18 years today.............

uttoxram75

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Comparing that season with this one, statistically ths season's team outperformed that one in virtually all catergories apart from the length of an unbeaten run.

Who out of that 1996 team would you put in this side? 

Stimac for Keogh?

Sturridge for Ward or Bamford?

Van der Laan for Hendrick?

Comparing that season with this one, statistically ths season's team outperformed that one in virtually all catergories apart from the length of an unbeaten run.

Stimac for Keogh?

That's easy.

With Stimac we would've won whole league.

That's easy.

With Stimac we would've won whole league.

Let's be realistic, as good as Stimac was, he wasn't Lionel Messi who bags 50+ goals a season.

Stimac is probably the equivalent of Dejan Lovren.

Would we win the Championship with him instead of Buxton or Keogh... Quite simply no, we wouldn't be an extra 15 points better off.

There aren't that many players outside arguably the world's top 20 that could make such a difference.

Stimac for Keogh?

Stimac or Keogh... Behave!!!

Is that Matt Carbon to the right? Whatever happened to him?

I think I have to hold my hands up on this one....at the final whistle we ran from the c stand on to the pitch....my plan was to knee slide on the centre spot....on my way over I bumped into Matt Carbon and ruffled his dreadlocks and I think maybe even kissed him.....so yep, I think I ended his career....

Whilst Bris is correct about Stimac in one way, he is not taking into account his "presence" - Igor lifted players around him with his arrogance and confidence causing the team as a whole to perform a few percentage points better. Its impossible to measure, there's no stats for it, but you could sense and feel it that season.

Let's be realistic, as good as Stimac was, he wasn't Lionel Messi who bags 50+ goals a season.

Stimac is probably the equivalent of Dejan Lovren.

Would we win the Championship with him instead of Buxton or Keogh... Quite simply no, we wouldn't be an extra 15 points better off.

There aren't that many players outside arguably the world's top 20 that could make such a difference.

IMO one man can change a LOT. Signing Taribo West kept us up, and he wasn't half a player Stimac was.

Comparing Stimac to Lovren is just poor wumming.

Remember the day well.. Travelled up with 3 Palace supporters... Saddo's.

Sat in the Ossie Upper as was the only place I could get in. First and only time I ever sat up there.. Good view actually.

Great journey home... I hate Palace, nothing club..

Stimac was a damn sight better defender than Keogh and as a captain they were worlds apart. Stimac was a better defender than some of the Man United defenders, maybe not Vidic or Ferdinand in his better years, but better than the rest of them. He'd probably be in Southampton's first team alongside Lovren. Yeah, in todays money he was worth £20m in his first 3 years at Derby. Since defence is probably our weakest area, he would've saved us quite a few points this season, I expect.

Why? Lovren has been linked with a 20m move to Man United? Stimac was never THAT good...

I'm perfectly fine if you think Stimac and Lovren have similar ability. (Or Lovren is even better if I understood latter post right). Usually I'm agreeing you with your views of players or football in general.

But come on, it's ridiculous to use transfer rumours as a measure between players. Or is Hughes better than rest of those players who hasn't been linked with Barcelona? Not even transfer mean a **** about ability, Fellaini is perfect example of it.

IMO Stimac were lots of better than Lovren, nevermind talking about Keogh. (who was dropping Coventry, had us midtable before we started using highly defensive anchorman etc..)

I'm perfectly fine if you think Stimac and Lovren have similar ability. (Or Lovren is even better if I understood latter post right). Usually I'm agreeing you with your views of players or football in general.

But come on, it's ridiculous to use transfer rumours as a measure between players. Or is Hughes better than rest of those players who hasn't been linked with Barcelona? Not even transfer mean a **** about ability, Fellaini is perfect example of it.

IMO Stimac were lots of better than Lovren, nevermind talking about Keogh. (who was dropping Coventry, had us midtable before we started using highly defensive anchorman etc..)

For starters, I wholeheartedly agree that Stimac is miles better than Keogh - there is no comparison to be had, Stimac was the best Derby defender I've seen in my lifetime.

But then again, during my lifetime, Derby have never really had that good of a team.

Our best team since the reformation of the Premier League is probably the equivalent of Southampton this season - though in fact I'd say the Saints have better players with far more potential as our peak side around 97/98 were then on the decline - the likes of Eranio, Baiano, Stimac and Wanchope gradually got worse around 99 and onwards whereas Lallana, Rodriguez, Shaw, Lovren, Wanyama and Schneiderlin will get better.

We all love Stimac on here, but lets not go over the top. If he was really that good he would have played for a top club, not Derby County.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he even played a single European match other than perhaps a pointless game or two for Hadjuk.

Dejan Lovren is the better player, and will have the more successful career.

For starters, I wholeheartedly agree that Stimac is miles better than Keogh - there is no comparison to be had, Stimac was the best Derby defender I've seen in my lifetime.

But then again, during my lifetime, Derby have never really had that good of a team.

Our best team since the reformation of the Premier League is probably the equivalent of Southampton this season - though in fact I'd say the Saints have better players with far more potential as our peak side around 97/98 were then on the decline - the likes of Eranio, Baiano, Stimac and Wanchope gradually got worse around 99 and onwards whereas Lallana, Rodriguez, Shaw, Lovren, Wanyama and Schneiderlin will get better.

We all love Stimac on here, but lets not go over the top. If he was really that good he would have played for a top club, not Derby County.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he even played a single European match other than perhaps a pointless game or two for Hadjuk.

Dejan Lovren is the better player, and will have the more successful career.

Not sure did he play lot in their success in '80s. Maybe he was too young then. But they did go far in Champions league before he moved to Derby. I remember that season as he become my favourite as he took care of defending all by himself but in the end they lost second leg to Ajax (who won it that year with Litmanen, De Boers, van der Sar, Rijkaard & co)

Such stories won't happen anymore, good players leave for bigger clubs so early. We will see can Lovren lead Croatia's team to World cup success as Stimac did.

Archived