Are people getting shorter?

petersimple

I was looking at the following list entitled the shortest people born in Derby when I noticed something a bit strange.

http://www.imdb.com/search/name?birth_place=Derby,%20England,%20UK&sort=height

I knew some of the parents of those on the list and it struck me that these people were shorter than their parents. When I was a young man nearly everyone was taller than than their parents. That was always put down to a better diet. After thinking a bit about my male relatives who were born in the 1980s  I realised that most of them were shorter than their fathers and the these fathers were not exceptionally tall people. Is it a fact that people are getting shorter? If this is the case, does it mean that our diets are getting worse? Perhaps it could be the result of school milk being stopped.

Are you shorter than your father?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I undertook a statistical analysis of my growth over the first half of my life, and then used this data to predict my ultimate height.

The resultant probability density predicted that i would now be 7 foot 6.

Unfortunately my growth performance has fallen away somewhat and i seem stuck somewhere around the 6 foot mark.

This is indeed not dissimilar to the height that my father achieved, although I still don't feel as tall as him.

Nevertheless having confidence in my analysis I am expecting a sudden spurt of growth to take me much closer to my predicted height.

However there is still a slim chance that I might actually reduce in height.

I have a 10% chance of ending up at 5 foot 2.

That list of modern films stars and their heights is interesting. It seems that being short is no handicap to film success. In the past most of the big names were big people. Look at these heights of these stars :

Jimmy Stewart height: 6ft 3in
John Wayne 6ft 4in
Gregory Peck 6ft 3in
Cary Grant 6ft 1in
Gary Cooper 6ft 3in

I am now going to ask another question. Could you beat your father in a fight?

In the past becoming stronger than your father was something that happened in your late teens, but I know several men in their fifties and even sixties who are stronger and bigger than their children who are in their 20s. I get the impression that some of these young men feel intimidated by their stronger and bigger dads even though in a civilised society a dad and a son would never have a fight. However, about 10,000 years ago beating up or killing your father and taking over the family was probably a normal rite of passage.

My dad was 5ft 6 and my mum is 5ft 4, well, was, she might be a bit shorter now. My sister is 5ft.

I'm 6ft 1. Not quite sure how it happened except I was physically active from the age of about 8 up until I was 18 and had stopped growing. I was taller than both my mum and dad by age 12.

Something to do with peanut butter, bananas and sports.

My dad was 5ft 6 and my mum is 5ft 4, well, was, she might be a bit shorter now. My sister is 5ft.

I'm 6ft 1. Not quite sure how it happened except I was physically active from the age of about 8 up until I was 18 and had stopped growing. I was taller than both my mum and dad by age 12.

Something to do with peanut butter, bananas and sports.

How tall is the milkman?

Archived