Best goal scored at Pride Park

TuffLuff

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember the game you're talking about though I wasn't there, my dad and I listened to it on the radio driving back from a holiday somewhere up north.

Here's the match report:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/2213774.stm

That's the one! Thanks mate, he was amazing that night, hit the post/crossbar twice...

I can remember a game in 2002/03? Where Zavagno scored one and Morris scored 2.

Just found this mate, brilliant match which left them fuming. Derby lads were chased all over that slither of scrub and our coaches were bricked to bits. Definitely a Christie volley but away from home.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/2648669.stm

That's the one! Thanks mate, he was amazing that night, hit the post/crossbar twice...

Just found this mate, brilliant match which left them fuming. Derby lads were chased all over that slither of scrub and our coaches were bricked to bits. Definitely a Christie volley but away from home.

genuinely cannot remember the first one at home. But the 3-1 away was amazing. My mate parked in Hanley and we had to duck and weave our way back! Very exciting! lol

Seeing "Middlesbrough target Malcolm Christie" on that match report just got me thinking, was McClaren their boss when they signed Riggott and Christie from us? I thought I would've held a grudge against him for that but I don't remember ever doing.

To go back on topic, I think Tommy Smith's opening goal in the 3-0 win against Forest just shades it for me.

Although I haven't seen many moments of magic from a centre back better than this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/J9UygY6dg5A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seeing "Middlesbrough target Malcolm Christie" on that match report just got me thinking, was McClaren their boss when they signed Riggott and Christie from us? I thought I would've held a grudge against him for that but I don't remember ever doing.

To go back on topic, I think Tommy Smith's opening goal in the 3-0 win against Forest just shades it for me.

Although I haven't seen many moments of magic from a centre back better than this:

I don't think he was. Could be wrong though. Memory says he was manager after that.

I'm not really a fan of the hit and hope from 30 yards out.. I mean, that's literally what players are doing.. Hitting it, and hoping it finds a corner.

So whilst Oakley's goal against WBA was a brilliant strike, let's be honest, I bet he wasn't aiming for the top left hand corner.. He was probably hoping just to hit the target, if he had scored the same shot in the top right hand corner it would have been the same..

The best goals are the ones with magnificent technique, actually aiming for something and it coming off (ie. An idiakez free-kick where he actually aims to bend it over the wall and into the top corner) or forme personally what truimphs those goals are team goals.. Ones where hours on the training ground actually pay off.. Something the team tries to do and successfully happens..

So agree with what's been posted before.. One of the best goals has to be the Forest 3-0 the first goal by Tommy Smith.. It had midfield pressure, from breaking quickly, using the space, crisp one touch passing to feet and a beautiful layoff  followed by a finish exactly where Smith wanted it to go..

Wanchope against united was a decent solo effort. Obviously not as good as his one at OT.

Think United won the game 3-2.

More recently that bloke for Palace from about 40 yards out, Paddy McCarthy I think is his name.

Am I dreaming here, or so i seem to remember Matt Oakley possibly scoring some kind of 'scorpion kick' goal where he sort of caught it on a back heel volley whilst twisting and falling. If I didn't dream it then that was a good goal. Reckon Branko Strupar scored a few lovely free kicks aswell

Am I dreaming here, or so i seem to remember Matt Oakley possibly scoring some kind of 'scorpion kick' goal where he sort of caught it on a back heel volley whilst twisting and falling. If I didn't dream it then that was a good goal. Reckon Branko Strupar scored a few lovely free kicks aswell

The Oakley goal was against Coventry, more luck than skill I think.

H v Everton, John Gregory had just joined and we'd won a couple. Moyes had just joined Everton. Full house, electric atmosphere. I think we lost 3-4. Strupar scored with a brilliant bullet header from what seemed like the edge of the box. Great goal!

Archived