QPR £60 million fine for promotion?

CumbrianRam

QPR are facing a possible £60million fine from the Football League, according to a newspaper report.

The Mail on Sunday claims the west London club made a loss of £80million during the 2012-13 Barclays Premier League season, which ended in relegation to the Sky Bet Championship, after signing dozens of players on expensive contracts.

Christopher Samba, Park Ji-sung, Julio Cesar, Jermaine Jenas and Loic Remy - who apart from Samba all remain on QPR's payroll - are among the players who have reportedly earned salaries of over £100,000 per week in recent seasons.

The Football League's new Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules will see overspending clubs taxed for their losses, with Championship clubs paying a Â1 fine for every £1 they lose over £18million in the 2013-14 financial year.

QPR can expect to receive a sizeable fine in January 2015 should they be promoted to the top flight at the end of the current season. The club could, however, temporarily avoid a fine if they fail to win promotion.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/qpr-face-huge-fine--report/news/anzeigen_141142.html

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They worked the fine out wrong. If they make the same losses then a sliding scale is applied

The Fair Play Tax will be applied at the following thresholds:

(a) 1% of the excess between £1 and £100,000;

(b) 20% of the excess between £100,001 and £500,000;

© 40% of the excess between £500,001 and £1,000,000;

(d) 60% of the excess between £1,000,001 and £5,000,000;

(e) 80% of the excess between £5,000,001 and £10,000,000; and

(f) 100% of the excess over £10,000,000

Any proceeds will be distributed equally amongst clubs that have complied with the Financial Fair Play regulations for the season in question.

For £80m losses (minus the £8m discount for allowable losses plus owner investment) leaves 72m taxed

This gives

The Fair Play Tax will be applied at the following thresholds:

(a) 1% of the excess between £1 and £100,000; £1000

(b) 20% of the excess between £100,001 and £500,000; £80000

© 40% of the excess between £500,001 and £1,000,000; £400000

(d) 60% of the excess between £1,000,001 and £5,000,000; £2.4m

(e) 80% of the excess between £5,000,001 and £10,000,000; £4m

(f) 100% of the excess over £10,000,000 £62m

Giving a total of £68m to be shared between compliant clubs.

SR said in a fans forum there could be 10-12 clubs not complying leaving £68m shared among the rest.

Could be a decent amount to receive if we comply and they go up. Could be even more if there losses increase due to loss of prem revenue.

Harry didn't make the losses.

He wouldn't know how to to.

He can't hold a knife and fork.

He can't read an email.

His dog - on the other hand - might know something about them.

You know if Arry managed England do you think there's a chance England would have ended in administration and had to ground share with Northern Ireland?

The guy could milk a fish

I don't roe about that.

• 6 months later...

Will the FL have the balls and activate this fine, highly doubt it.

They can't now, it's up to the Premier League.

And as the Premier League have already told the Football League they won't help, then QPR will just get a slap on the wrist and a probably paltry $10,000 fine.

Don't understand this - QPR will inevitably come back down, and probably sooner rather than later. If I were the FL then I'd be telling QPR that they either pay up now, or there's no place for them in the FL if they get relegated.

Don't understand this - QPR will inevitably come back down, and probably sooner rather than later. If I were the FL then I'd be telling QPR that they either pay up now, or there's no place for them in the FL if they get relegated.

I bet they never have to pay up and there will be lasting consequences for them either.

I bet they never have to pay up and there will be lasting consequences for them either.

FFP will be exposed for the sham that it is. Look at PSG - fined £50m, so what do they do, go out and spend £50m on David Luiz - a real "Yeah, fook off EUFA" move if ever there were one.

They can't now, it's up to the Premier League.

And as the Premier League have already told the Football League they won't help, then QPR will just get a slap on the wrist and a probably paltry $10,000 fine.

I thought the fine will still be imposed because it is due to actions while playing under football league rules.

QPR have said they will fight sanctions in courts though.

And that will end promotion and relegation from the Premier League.

Job done.

I would guess this is a pretty clear indication they're getting ready for a big fine...

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/17583/9326363/tony-fernandes-has-reportedly-put-caterham-f1-team-up-for-sale-for-350million

Tony Fernandes has taken the first steps towards selling Caterham with a memorandum being circulated in the Middle East according to reports.

The Malaysian told Sky Sports in January that this would be a "pivotal year" for his involvement in Formula 1 and it appears his patience has finally run out with Bloomberg claiming a price of £350million has been set for the F1 team and car company.

The team made their debut at the 2010 Australian Grand Prix and now hold the record for most races without a point after Jules Bianchi finished ninth for Marussia in Monaco.

Those two points for the Banbury-based team look likely to consign Caterham to 11th in the Constructors' Championship for the second consecutive season which would see them missing out on a share of F1's prize money pot again.

"There comes a point where coming last all the time you don't really want to do that so this is a very pivotal year," Fernandes warned ahead of the new season.

Caterham entered F1 under the promise of a budget cap which never materialised and now find themselves without even a say in how the sport is run with Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes, McLaren, Williams and Lotus forming F1's Strategy Group.

Fernandes was at Wembley on Saturday to see his Queens Park Rangers team return to the Premier League and he feels F1 could learn from football.

"I think football has done a better job that Formula 1 of narrowing a gap," he told Sky Sports F1 in September 2013.

"There are still the haves and the have-nots, but in Formula 1 there is two or even three-tiers. F1 needs to look at itself harder - the gap between top and bottom in the Premier League is not as steep as in Formula 1 and you go to a football game never knowing who is going to win.

"I was promised a sport that was going to reduce in cost every year, but it has increased every year and I don't think it is sustainable in the long run."

To add to Fernandes' woes, QPR are also set to be fined £50million for breaking financial Fair Play Rules, substantially reducing any potential return on his investment Saturday's promotion will make.

Archived