Bradford Fire

davenportram

29 years ago tomorrow (11th May) one of the worst tragedies in UK football took place.

56 people went to a football game to celebrate their team winning the old third division title, and never came home. A further 256 were injured.

It's also one if the least spoken about tragedies, and one that could have been so so much worse. Thank god there were no perimeter fences on that stand.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can remember coming home on a minibus from the match, Newport I think it was - and hearing about it on the radio.  Made your blood run cold. 

:(

Interesting given the wall to wall coverage on Radio 5 Live of the Hillsborough tragedy that there's not even a mention of this anniversary today.  Probably say they're holding it all back for the 30th...........

There are times when I think that we didn't have a choice but to develop PP - 3 sides of the BBG were made up of wooden stands.

I reckon for all the posturing its the political element that makes Hillsborough a "story" in the eyes of the bbc, while Bradford has no juicy side story to work themselves up about so gets relatively ignored.

Given the occasion today and the atmosphere a minute's silence would be difficult to impose. That's not to say we shouldn't have one, and that people should not be capable of adhering to it, but it only takes a couple of people to make noise in a silent stadium to sound like it's all kicking off.

If people want to stand up on 56 minutes, fine, that's a nice touch.

Given the occasion today and the atmosphere a minute's silence would be difficult to impose. That's not to say we shouldn't have one, and that people should not be capable of adhering to it, but it only takes a couple of people to make noise in a silent stadium to sound like it's all kicking off.

If people want to stand up on 56 minutes, fine, that's a nice touch.

Yeah I think the club know a silence might be difficult so they're promoting the 56th minute stand up on the official site.

Archived