Irony

eddie

Garland Greene (Steve Buscemi) in Con Air, when the convicts were dancing to 'Sweet Home Alabama', said "Define irony. Bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash."

Well, I can beat that.

We are having a major clear-out, and I have just burned a paperback copy of Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Garland Greene (Steve Buscemi) in Con Air, when the convicts were dancing to 'Sweet Home Alabama', said "Define irony. Bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash."

Well, I can beat that.

We are having a major clear-out, and I have just burned a paperback copy of Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.

'Those burn books will later burn people'

Can I make some suggestions?

Just to clarify...

We have 8 bookcases in our house which we need to reduce to 4 or so. Most books which are surplus to requirements are in reasonable condition, and these are being boxed up and will be deposited at various charity shops (kitty rescue centres etc). It's unfortunate - or perhaps fortunate - that particular paperback copy of Fahrenheit 451 is in pretty desperate condition. Fire seemed to me to be the perfect way to dispose of it.

Did you put it in your oven on maximum to reach the appropriate temperature?

No, unfortunately. I chucked it in with a load of personal papers (e.g. 20 year old tax records etc) which were burning away in a garden incinerator. Had to stop now - getting too windy.

No, unfortunately. I chucked it in with a load of personal papers (e.g. 20 year old tax records etc) which were burning away in a garden incinerator. Had to stop now - getting too windy.

Naughty boy, burning stuff in the garden before 7,30pm. My washing's out.

Naughty boy, burning stuff in the garden before 7,30pm. My washing's out.

In a couple of hours time your washing's likely to be out in the North Sea

Though the unwritten rule was 6.30?

There are no laws that specifically define when you can have a garden bonfire, but there are laws relating to nuisance, danger to traffic, pollution etc.

On the subject of irony I have to bring up Alanis Moressette. I hate that song with a passion and will do for ever more. The only thing ironic about it is that it's called Ironic and doesn't contain a single bit of irony but I doubt she's that clever to have done that so instead it's a song about annoying situations. Should be called "isn't it annoying" Rain on your wedding day - not ironic Free ride when you've paid - you're a dumb ass Ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife - not ironic and where the hell are you looking in order to find ten thousand spoons? A spoon factory? Why would you think you'd find a knife there? Plane crash when you're scared of flying - seems you were right to be scared, should have stuck to your instincts. Sorry. Breath. Count to 10. I'm ok, sorry just had to get that off my chest.

On the subject of irony I have to bring up Alanis Moressette. I hate that song with a passion and will do for ever more. The only thing ironic about it is that it's called Ironic and doesn't contain a single bit of irony but I doubt she's that clever to have done that so instead it's a song about annoying situations. Should be called "isn't it annoying" Rain on your wedding day - not ironic Free ride when you've paid - you're a dumb ass Ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife - not ironic and where the hell are you looking in order to find ten thousand spoons? A spoon factory? Why would you think you'd find a knife there? Plane crash when you're scared of flying - seems you were right to be scared, should have stuck to your instincts. Sorry. Breath. Count to 10. I'm ok, sorry just had to get that off my chest.

you need to see the Ed Byrne sketch about Alanis Morrisette

There are no laws that specifically define when you can have a garden bonfire, but there are laws relating to nuisance, danger to traffic, pollution etc.

Glad you said that I am in the middle of a protracted argument with my next door neighbours regards myself burning wood in my chimnea in my back garden in the evening.Despite the fact that it was 8 o'clock at night and no washing being out they still moaned like drains about it.

They also were keen to moan about myself having a bonfire at the same time of night last year.The joys of living next to 2 old crusties who have nothing better to do. Ironic thing is they have a chimnea too and her old man smokes 20 a day absolute hypocrisy. 

Archived