Player Suggestion Thread - Summer 2014

oomarkwright

I agree in part, but I would trust Steve if he did bring him in, that with coaching and a drop in division might spark the ability that the Utd scouts saw in him (you know, the same quality Djemba Djemba had)

If McClaren brought him in, I'd support the decision and give him a fair chance. He's the experienced manager and I'm not, he understands the game better than I do.

But based on everything I've seen of him, we shouldn't even bother looking at him.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obertan? Seriously? He's awful. Oh, but he made 14 appearances for United so he must be half decent.

14 goals and 12 assists in 172 games. Roughly 1 in 12 in terms of goalscoring. Been a part of 26 goals in his entire club career. Chris Martin has scored that many this season not counting assists. 

Stats aren't the be all and end all though, what I've seen of him he looks quick and decent on the ball. I was trying to find a prem quality player within our budget that could be a viable move for us.

Who would you suggest?

Stats aren't the be all and end all though, what I've seen of him he looks quick and decent on the ball. I was trying to find a prem quality player within our budget that could be a viable move for us.

Who would you suggest?

He is fairly quick but he doesn't go anywhere or do anything. Stats aren't the be all and end all but they are a good indicator, and he doesn't appear to have ever had a good season in his career.

If we're looking Premier League, then we won't really know the viable options without being in the know. What do Leicester have planned for Lloyd Dyer? Imagine they're replacing him in the summer. Who knows.

He is fairly quick but he doesn't go anywhere or do anything. Stats aren't the be all and end all but they are a good indicator, and he doesn't appear to have ever had a good season in his career.

If we're looking Premier League, then we won't really know the viable options without being in the know. What do Leicester have planned for Lloyd Dyer? Imagine they're replacing him in the summer. Who knows.

He's already agreed to sign for Watford apparently. Plus he's 31 and therefore is probably past his prime.

Funnily enough Manchester only signed Obertan because they were sounded out on the signing of Gouffran at the time from bordeoux. Obertan was considered as the next best thing after Gouffran and Chamahk at the time. But look at all three of them now. Gouffran isn't exactly lighting it up at Newcastle, Obertan wasn't at United long and least said about Chamahk, but he has done well for palace. Should we sign Obertan? I think he had blistering pace but it has never been affective in the prem. Ward Dawkins and Russell at times have an end product, so I'd prefer them over Obertan any day.

Long time member, first post!

But I for some reason had a bit of knowledge on this subject!

Funnily enough Manchester only signed Obertan because they were sounded out on the signing of Gouffran at the time from bordeoux. Obertan was considered as the next best thing after Gouffran and Chamahk at the time. But look at all three of them now. Gouffran isn't exactly lighting it up at Newcastle, Obertan wasn't at United long and least said about Chamahk, but he has done well for palace. Should we sign Obertan? I think he had blistering pace but it has never been affective in the prem. Ward Dawkins and Russell at times have an end product, so I'd prefer them over Obertan any day.

Long time member, first post!

But I for some reason had a bit of knowledge on this subject!

I think Obertan showed glimpses at United and Newcastle of having something special and I still think he has the potential to be a great player. If we gave him a run of games in the Championship, I reckon he would do really well. A season long loan with option to buy would be perfect, providing his wages aren't too high.

I think Obertan showed glimpses at United and Newcastle of having something special and I still think he has the potential to be a great player. If we gave him a run of games in the Championship, I reckon he would do really well. A season long loan with option to buy would be perfect, providing his wages aren't too high.

Yeah, he hasn't really been given a run in a team yet. This might be his level, would say though I believe that our wingers are better if not similar to Obertan. Wouldn't say he'd improve us in that area. Would be better with a winger who could put a good ball in.

Yeah, he hasn't really been given a run in a team yet. This might be his level, would say though I believe that our wingers are better if not similar to Obertan. Wouldn't say he'd improve us in that area. Would be better with a winger who could put a good ball in.

I think Obertan is better than Ward simply because Obertan has the ability to beat a man. Ward attempts to run past people but fails a lot of the time due to simply not being fast enough. Ward's delivery at times is appalling also. I agree, we need a winger with a decent end product who ideally is fast enough to take players on and win.

Roger Espinoza, i watched him in the play off semi for Wigan and he was class, full of running and strong to go with it, looks a leader as well. He was brilliant for Honduras last night, ran their midfield, not to mention that header where he took out both Henderson and Lallana and left them in a heap on the ground. No idea where he'd fit into our team though unless one was to leave 

Defence wise, I would love to see a player like Kalas or Ake on a loan to give some cover in the squad and push for starting positions.

Kalas might be going to FC Koln on loan but Ake wants to go to an English club on loan and I haven't seen any rumours surrounding him. He can play in his preferred position of CB, as a holding midfielder and as a left back. Looks like a promising young talent and cover wise could be perfect for us, maybe even start if we don't get a certain holding midfielder (you know who).

Attacking wise I would love to see Suso,

maybe too good for us but after the success of Wisdoms loan and Liverpool's young players bearing fruit at the Kop (plus the Will Hughes Liverpool saga), I think he could do with strengthening up in the Champ (can already take on a man) and to get used to English football and add to his game experience. Would be a starter in my opinion, can play anywhere in attack with great feet, vision and stamina.

Having watched Rohan Ince play for Brighton against us in the play off semis, although we dominated them, he seemed like a good player.

Would perhaps be an alternative to Thorne if we couldn't sign him?? Not sure about his technical ability but in terms of power and defending, he seemed quality. Plus he's only young.

Archived