GMR

GetMeRangers

Some of you, though perhaps not in hindsight, asked me to continue to visit this entertaining forum, of whom most posters are decent football fans

I dont think you will find many, if any, QPR fans who felt we, in any shape or form, deserved yesterdays victory. Before the game, I could not see us beating you and, on the day, I still cant quite believe how we managed it.

From the seeing 'arry's line up, it was fairly clear that we were going to try and replicate the Wigan game plan... contain you in the first half and then perhaps step up to a more attacking formation in the second.

The first half was a non-event. If the experience of our players was to count for anything, it was the ability to kill a game (we have endured this all season). Once the second half started, your domination suggested that it was just a matter of time before you scored. However, there appeared to be some frustration creeping in to the Derby players. Once O'Neill had been sent off (much that I loathe him, I felt mason showed professionalism in consulting the linesman - for me it was a straight red, no questions asked), it became a question of when rather than if

If there was to be a criticism of your players/Mac, it is the slightly odd scenario of being poor at set pieces, corners in particular, versus the ability to cross well when in open play. Some mentioned this problem before the game, on here, and form what I saw, you were never likely to score from the numerous corners.

AS the game wore on, I and many around me, were presuming that Harry's plan was to hold out till penalties, but few could see it happening. The goal? No need to recount it, but the luck involved was considerable until it fell to Zamora.

Positves from yesterday

1. Impressive singing from the Derby fans, particularly the fans anthem (though couldnt work out what it was or the words)
  2. Meeting many great Derby fans and what a credit they are to the football community
  3. Mac will have you walk this league next year - you are too good, entertaining and attacking 
  4. You are unlikely to come across many sides with as experienced at killing a game next year
  5. Mac and your players staying to applaud QPR, particularly given the circumstances
  6. Love or hate him, Joey Barton's words after the game and his general conduct in speaking to all of your players. while it was the right and decent thing to do, I am pleased that he actually did (particularly given the celebrations being displayed by the rest of our team and staff)
  7. Some of the heartache of yesterday will be tempered by watching us struggle next year
  8. From a personal point of view, seeing us win at Wembley against the odds
  9. Taking some pleasure from the ramifications of FFP, when our accounts are published on 1 Dec (and most football fans generally)

Negatives

1. For you, the cruellest and most unjust way to lose - most decent QPR supporters and with the exception of the Gumps, all other fans would say so
  2. A fairly strong feeling of not being able to celebrate, properly, our victory. Wonderful as the moment was, walking from the stadium, mine and many I spoke to, were only really talking of feeling gutted that your team and fans had been so cruelly robbed
  3. I found it particularly distasteful, those that choose to sing "We only had ten men". It is not as if you are Chelscum. Fair to say, we have our share of idiots
  4. Same idiots goading Derby fans... appalling
  5. Poor singing from us, but that is what happens when a small club sells 40K of tickets... every aunt, daughter, wife, postie, dog had been got a ticket... Come on U Rs is about the stretch of learning a song
  6. We have a difficult season ahead, coupled with, no doubt, lengthy legal battles and the world against us (even more so now) from December

I could go on, and doubt any are still reading. You have my sympathy, Been where you are now, when in our relegation season, prior to the last, we played Manure at home and Cantona scored in the 99th minute. That one result pretty well condemned us to slipping a league, just as the Sky money started to kick in. It took us another 13 years, further relegation, administration and ridicule (the four year plan). For what? To become the most disliked club in England (possibly the world?). Yesterday has not helped much on improving the image of our club....

Ho-hum, under my breath I murmur "We are Premier League", but it does feel a rather empty victory.

Good luck for next season. I, and I am sure many other QPR fans, will be hoping that it is a rip roaring success and that justice is somehow seen to prevail.

I hope you will give the privelage of posting on here from time to time and thank you for those few days in the run up to the game... it was my pleasure to be able to post on here http://dcfcfans.co.uk/topic/14674-play-off-final-derby-county-v-queens-park-rangers/

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a weird atmosphere walking from the stadium. 

There were hundreds of QPR fans mixed in with our lot leaving, and both sets were as quiet and glum as each other by the looks of it. 

It was a gutting result, but ultimately no complaints against QPR - we dominated large parts of the game, which was always going to be the case when you went down to 10 men, but defensively from that point onwards I thought you were superb. We've struggled when decent sides have sat in and looked to hit us on the break throughout the season. In many ways, you going to 10 men was just about the worst thing that could have happened. The game had been fairly open up until that point, and continuing in the same way for the last half hour I was fairly confident that the game would become more and more stretched which would have been great for us. 

Sadly, not to be. 

Ultimately, we didn't deserve it. We had half an hour to put you away when you went down to 10, and then the number of basic defensive errors that led to the goal.....no, no complaints at all. Just very disappointing that we shot ourselves in the foot. 

Ah well, good luck next season pal - no real ill will towards QPR. Not the fans at least. :)

There were a lot of QPR fans who were quite gracious in victory yesterday outside the ground, coming up to us and saying how well we played, we were robbed, we'll go straight up next year and all that.

Thank you. It was difficult to write on here, after all the pre-match banter. I do wish results like that on some clubs... no need to guess which, but @StaffsRam is absolutely spot on. The wish to be celebrating promotion, yet those feeling drowned by the embarrassment of how it was accomplished, and sympathy towards your fans.

I agree that the sending off was probably the worst that could have happened. It has been mentioned that the team is young and lacking some experience. For the Premiership, you need to be able to defend as we did, something we struggled to do the last time we were promoted. That promotion season we scored for fun, but the premiership was a very nasty awakening for us. Many fans knew when we went up that time, that we were not ready... we had just struck lucky on a good season and good group of players. 

In my opinion, there will be a lot of good to come from this season for you. I hope you can hold on tot hat squad and another year will see you storm the division but more importantly, gain the extra bit of experience to make life in the Prem more bearable

As for our team... I thought their reactions at the end were a bit over the top... I would have liked to see them be a little more magnanimous, but hey, they are footballers and only JB could be said to have shown any sense of maturity or empathy

By the way... harry is clueless. That is the second time in the recent games, that Clint Hill has over ruled him for a substitution. Harry wanted to take Holiett off.

Add one more positive... it may look as if we have the start of being a proper club again, where those within the club progress through to coaching and management... JB and Clint Hill, along with Ale faurlin... grasping for straws here! LOL 

Best visiting fan we've had on this forum - ever. Come back any time and share your obvious good sense with us, GMR.

Most of the genuine QPR fans I met after the game were magnanimous in victory and left me with good impressions. I had a good chat with a guy of probably even older than my age who had what I think was his grandson with him. We spoke about players like Jim Langley, Rodney Marsh, Les Allen and of course Dave Mackay, Kevin Hector, John O'Hare, Willie Carlin and the like.

There were a couple eejits who seemed intent on goading Derby fans into a fight outside Thirsty Eddie's after the game, but the pub bouncers were good guys and sorted things out very quickly.

Amazing to see from the posts on this forum that fans come from far and wide. As a kid growing up in Belfast with no connection with the town supporting Derby was pretty lonely. Though walking into class after Derby beat Real Madrid 4-1 was pretty special.

Good to see I wasn't the only one and pleased I've stuck with the team through thick and mostly thin since.

Everyone disappointed but haven't been this optimistic in 15 years. Hope this link helps ease the pain a bit. Shows Wembley trips haven't always been miserable. Listen from about 11 minutes in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p009yrr3

It was a weird atmosphere walking from the stadium. 

There were hundreds of QPR fans mixed in with our lot leaving, and both sets were as quiet and glum as each other by the looks of it. 

It was a gutting result, but ultimately no complaints against QPR - we dominated large parts of the game, which was always going to be the case when you went down to 10 men, but defensively from that point onwards I thought you were superb. We've struggled when decent sides have sat in and looked to hit us on the break throughout the season. In many ways, you going to 10 men was just about the worst thing that could have happened. The game had been fairly open up until that point, and continuing in the same way for the last half hour I was fairly confident that the game would become more and more stretched which would have been great for us. 

Sadly, not to be. 

Ultimately, we didn't deserve it. We had half an hour to put you away when you went down to 10, and then the number of basic defensive errors that led to the goal.....no, no complaints at all. Just very disappointing that we shot ourselves in the foot. 

Ah well, good luck next season pal - no real ill will towards QPR. Not the fans at least. :)

This, I was amazed how many QPR fans left at full time. When you walked up the steps to the tube station and looked back down the Way there were loads of them. 

No doubt these were the hangers on that GMR mentions. 

This, I was amazed how many QPR fans left at full time. When you walked up the steps to the tube station and looked back down the Way there were loads of them. 

To be fair, probably no different to us. 

I was amazed around the 32m mark, just after the applause for Bloomers, at the steady stream of Derby fans over on the lefthand side, who were heading out for refreshments or a p1ss - FFS, there's nearly a quarter of an hour to HT, where the fook are you going?!

All the Rangers fans I spoke too were very decent. Totally unexpected. Really decent.

That cheers me. Looking at our own Forum (I dont count WATRB, as many know), it is rather devoid of supporters putting finger to keboard... many not quite sure whether they should be celebrating promotion too vocally. We were there, many know what a result feels like and many would rather that we could have been celebrating a victory which was more deserved.

Very much hope you can replicate Leics (am I allowed to mention them on here LOL) and just move on from this. Auto next year and none of the lottery of a final

You have entertained many this season with your style of play. I cant deny that I was envious of your despatching of Brighton in the second leg, though our performance against Wigan was our best of the season and from a R's fans point of view, equally up there.... and feel free to mock.... we have not played very entertaining stuff this year!

If you could delete the first 10 years of his career you could actually like Joey Barton.

Heads in the right place usually, tendency to be a massive cock sometimes, actually masks his brilliant technical ability on the ball.

Great to see away fans like yourself on here sir. Gracious in victory!

I was amazed around the 32m mark, just after the applause for Bloomers, at the steady stream of Derby fans over on the lefthand side, who were heading out for refreshments or a p1ss - FFS, there's nearly a quarter of an hour to HT, where the fook are you going?!

And how many left at about 41minutes like it was half time? Jesus Christ. I don't think I could have gone to the toilet in the game even if I were desperate - terrified I'd miss something.

Ours as well, about 37m of for the break... WTF... not proper fans or been to a footy match. We had some up at 19 mins... rem,ember looking at the clock, thinking it cant be half time already

That would be them... I wont pretend that I left early. Shallow as the victory was, I still wanted to saviour it (and get some flags for my sons who had been syphoned off to cyprus for a wedding - 28 years to wait before we are at Wembley again!)

87+k attendence. Would have made a better game if you had managed to take an early lead, as harry had set us up to defend.  More the pity

And how many left at about 41minutes like it was half time? Jesus Christ. I don't think I could have gone to the toilet in the game even if I were desperate - terrified I'd miss something.

Perhaps they knew something that we didn't - it did look like it took an age for everyone to get back to their seats after HT, and that was on all four sides of the ground.

Archived