Forsyth 'Goal'

Philmycock

Given that the square on the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares on the other two sides of a right angled triangle, I think that we can safely say that all of the above shows that goal-line technology is a bad idea.

Look at all the fun we're having discussing a relatively meaningless 'goal'. You don't get this sort of thing in the Premier League anymore.    

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Similarly, if you wanted to build a fence all the way around the earth at the equator, and the fence was 1 metre high, it's easy to calculate how much longer the rail at the top would be compared to the distance at the ground. The answer, to many, is surprising.

Am I the only one that's still eagerly awaiting the answer?

Am I the only one that's still eagerly awaiting the answer?

Sorry.

Let the radius of the Earth be r metres.

Circumference of the Earth is = 2πr metres

There are two circles here, one of which is the circumference of the Earth, one of which is the circumference of the Earth + 1 metre (the top of the fence).

The circumference of the top of the fence is therefore 2π(r+1) metres

The difference between the lengths is therefore 2π((r+1)-r) = 2π metres

So around 6.285 metres.

The most amazing thing is the difference would be the same if you built a fence on Jupiter, compared to the circumference of Jupiter. Or if you built a fence around a hydrogen atom.

Sorry.

Let the radius of the Earth be r metres.

Circumference of the Earth is = 2πr metres

There are two circles here, one of which is the circumference of the Earth, one of which is the circumference of the Earth + 1 metre (the top of the fence).

So around 6.285 metres.

The most amazing thing is the difference would be the same if you built a fence on Jupiter, compared to the circumference of Jupiter. Or if you built a fence around a hydrogen atom.

That took a while to get my head around, but I guess you're only really adding a small wedge of fence into what would normally be a straight fence. Interesting.

DCFCFans... Not just about Derby County, sometimes it's about important mathematical ******.

did you know the circumference of a standard pint glass at the rim is more than its height

Define 'standard pint glass'

It is for a pint pot, it is (usually) for a nonic, it is for a conical, it isn't necessarily for a stein, a pilsner or wheat beer glass, it never is for a pint yard.

All can be 'standard' pint glasses. 

[snip]

So around 6.285 metres.

And I am duly surprised!  Thanks Eddie!

Define 'standard pint glass'

It is for a pint pot, it is (usually) for a nonic, it is for a conical, it isn't necessarily for a stein, a pilsner or wheat beer glass, it never is for a pint yard.

All can be 'standard' pint glasses.

Okay - the bog standard one with the bulbous bit near the top. The generic pint pot I grew up with in cheap pubs back home.

I actually win a few free drinks with that one at UNi because people didn't believe me , thank you Mr Gordon.

Okay - the bog standard one with the bulbous bit near the top. The generic pint pot I grew up with in cheap pubs back home.

I actually win a few free drinks with that one at UNi because people didn't believe me , thank you Mr Gordon.

Nonic.

Archived