Dodged a bullet... Layman games?

drgoodspeak

Just been given Exec tickets to Burnley vs Leicester tomorrow. It's free, so you obviously have to go, but it occurred to me that if we were any closer than 13 points I might have had to support Leicester.

I've never had much interest in going to watch games not involving Derby. I find it pretty boring to have no stake in a live match. Worst example for me was probably Barnsley vs Leeds about 9 years ago (don't ask).

It's different with games on TV of course, but the general hassle involved in going to matches doesn't seem worth it if it's not your team.

Anyone have any notable experiences of this, good or bad?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I once went to a Notts County game while they were in Division 2/League 1 in new money - found it dull as dishwater. Didn't help neither were exciting teams, but I just can't get excited about games in which I have no connection to.

Bit like England games really, I don't feel a connection to the national team, not for a lack of patriotism, but I just don't like the players in the main. I wouldn't pay to watch them at Wembley.. 

I once went to a Notts County game while they were in Division 2/League 1 in new money - found it dull as dishwater. Didn't help neither were exciting teams, but I just can't get excited about games in which I have no connection to.

Bit like England games really, I don't feel a connection to the national team, not for a lack of patriotism, but I just don't like the players in the main. I wouldn't pay to watch them at Wembley.. 

Agreed. I'll watch them on TV, but I've never fancied going to a game. Alright, I did try and get tickets to Euro 96 QF.... but so did the rest of the country.

A mate of mine is a Spurs fan,who is nuts for England and will happily tell you that he'd support England before Spurs any day of the week. I can't get my head round that really. Ex-Navy....

Years ago I had a good friend who was a manure fan and for 1 season we took it in turns: Derby 1 match, next match United.

It cost a fortune as for quite a while neither of them had a home game when it was their turn.

Saw Utd v. Oldham in the FA Cup semi-final at Maine Road, Utd v Palace in the final at Wembley but the highlights were standing with my mate in the away end at the BBG when we beat them and also having my mate standing with me in the away end at Old Trafford when we beat them again.

I have been to a few games as a neutral, but I always find a reason to support one team more than the other.

I guess it depends on a number of things -

Bury vs Stockport, supporting Stockport because they had Kevin Francis in their side.

St Pauli vs SC Freiburg - St Pauli for their ethos and image

Peterborough vs Luton - Went with a Peterborough lass, so supported with her (cracking game 5-4)

The hardest for me was Ajax vs Heracles Almelo.  I wanted Heracles to win, but they really hard to support as they just showed up and rolled over.  One of the worst competitive matches I have ever seen.

Back in the mid-1990s, I went to Spurs v Newcastle on an exec jolly - one of our (then) printers was a Spurs fan, and I took a mate who was a Geordie. Before the match, the printer, and his mates, were all going on about "that French caaahnt" Ginola, and "that faahkin' QPR reject" Ferdinand. Ginola ripped Spurs apart that night, and laid on two beautiful crosses for Sir Les to score, and Newcastle ran out 2-1 winners.

The following season, both Ginola and Ferdinand were bought by Spurs, but by that time we'd changed printers, so I never found out how they came to terms with the new recruit. Open arms, I suppose.

Anyway, I hope you will be cheering for City, Dr Goodspeak.

Used to get regular Ipswich exec tickets around the time Kieron Dyer and Titus Bramble were coming through.

Necked the champagne and watched the SSN for the Derby score. Waste of time really.

Anyway, I hope you will be cheering for City, Dr Goodspeak.

That's the conundrum though. If we were closer to Burnley in points, of course I'd want Leicester to win. I think our chance of second place has now gone, so I can't see any result here affecting us.

I might put some money on it, but I can't see me having any backing for one team or the other. Leicester just don't bother me, so the local rival thing is absent.

That's the conundrum though. If we were closer to Burnley in points, of course I'd want Leicester to win. I think our chance of second place has now gone, so I can't see any result here affecting us.

I might put some money on it, but I can't see me having any backing for one team or the other. Leicester just don't bother me, so the local rival thing is absent.

I was going to suggest that buddy. Stick $10 or soemthing (nothing drastic) on one team to win or perhaps a scorer at any time like Vardy, Nugent or Vokes and then at least you'd be willing one team on.

I love watching games, and neutral matches too. But that's on the telly, going to a stadium might be slightly different - especiialy if it's cold, wet, windy and two teams that are abit naff.

I think Fulham must attract the greatest number of neutral fans. I don't know how many clubs have sections marked especially for neutrals but theirs is usually full. I can remember not long ago leaving a Derby game at Fulham when some of our more excitable fans started shouting and waving their fists at these spectators at the end of the game. The neutrals below just looked up at them with complete indifference. It made me laugh.

I know what you mean, Doc. If you have no direct involvement with either team, it can be a bit "meh!", so just enjoy the game. Having a bet might help, of course - Mahrez to score first is a good one.

Mind you, last weekend I was completely conflicted about Rams v Florist. I do a football predictions thing at the start of each season, and I had Florist to come third (after Watford and Ipswich) - and there's money riding on it. Also, if Derby (and QPR) lost, it would bring closer the time when City were promoted. But I was rooting for Derby, and p1ssed myself laughing at the result.

Anyway, enjoy yourself, and I hope the football is good - and that City win. And I am sure you will do better than Florist against Charlton.

Archived