NC to SUFC

DcFc Dyycheee

I don't think he comes across as very bitter or angry at all. I don't think he comes across as ready to step back into football management though. I think he's gutted. Understandably so..

Not as gutted as Dave Mackay was I bet. :wacko:

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think he comes across as very bitter or angry at all. I don't think he comes across as ready to step back into football management though. I think he's gutted. Understandably so..

I watched his interview with Bladesplayer and all the way he talks about Derby as "us".

I agree that he's gutted, gutted that he's not still working for Derby County, but I can also sense that he'll be out to prove the owners and the doubters wrong.

I thought he was always pretty honest about where we were as a club and as a team and I think he honestly believed he could get them top 6 and that they were close. That's why he thought it was harsh, we'd got the tough start out of the way.

You might not understand why I'm defensive about it Mostyn and you may never agree with it but I honestly just don't think he's done anything to deserve having this piss taken out of him, I don't think him, his mates or even his brother have done anything at all to damage the club.

Save your stick giving for people who nearly dragged the club down. Nigel and his gang of amateurs did nothing but put it right.

Why all the bitterness, sarcastic comments and nastiness towards them still?

The worst you could accuse them of is holding us back a season and even that's at a push.

Even now the worst he says is that the relationship changed 9 months ago, no bad mouthing, no shpunting of millions and millions of pounds on players who should never have got near the Rams crest on their shirt.

All I'm asking is that you stop with the ongoing ripping apart of what he did and how he tried to do it.

You got what you wanted, he's gone, now I'm asking nicely because I want to stay on the forum and not be driven away by the fact I've STILL got to read how much of a circus it all was.

I don't want to argue anymore, especially over someone who doesn't work for Derby anymore.

I'll add a question at the end as well, if you'll do me the favour of answering it.

As a rough estimate, how much do you think the squad Nigel inherited was worth?

As a rough estimate how much do you think the squad Steve inherited is worth?

I watched his interview with Bladesplayer and all the way he talks about Derby as "us".

I agree that he's gutted, gutted that he's not still working for Derby County, but I can also sense that he'll be out to prove the owners and the doubters wrong.

I thought he was always pretty honest about where we were as a club and as a team and I think he honestly believed he could get them top 6 and that they were close. That's why he thought it was harsh, we'd got the tough start out of the way.

You might not understand why I'm defensive about it Mostyn and you may never agree with it but I honestly just don't think he's done anything to deserve having this piss taken out of him, I don't think him, his mates or even his brother have done anything at all to damage the club.

Save your stick giving for people who nearly dragged the club down. Nigel and his gang of amateurs did nothing but put it right.

The worst you could accuse them of is holding us back a season and even that's at a push.

Even now the worst he says is that the relationship changed 9 months ago, no bad mouthing, no shpunting of millions and millions of pounds on players who should never have got near the Rams crest on their shirt.

All I'm asking is that you stop with the ongoing ripping apart of what he did and how he tried to do it.

You got what you wanted, he's gone, now I'm asking nicely because I want to stay on the forum and not be driven away by the fact I've STILL got to read how much of a circus it all was.

I don't want to argue anymore, especially over someone who doesn't work for Derby anymore.

I'll add a question at the end as well, if you'll do me the favour of answering it.

I also think you need to add with the questions the wage bill of the team at the start and finish of his reign.

that's fair dos, I think you're allowing yourself to get swept up by it all. I'm not the only person here who didn't rate Nigel and his staff, but I'm the only one being singled out as some sort of monster for it. I didn't realise I was being nasty, but I do admit to taking the piss, if anyone's offended, I certainly don't intend that. As it happens, I'd still be a bit star-struck if I met Nigel again. I certainly did NOT get what I wanted. I can categorically say, without doubt, what I wanted was Nigel to build the club, and by that I mean review his coaching staff, and grow with the club and the players, I wanted to be able to sing to Forest fans that their Nigel was now our Nigel and made us better than them. I wanted that certainly more than I wanted McClaren.

As for your questions.. 

1, I think the team inherited was vastly devalued by the negative comments and feeling aimed towards it following relegation. It was worth way more than people thought and acted at the time. The wallowing gave a ready made excuse and perhaps stopped Nigel from being a bit more successful in that first year or so. But at the time, maybe Hulse £3m, Commons £3m, Albrechtsen £1m, Mears £1m, Green £2m, McEveley £500k, Varney £1m, Pearson £750k, Villa £2m, There were others of saleable value, but as they were all old, no team would want to invest.

2, I think McClaren must think he's landed on his feet. He's probably 3 or 4 shrewd signings away from a brilliant side, and the signings he needs are ones that are traditionally not the most expensive. The difference in overall value is that any buying side will see an investment in the likes of Hendrick and Hughes, although they may not be as influential yet as some players Clough inherited, they will be. Overall, I think (and it's not a dig) Clough struggled with the egos of seasoned pros, and can handle the kids well. A different manager might have seen some value in the players here in Jan 09.

that's fair dos, I think you're allowing yourself to get swept up by it all. I'm not the only person here who didn't rate Nigel and his staff, but I'm the only one being singled out as some sort of monster for it. I didn't realise I was being nasty, but I do admit to taking the piss, if anyone's offended, I certainly don't intend that. As it happens, I'd still be a bit star-struck if I met Nigel again. I certainly did NOT get what I wanted. I can categorically say, without doubt, what I wanted was Nigel to build the club, and by that I mean review his coaching staff, and grow with the club and the players, I wanted to be able to sing to Forest fans that their Nigel was now our Nigel and made us better than them. I wanted that certainly more than I wanted McClaren.

As for your questions.. 

1, I think the team inherited was vastly devalued by the negative comments and feeling aimed towards it following relegation. It was worth way more than people thought and acted at the time. The wallowing gave a ready made excuse and perhaps stopped Nigel from being a bit more successful in that first year or so. But at the time, maybe Hulse £3m, Commons £3m, Albrechtsen £1m, Mears £1m, Green £2m, McEveley £500k, Varney £1m, Pearson £750k, Villa £2m, There were others of saleable value, but as they were all old, no team would want to invest.

2, I think McClaren must think he's landed on his feet. He's probably 3 or 4 shrewd signings away from a brilliant side, and the signings he needs are ones that are traditionally not the most expensive. The difference in overall value is that any buying side will see an investment in the likes of Hendrick and Hughes, although they may not be as influential yet as some players Clough inherited, they will be. Overall, I think (and it's not a dig) Clough struggled with the egos of seasoned pros, and can handle the kids well. A different manager might have seen some value in the players here in Jan 09.

A nice balanced view there Mostyn and I happen to agree. But dont you think your answer to question 2 implies that the coaching staff are not as shambolic as you paint in other posts.

the have strengths and weaknesses - strength spotting and nurturing developing talent, spotting players like Bryson, Brayford and Buxton who can improve enough to be seen as competent or vastly better than that in the Championship. Brysons form this season has been excellent - even prior to Clough going - so some things must have been done right.

TobyWanKenobi

The Blades are a good little relatively local team for him to take over and gradually improve. No immediate expectations of promotion to contend with, little bit of money to spend and no history to trip over.

Hope he does well for them.

A nice balanced view there Mostyn and I happen to agree. But dont you think your answer to question 2 implies that the coaching staff are not as shambolic as you paint in other posts.

the have strengths and weaknesses - strength spotting and nurturing developing talent, spotting players like Bryson, Brayford and Buxton who can improve enough to be seen as competent or vastly better than that in the Championship. Brysons form this season has been excellent - even prior to Clough going - so some things must have been done right.

To be fair, I've never said they were all useless, I always wanted a bit more expertise in certain areas.

1, I think the team inherited was vastly devalued by the negative comments and feeling aimed towards it following relegation. It was worth way more than people thought and acted at the time. 

Not sure how players can be devalued by negative comments, the price of a player is how much someone is willing to pay, simple, the same as houses, cars, whatever commodity. Players like Claude Davis didnt require any negative comments for anyone with half a brain to realise how poor a player he was.

Whether someone thinks a player is worth more than the selling price is totally irrevelant I may think my car is worth ten grand but if the most I get offered is 6 grand that thats its price.

He was asked when he quit Derby he said he needed a break away from the game and now he's back in management some 3.5 weeks later hardly a break, Clough tried to joke about getting under his wife's feet but think he's stung by what he thinks happened to him at Derby and he has some kind of point to prove confidence wise which is knawing away at him when he's kicking his feet at home.

Just hope he's done things for the right reasons.

I expect Sheff Utd will give him the necessary funds to get them into the championship ASAP.

No wonder he feels a sense of injustice, he has left us with a very useful team.

Sadly he wasn't able to finish what he had started - having the rug pulled from underneath him so surreptitiously.

I expect Sheff Utd will give him the necessary funds to get them into the championship ASAP.

No wonder he feels a sense of injustice, he has left us with a very useful team.

Sadly he wasn't able to finish what he had started - having the rug pulled from underneath him so surreptitiously.

How exactly did he have the rug pulled out from underneath him?

Although it does seem like this is a very common opinion on here, I just don't see it.

How exactly did he have the rug pulled out from underneath him?

Although it does seem like this is a very common opinion on here, I just don't see it.

Well, I'm of the opinion that Rush isn't here to maintain the status quo; he was determined to make a mark.

It's his baby now and it seems he wants everyone to know it.

Whether he succeeds or not - time will tell.

Archived