Sunderland ONLY fined for fielding ineligible player

CumbrianRam

Sunderland have been fined by the Premier League after they fielded an ineligible player in four league matches earlier in the season.

Striker Ji Dong-Won, 22, played against Fulham, Southampton, Crystal Palace and Manchester United before Sunderland informed the Premier League they had made an administrative error.

It is understood they were made aware of the error in December and Sunderland settled the fine in early 2014.

The club will not be deducted points.

Sunderland were also fined by the Football League because the player appeared in the Capital One Cup victory over MK Dons in August.

Club secretary Liz Coley has left the club but sources at Sunderland insist it was not as a result of the error.

Sunderland were fined because they failed to gain international clearance for the South Korea international after he returned to the club from a loan spell at German club Augsburg last season.

The Premier League club did not realise they needed to seek international clearance for a second time when he returned to England. He should not have been involved in any matches before the club received written confirmation from the German Football Association.

The Premier League has refused to comment.

Ji joined the Black Cats for an undisclosed fee from South Korean side Chunnam Dragons in June 2011.

He is now back on loan with Augsburg until the end of the season but has agreed a four-year deal to join fellow Bundesliga side Borussia Dortmund on a free transfer in July.

Only in the PL do teams not get deducted points for this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26878545

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems a silly idea to insist he once again gets international clearance - whatever that means.

He only went out on loan.

The woman who cocked up has lost her job, people mess up at work everyday, she's been punished for that. Do the club and it's fans really deserve relegation because of it?

For me it just proves that women should stay away from football.....

I think it would be a bit tragic if they were deducted points and essentially relegated because of this. The relegation scrap is turning into a really interesting contest this year, and it would be crap to have one of the places decided on an admin error. They may still get relegated, but let that be decided on the field.

I think it's bad when anyone gets relegated because of a points deduction. If it takes a top of the league team, and turns them into a mid table team, then fair enough. Or a mid-table team into a team that might be involved in the relegation scrap, then that's okay. But normally these things, administration in particular, normally effect clubs when they're already having massive problems on and off the pitch. If they're already bottom of the league, taking another 10 points off them seems to be kicking a team when they're down. If they're already bottom of the league, it's not like they've benefited from whatever infringement they've made.

Mind you, a bet if Sunderland stay safe, whoever takes they're place in the bottom 3 will have something to say about it a la Sheffield United. But if the only way you can stay up is by arguing a technicality, then clearly you're not good enough at the football part of football, and shouldn't be in the prem anyway.

I think it would be a bit tragic if they were deducted points and essentially relegated because of this. The relegation scrap is turning into a really interesting contest this year, and it would be crap to have one of the places decided on an admin error. They may still get relegated, but let that be decided on the field.

I think it's bad when anyone gets relegated because of a points deduction. If it takes a top of the league team, and turns them into a mid table team, then fair enough. Or a mid-table team into a team that might be involved in the relegation scrap, then that's okay. But normally these things, administration in particular, normally effect clubs when they're already having massive problems on and off the pitch. If they're already bottom of the league, taking another 10 points off them seems to be kicking a team when they're down. If they're already bottom of the league, it's not like they've benefited from whatever infringement they've made.

Mind you, a bet if Sunderland stay safe, whoever takes they're place in the bottom 3 will have something to say about it a la Sheffield United. But if the only way you can stay up is by arguing a technicality, then clearly you're not good enough at the football part of football, and shouldn't be in the prem anyway.

last paragraph agreed entirely.

Had a discussion on another thread about goal line technology. Someone posted a match between Bolton v Everton from about a few years ago saying that match got Bolton relegated on goal difference over Evertin because they had a goal that was never awarded. I argued the point that if they couldn't stay up playing every other team over the course if the season they deserved to go down as not being good enough. What goes round comes round if you want a crude analogy.

The woman who cocked up has lost her job, people mess up at work everyday, she's been punished for that. Do the club and it's fans really deserve relegation because of it?

They should be able to explain the off side rule, and keep a tidy office, then, and only then should they be able to work in football.

Milk, no sugar, tar luv .

Alfreton Town must be feeling a little bit aggrieved at this ruling...

And didn't Mickleover Sports end up relegated after fielding an ineligible player. Like I said, a relegation shouldn't come down to a technicality. It's very sad when it does. Let the football do the talking.

Still didn't actually cock up (supposedly), apparently the club didn't realise they need clearance from Germany after having a player on loan there.. Wish I guess is understandable, but you would of thought someone would of realised before 4 games worth!

Then again, how often do English clubs loan players abroad so think it would of been pretty harsh for them to actually be deducted points.. But not overly surprised if they were, only themselves to blame, got lucky I guess! 

Archived