a really tough game, and then we were 3-0 up in what... 30 minutes?

Derby 5 Forest 0 - for obvious reasons. Furthermore, I think it was the perfect showcase of how significantly we improved over the course of the season. And the best feeling of a pretty memorable campaign.

For the last game I was troubled. Yesterday's devastating loss was a defining point of our season.

But so was Derby 4 Brighton 1 - an incredible performance to dispatch what was a decent enough team on a big stage. Truth be told, I thought we'd definitely go up after that... ah well, it wasn't to be.

Honourable mentions

Yeovil 0 Derby 3 

Millwall 1 Derby 5

Derby 5 Blackpool 1

Birmingham 3 Derby 3

Derby 0 Millwall 1

Derby 4 Watford 2

Derby 0 QPR 1

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really sure about the 'to describe our season' but the SIX games I see as 'big moments' for me personally are:

Forest 1-0 Derby (Clough gone)

Wigan 1-3 Derby (First time I knew something special could happen)

Derby 3-2 Yeovil (We knew the fight was there, but the hunger shown to win this game epitomized everything good about our team)

Derby 1-0 QPR (Finally dispelling the myth that we can't beat top six clubs)

Burnley 2-0 Derby (The game that swung automatic promotion out of our favour and Martin's absence against Millwall told)

Derby 4-1 Brighton (Just illustrated how good we are to demolish a fellow top six side in such fashion - my thoughts after the game were simply... No matter what happens against QPR, this season has been brilliant)

The final minutes of the home game against Yeovil were perhaps the most electric of the season for me and encapsulated the spirit and attitude of the team.

The home game against Millwall was also a strong reminder of two things: the importance of Martin and how we are blunted by the opposition "parking the bus".

The two Burnley games, win them and we would have gone up automatically

Forest away, end of an old/start of a new era.

Wigan away, proved that we were a finally a top 6 team.

Brighton at home play-off, so easy could have been 7 or 8-1.

The two Burnley games, win them and we would have gone up automatically

The home game against Burnley was appalling. We were comprehensively beaten and never looked like we were going to score. Epitomised the stark contrast of Clough's team and McLaren's team! I felt robbed after the Burnley away game after that ludicrous decision to disallow that goal and send Martin off.

The home game against Burnley was appalling. We were comprehensively beaten and never looked like we were going to score. Epitomised the stark contrast of Clough's team and McLaren's team! I felt robbed after the Burnley away game after that ludicrous decision to disallow that goal and send Martin off.

Didn't remember the performance just funny how important these head to heads with your rivals can be, 12 point swing!

I'd have put the last match as the Wembley final

If there was one thing that summed up where we struggled this season it was the games where the good teams came and defended solidly. We really struggled to break them down and that was really where we lost the points that might have got us into the automatic spots.

Ironic really considering we ended the season as top scorers, but there you go. We routinely destroyed teams with weak defences, but we didn't have the  answers when up against teams with quality back four and defensive midfielders.

So the defeat last Saturday summed up an all too important  part of the season for me.

The Burnley away game was pretty heart-breaking. To get so close to them, only to be robbed by that inbred c-unit of a referee. I mean, to not give a pen, wrongfully send a man off and rule out a goal within the same decision is some bloody efficient ineptitude!

PistoldPete2

I'd have put the last match as the Wembley final

If there was one thing that summed up where we struggled this season it was the games where the good teams came and defended solidly. We really struggled to break them down and that was really where we lost the points that might have got us into the automatic spots.

Ironic really considering we ended the season as top scorers, but there you go. We routinely destroyed teams with weak defences, but we didn't have the  answers when up against teams with quality back four and defensive midfielders.

So the defeat last Saturday summed up an all too important  part of the season for me.

Yes and the fact that we can concede the odd silly goal as well.  Doesnt matter so much when you are scoring for fun too, but boy did it cost us on Saturday. 

I guess tho rather than change our style of play, we just have to make sure we add just enough to our game  to make a repeat of Saturday , or Millwall and  Bolton at home pretty impossible. That's what Burnley  did, winning almost every home game.   We were nearly there , but Burnley had two free scoring forwards , we have only one at most.

Bamford was maybe regarded as too much of a luxury , but with both Sammon and Bamford on the bench on Saturday we had only a minute from the 2 together. That means we need 1 or maybe 2 new strikers, doesnt look like McLaren had confidence in either. Also either work on the corners or bring in someone who is better at taking them.    

True enough

I really hope that Steve Mc come up with a plan for how to break teams down. We get a lot of corners when we press against teams who are sitting back (as you'd expect) yet we barely took a handful of good corners all season. Neither the delivery or the end product was up to much.

You should be expecting your centre-backs to be getting more joy from corners, but Keogh/Buxton hardly got on the end of any. In fact the best goal from a corner I recall was Zak Whitbread against Ipswich. Thumping unstoppable header.

Brighton 1-2 Derby

Weren't the weak away team we once were, also showed a glimpse of the significance of Martin's role.

Forest 1-0 Derby

Clough gone.

Derby 4-4 Ipswich

McClaren in

Derby 5-0 Forest

Defined our season, fantastic performance. Showed the impact of all 3 loanees, the brilliance of Martin who didn't score but was unreal all afternoon and the goals of Bryson.

Derby 0-1 QPR

After everything, we weren't promoted. We will be next season.

Archived