I think it's not just me that needs to get over it!!!

Mostyn6

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/sport/sheffield-united/alan-biggs-pain-of-losing-derby-job-still-hurts-clough-1-6389781

"Nigel Clough is trusting Sheffield United to let his long-term strategy bear fruit – unlike former club Derby County.

He insists the pain of his axing still lingers. And even another Premier League conquest in the FA Cup, with Fulham visiting in the fourth round on Sunday, wouldn’t remove it.

Indeed, the Blades boss is adamant that this old wound may never heal. It was still red raw when Clough entered Bramall Lane in October just 25 days after the sudden ending of a four-year reign with the club his father led to title-winning glory.

Three months on, this column asks: Are you over the anguish? The light goes out of his normally sunny face and just one word passes his lips: “No.”

So it’s not easing at all? “It lessens, there’s the old time healing and all that, but part of it will always be there.”

Derby’s climb to fourth in the Championship under Steve McClaren, on the foundations Nigel laid, would seem to have piled on the agony rather than any sense of pride reducing it. Clough – unusually in this game – is honest enough with his feelings to recall: “One of the things they [Derby]said when we left was that they were examining the whole football process, recruitment and everything else.

“Well, we must have brought some pretty bad players in... to get these results!

“It would be nice one time to inherit a fit, organised, talented squad of players of good character... which some people have been fortunate enough to inherit.”

You get the picture. And why Clough was careful to ensure he wasn’t jumping from the proverbial frying pan into the fire by joining the Blades – despite apparent evidence to the contrary.

He was United’s seventh manager in six years but feels lessons have been learned.

“I hope so. You might be naive but you hope you can change that pattern.

“People might realise that chopping and changing isn’t the best way to success. I only heard positive things about the club and that there were good people here.

“In football everybody wants to win now but when you’re developing players from the academy – as we did at Derby – you don’t get ‘now.’ You get the benefit a few years down the road if you can look long term.”

But one current experience above any other has helped put the smile back on Nigel’s face. “You saw the emotion when we won at Aston Villa in the third round... feelings creep out a bit in things like that,” he adds, again in reference to Derby.

“When you lose your job you wonder if you’re going to have the chance of days like that again – and you appreciate them much, much more.”

Albeit still not enough to forget. “It’s two separate things,” he says.

“They are compartmentalised. That’s in a box and it doesn’t come out very often. It’s an effort sometimes but we can’t afford to let any of our energy be diverted. It’s all completely here.

“This club has been at a low point. We have to try to reverse that. Things can change because football goes in cycles.

“For instance, it would have been unthinkable that Manchester United could face a season outside the top four.

“The clubs in this city have also been unbelievably well supported despite everything and I would call them proper football clubs. You’re going to have a few tough times but the feeling is that hopefully you stick with it and have success.”

-------------------------------------------------------

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His bitterness is toward Sam Rush, not DCFC i believe. He obviously feels personally let down by the way it happened. 

Then again, daveo's right. He never would have volunteered the information, he was asked and replied. Simple as that really, bit of a non story tbh.

Keep up the good work Nige. I'm sure Derby County Football Club will be begging you to come back down the line,

maybe when certain members of the board jump ship or are attracted to other sports, business etc or we find ourselves 

skint again or when the Blades pass us by in the Championship in a few years time.

Enjoy the FA Cup Nigel Clough, and if you bump into Chelsea at home or on your travels, I'm sure you won't be greasing up to them, like our new lot did recently, we had them that worried, that Jose would like us back in the Premiership so he can be greased up a little bit more.

Some of us are not getting carried away just yet by all the hype.

He managed to build a good team, but he wasn't able to coach them to a sufficiently acceptable level.

McClaren has instilled a far more positive outset and has got more out of the majority of the players.

No hard feelings from me, and best of luck for the future!

I admire his open-ness. I struggle to comprehend his mindset. Is he deluded, naive? he genuinely believe he was doing a brilliant job? and it seems he cannot understand the reasons why he was sacked.

So maybe you can enlighten me on the reasons why he was....

He never said he was doing a 'brilliant job'. He has however alluded to what he believes in that he didn't deserve to be shown the door.

I still firmly believe that is the case irrespective of how his successor does.

Keep up the good work Nige. I'm sure Derby County Football Club will be begging you to come back down the line,

maybe when certain members of the board jump ship or are attracted to other sports, business etc or we find ourselves 

skint again or when the Blades pass us by in the Championship in a few years time.

Enjoy the FA Cup Nigel Clough, and if you bump into Chelsea at home or on your travels, I'm sure you won't be greasing up to them, like our new lot did recently, we had them that worried, that Jose would like us back in the Premiership so he can be greased up a little bit more.

Some of us are not getting carried away just yet by all the hype.

Are you f*****ng serious? Or trying to wind me up? If you're criticising McClaren for Derby losing in the FA Cup to one of the best teams in World Club Football, whilst at the same time paying compliments to the manager who couldn't beat a string of lower league sides, then you're as mental as some of your happy-clapping songs! :lol:  

Good article, that. Makes me love him even more TBH!

Only ever had the interests of the club at heart and it quite clearly (and rightfully) pained at how it ended. Did such a good job when you take a step back. Been said 1,000 times but we wouldn't be where we are now without him.

Hope Blades stuff Fulham at the weekend.

Archived