Derby County v Wigan Athletic

sage

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First half we were very poor, panicked in possession and really struggled to get the ball on the deck.

We were second to most things for most of the game and failed to cope with the pressure they put us under. Wigan came with a plan and it worked.

It happens, we still created enough to get a point, Dawkins and Martin a little guilty of being wasteful in front of goal. Thought Hughes was good in the last half an hour, really looked to get on the ball and drive us forward.

Shame the others all won as well, still a long way to go but let's hope we can figure out how to get back on another run!

All is not lost.

They came to spoil. Put a lot of energy and effort into have 3 men round the ball every time we received it, kicking and pulling. We didn't match the intensity and didn't have the sense to switch the play quicker as logic dictates there will be a man over.

Most disappointing think of the whole game is we now face 2 more losses and then a further 2 tough games.

Well that was worth the 230 mile round trip in the pissing rain! The team allowed themselves to be bullied and it was disappointing but we would have taken 4th place a few months ago. As long as the recent tailing off of performances stops soon I'm still happy.

I'll raise your 230 mile round trip to 400 mile round trip.

Steve in his radio Derby post match interview got it spot on I thought. The squad have done incredibly well getting where they are. Couldn't fault the effort & commitment since he has been here but lacked a little quality when needed yesterday. Wigan were a very effective but horrible side. We need to get some help in January.  The players can relax and enjoy the Chelsea game then we go again in earnest against Leicester. Trying to buy Dawkins. Trying to loan Bamford for the rest of the season. Keanes loan is extended to the end of January (Until Keogh is back I guess) We have got Whitbread till the end of the season. 

Basically I think he is saying we can't expect anymore from this squad and I agree. They are not machines they are humans. I left feeling very frustrated not angry or disappointed. We did enough at the end to get a point but there we are.

Up The Rams!

What we lacked yesterday wasn't quality when needed it was soeone to do something diferent and not keep trying to play out of our own crowded half.

From SM post march interview we were playing for a draw in the secod half "we said at half time if it had to be 0-0 then so be it"

We didn't show any real attacking intent until they scored.

What we lacked yesterday wasn't quality when needed it was soeone to do something diferent and not keep trying to play out of our own crowded half.

From SM post march interview we were playing for a draw in the secod half "we said at half time if it had to be 0-0 then so be it"

We didn't show any real attacking intent until they scored.

That takes a bit of quality.

They came to spoil. Put a lot of energy and effort into have 3 men round the ball every time we received it, kicking and pulling. We didn't match the intensity and didn't have the sense to switch the play quicker as logic dictates there will be a man over.

Most disappointing think of the whole game is we now face 2 more losses and then a further 2 tough games.

We can beat Leicester. There not that good. I expect our midfield trio to have Drinkwater & James. Might have more firepower in Bamford too.

We can beat Leicester. There not that good. I expect our midfield trio to have Drinkwater & James. Might have more firepower in Bamford too.

We haven't won at Leicester since Filbert Street. Don't bank on that changing.

Wigan came with a plan to stop us playing and it worked for the majority of the time.

When it didn't work they resorted to being cynical and dirty and the ref let them get away with it.

But we were the creators of our own downfall in the 1st half with far too many missed passes and a lack of urgency.

I lost count of the number of times we put the ball out of play when were trying to play it out wide or down the the line.

I also think they should have been down to 10 men after the Perch challenge on Ward, If Ward hadn't managed to get both feet off the ground, He would have been off to hospital!

We were also guilty of over playing when we got near their box or the byline, Why do players feel like they need to beat one more man or take another pass when the easy option would be to put the ball into the box?

But after all of that, We still had the chances to take at least a point and there are not that many teams like Wigan in this league.

Onwards and upwards.

What worried me somewhat yesterday is that we appeared to have no threat through the middle, i've felt for a while that we rely abit too heavily on crosses, and an intelligent defence will just sit there 2 CB's on martin and nullify our majour threat, as they have no need to come out and deal with or close down a shooter or player running from outside the box

Wigan came with a plan to stop us playing and it worked for the majority of the time.

When it didn't work they resorted to being cynical and dirty and the ref let them get away with it.

But we were the creators of our own downfall in the 1st half with far too many missed passes and a lack of urgency.

I lost count of the number of times we put the ball out of play when were trying to play it out wide or down the the line.

I also think they should have been down to 10 men after the Perch challenge on Ward, If Ward hadn't managed to get both feet off the ground, He would have been off to hospital!

We were also guilty of over playing when we got near their box or the byline, Why do players feel like they need to beat one more man or take another pass when the easy option would be to put the ball into the box?

But after all of that, We still had the chances to take at least a point and there are not that many teams like Wigan in this league.

Onwards and upwards.

Wigan came with a gameplan but it only worked because they rode their luck.

They scored a pretty lucky goal and Derby were unlucky not to score at least three goals near the end. Uwe Rossler showed great respect in admitting that if Wigan resorted to their usual passing football that Derby would have ran them ragged again. 

These things happen throughout the season, we have had our fair share of luck over the previous weeks. A couple of dubious penalty decisions and the Sammon goal against middlesborough with 10 men.

I was studying the time wasting by wigan.

The referee needs a rocket for allowing the following at the start of the second half:

0.49 wigan win a corner. It takes them 32 seconds to take the corner

1.27 wigan awarded a free kick. It takes them 47 seconds to take the free kick

3.29 another free kick to wigan . It takes 24 seconds to take it.

5.18 throw in to Derby. Wigan put the ball out claiming one of their players needs treatment. He is on the touch line and could easily step off the pitch for treatment. The throw is delayed whilst treatment is given and the referee then insisits the ball is returned to the wigan keeper. By the time the wigan keeper resumes play another 43 seconds are wasted.

6.34 throw in by perch. Takes 25 seconds to take

7.09 throw in to wigan. Perch goes down near the touch line - not fouled. It takes 56 seconds to take the throw in.

9.08 foul on ward by perch that should have been a straight red. Ref shows a yellow card and then stands in front of the ball preventing ward from taking the kick until he says so. It takes 60 seconds total delay to resume play.

So in the first 10 minutes of play, almost 5 minutes are basically time wasting stoppages.

In the first 10 minutes the ball was actually in play for just 3 mins 48 seconds.

On only 4 occasions did play last more than 30 seconds between stoppages.

I was studying the time wasting by wigan.

The referee needs a rocket for allowing the following at the start of the second half:

0.49 wigan win a corner. It takes them 32 seconds to take the corner

1.27 wigan awarded a free kick. It takes them 47 seconds to take the free kick

3.29 another free kick to wigan . It takes 24 seconds to take it.

5.18 throw in to Derby. Wigan put the ball out claiming one of their players needs treatment. He is on the touch line and could easily step off the pitch for treatment. The throw is delayed whilst treatment is given and the referee then insisits the ball is returned to the wigan keeper. By the time the wigan keeper resumes play another 43 seconds are wasted.

6.34 throw in by perch. Takes 25 seconds to take

7.09 throw in to wigan. Perch goes down near the touch line - not fouled. It takes 56 seconds to take the throw in.

9.08 foul on ward by perch that should have been a straight red. Ref shows a yellow card and then stands in front of the ball preventing ward from taking the kick until he says so. It takes 60 seconds total delay to resume play.

So in the first 10 minutes of play, almost 5 minutes are basically time wasting stoppages.

In the first 10 minutes the ball was actually in play for just 3 mins 48 seconds.

On only 4 occasions did play last more than 30 seconds between stoppages.

You need to go back to work - and stop wasting your time.

I would love to know how stoppage time works.

You can have a game where absloutely nothing happens and you seem to get the obligatory 3 or minutes stoppage.

Yesterday there were 4 substitutions, one goal, a stoppage when Johnny Russell got wiped out, a stoppage where Ward got taken out, a yellow card for time wasting and yet still there was only 5 minutes added on?

Archived