George Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

If I was George the Derby move would make absolute sense. A stable managerial environment. An entirely British squad of similar age so he can relate to people and make friends. Similar wage offers and potential future wages. A guaranteed 1st team place. A club pushing to be in the top flight, that with himself included would be unlucky not to be in the PL next season let alone the one after that. 

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the main reasons (prior to his little outburst) that we wouldn't want to sell is because of the sheer number of players we already need to bring in this summer.

Before his injury, he was just about breaking into our 1st team - if we accepted your £2million, which Premiership club is going to sell us their 21 year old of similar ability for that price? Answer = Not one would.

Your second paragraph is rubbish I'm afraid!

"But one thing I will rule out is that I won't be going anywhere to be a squad player". Is hardly saying that he would be happy to stay with us if he was given a chance, is it? On that note, if you made a successful bid, how would you feel if he demands as part of his contract that if fit he HAS to be picked? It's fine when he's playing well, but what about when the inevitable slump in form comes along?[/size]

Having read the clubs statement, I really don't think we have any intentions of selling - IMO it was not a bit of propaganda designed to get your chairman to offer an extra £1m or so. But like anything, Thorne will have his price and if silly money is offered then of course Peace won't turn it down. So the question is how much is Thorne worth to Derby?

My word some West Brom fans are up themselves about their position in the Premier League. You came within a game or two of being with us this season, despite your successes of the previous season, but your season is in no way that secure.

Even teams like Arsenal let players go for realistic valuations, Henri Lansbury and Kyle Bartley, both with similar experience to Thorne, left for around £1 mil, and a ~£1.5 mil-ish fee could be vital to West Brom's building effort. Hopefully with so many free spots in the squad West Brom can build to survive, but holding onto a player out of spite from some media spin wouldn't just be silly, it would be down right vindictive and the kind of move that lead to the existence of things like the Bosman move and the developing situation (from what I can tell) in Belgium to do with transfer fees in general.

Undisclosed

You have a point there despite everyone bickering about what we bid and what it means we dont actually know the true value we bid bar a few twitter posts.

But from what I can tell, it might be worth have a few backup CDM's to try and bring in if we cant get Thorne. Get Mo on the case!!!

Even teams like Arsenal let players go for realistic valuations, Henri Lansbury and Kyle Bartley, both with similar experience to Thorne, left for around £1 mil, and a ~£1.5 mil-ish fee could be vital to West Brom's building effort. 

Exactly.

From a golfing mate of mine, George Thorne (and his family) have serious concerns about the whole management, back office, how they relate to the WBA playing staff and do business (his latest contract and loan options).

Then he gets to see first hand how a club can be run, and treats it's players, eg: Barker

That is not pandering to overpaid stars, it is simply good working conditions, with prospects, and in a much nicer place with better fans, (although some of the bickering on here tonight belongs on the Nottingham Post)

We are supposed to have £3-£4m from wembley.

If we can't afford him then say so.

If we can afford £3m then bid it.

If we can only afford £2m then bid it.

Be honest with the player, the fans and west brom.

Give it our best shot.

If it fails then we must look elsewhere.

But all this bull about we are going to have a real go at signing him and then bid less than £1m is just pathetic.

And there are no clever moves that will tempt west brom to lower their asking price.

Either we can afford him or we can't.

Are you on a windup?

In no walks of life do successful businessman ever bid the most they can do as a first offer.

Have you ever bought a house or a car? Didn't you at least negotiate abit?

Are you on a windup?

In no walks of life do successful businessman ever bid the most they can do as a first offer.

Nah mate, I once saw a house on the market. It was falling down, made of asbestos, only on about a third of the land of the other houses on the street and the median value at sale for the street was $210,000. But I had $500,000 budgeted for, and I wanted a house, so I just chucked $500,000 at them. After some tough negotiating we settled on $675,000. Not sure I can afford the payments, but I had to be all serious like about my interest.

Some of the people on here seem to have a similar vein of negotiating to Leeds circa Seth Johnson.

I can imagine it now, WBA saying "Come on guys, if we hold on we could get a couple of million here".

Derby (under the advice of some in here) "We aren't going to pay a penny more than £4m"

WBA "£4.5m"

Derby "Done"

My word some West Brom fans are up themselves about their position in the Premier League. You came within a game or two of being with us this season, despite your successes of the previous season, but your season is in no way that secure.

Even teams like Arsenal let players go for realistic valuations, Henri Lansbury and Kyle Bartley, both with similar experience to Thorne, left for around £1 mil, and a ~£1.5 mil-ish fee could be vital to West Brom's building effort. Hopefully with so many free spots in the squad West Brom can build to survive, but holding onto a player out of spite from some media spin wouldn't just be silly, it would be down right vindictive and the kind of move that lead to the existence of things like the Bosman move and the developing situation (from what I can tell) in Belgium to do with transfer fees in general.

I am no more 'up myself' than you are deluded if you think we will sell Thorne for £1.5m.

Yes clubs do sell their youngsters for that money - but only when they have worked out that the player is never going to be good enough for their first team - a bit like we did when we sold Wood to Leicester. 

Our turnover will be around £80m this season, so I really don't think it's likely that £1.5m will either make or break our season.

I am no more 'up myself' than you are deluded if you think we will sell Thorne for £1.5m.

Yes clubs do sell their youngsters for that money - but only when they have worked out that the player is never going to be good enough for their first team - a bit like we did when we sold Wood to Leicester.

Our turnover will be around £80m this season, so I really don't think it's likely that £1.5m will either make or break our season.

Understand what you're saying and like everyone else I haven't got a clue whether we'll meet what you want anyway.

From what I've read, WBA are not selling ANY players. I assume that might change when you get a manager.

I don't understand what you want to do with Thorne. Leave him to rot for 3 years and he'll eventually go for nothing? That's pathetic.

I think you're manager will have to come to a decision with him. Include him or drop him.

I think we'll keep testing the water. Someone on our end said that this will have no quick solution last week. We'll probe with bids and it would be incredibly pathetic to either let him rot or sell him to another club for a price we would pay (so basically just trying to have one last parting shot)

I really can't believe you'd be so spiteful over a young player.

I'm just not sure we can afford him. He's hard to price because he's played so little but impressed so much. I don't think anybody will pay £3m+ based on a few great games for us. I think he's worth it to us. But if I was another club looking in? Nah. Need to see more.

Are you on a windup?

You lot are in cloud cuckoo land.

This is n't negotiating.

Ever see those adverts which say 'no time wasters'?

Nah mate, I once saw a house on the market. It was falling down, made of asbestos, only on about a third of the land of the other houses on the street and the median value at sale for the street was $210,000. But I had $500,000 budgeted for, and I wanted a house, so I just chucked $500,000 at them. After some tough negotiating we settled on $675,000. Not sure I can afford the payments, but I had to be all serious like about my interest.

I see you're back posting ****** again.

I'll think i'll stick to my prediction that when this officially goes tits up and we give up, there will be numpties on here saying that he wasn't that good anyway.

We'll probably boo him if we play west brom.

Message to slaphead - this is the only cash deal we need to do this summer. Stop pratting about.

We are supposed to have £3-£4m from wembley.

If we can't afford him then say so.

If we can afford £3m then bid it.

If we can only afford £2m then bid it.

Be honest with the player, the fans and west brom.

Give it our best shot.

If it fails then we must look elsewhere.

But all this bull about we are going to have a real go at signing him and then bid less than £1m is just pathetic.

And there are no clever moves that will tempt west brom to lower their asking price.

Either we can afford him or we can't.

Are you Peter Risdale? Sounds like the Seth Johnson negotiation :lol:

I'll think i'll stick to my prediction that when this officially goes tits up and we give up, there will be numpties on here saying that he wasn't that good anyway.

We'll probably boo him if we play west brom.

Message to slaphead - this is the only cash deal we need to do this summer. Stop pratting about.

Jeeze buddy and you call me deluded?

When Real Madrid bought Ronaldo and Bale do you think they offered 100m straight away?

Are you Peter Risdale? Sounds like the Seth Johnson negotiation :lol:

Really?

I remember when schteve was at Middlesboro and they wanted a player from arsenal.

They said ' we are offering £2m, we won't be increasing our offer. We feel thats what he is worth. If arsenal reject it then thats ok, we are not going to fall out with them. But we hope they will accept."

They did the deal.

Our bid has absolutely no credibility whatsoever.

Its like me trying to get you to sell me a pint for 50p.

Jeeze buddy and you call me deluded?

When Real Madrid bought Ronaldo and Bale do you think they offered 100m straight away?

They had to pay the asking price.

Geddit?

Or are you suggesting that spurs actually wanted £200m and by clever negotiation madrid got the price down to £80m.

Archived