Song for McClaren?

PrivateDerby

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never listened to good golden era conscious hip hop before then i take it or any of the jazz influenced stuff such as shades of blue. Rap and hip hop are different genres, don't be ignorant to musical genres then act like you have some kind of superior taste.

Who said anything about rap? I never mentioned it. 

I like some trad jazz, I like most metal, I like an awful lot of blues, I like a huge amount of classical music. I'm even quite taken with Gregorian Chant and folk music. Hell, I even liked five minutes of Run-DMC when their piece of crap was rescued by Aerosmith. Sorry but my taste in music, although quite cosmopolitan, unfortunately for the likes of hip hop artists, is based upon an appreciation of the skill of the performer to play at least one instrument (and I include the human voice as an instrument). It does not include just the ability to manufacture a rhythm and to rhyme. If that was a sole prerequisite, then Richard Stllgoe would be a god amongst men.

Old McLaren at Moor Farm

EiEi O

And at the farm he had a fish

EIEi O

With a slap slap here and a slap slap there

Here a slap, there a slap, everywhere a slap slap

EiEi O

And at the farm he had some rams

EiEi O

With a baa baa here and a baa baa there

Here a baa, there a baa, everywhere a baa baa

EiEi O

Something along those lines.

I like some trad jazz, I like most metal, I like an awful lot of blues, I like a huge amount of classical music. I'm even quite taken with Gregorian Chant and folk music. Hell, I even liked five minutes of Run-DMC when their piece of crap was rescued by Aerosmith. Sorry but my taste in music, although quite cosmopolitan, unfortunately for the likes of hip hop artists, is based upon an appreciation of the skill of the performer to play at least one instrument (and I include the human voice as an instrument). It does not include just the ability to manufacture a rhythm and to rhyme. If that was a sole prerequisite, then Richard Stllgoe would be a god amongst men.

Now you're just showing your age. These kids these day eh?

Now you're just showing your age. These kids these day eh?

It was the Richard Stllgoe bit that gave it away, wasn't it? Just a little too over the top? I should have stopped at Jake Thackaray?

Old McLaren at Moor Farm

EiEi O

And at the farm he had a fish

EIEi O

With a slap slap here and a slap slap there

Here a slap, there a slap, everywhere a slap slap

EiEi O

And at the farm he had some rams

EiEi O

With a baa baa here and a baa baa there

Here a baa, there a baa, everywhere a baa baa

EiEi O

Something along those lines.

I think you've been taking lines........... :ph34r:

You do realise that the producers actually play an electrical instrument to create beats right? They usually do play other instruments. They know more about jazz and classic rock, soul etc than you could ever dream of. They have record collections that are vast. To me it seems you have some older generation preconception about what hip hop is without actually knowing anything. Shades of blue is a homage to a certain jazz album, Madlib created a whole concept album from the Blue Note record catalogue. If you don't think piecing together complex musical arrangements with a lyrical style most cannot achieve takes skill then you are just plain stupid. Music is not just based on how technical or difficult to create it is, that shows a massive failure to understand the art form on your part.

I play guitar to a good level, I invested in an MPC 2000 and tried to make beat arrangements with samples. I couldn't do it, it is damn hard and having the ear to work the right samples and shifting was beyond my ability. I get the feeling you don't even know what hip-hop is. I don't really like classical but i wouldn't say it was any less valuable as a genre. It's funny you should say you like blues, a very simple genre that was pioneered in the deep south based on the same 12-bar blues pattern by slaves with no access to education.

Personally, tomsdubs, I think that you are the person playing the musical snobbery card here - and here you are, openly accusing me of laying claim to some kind of 'superior musical taste'.

What a typical bloody arrogant hypocrite you are.

Personally, tomsdubs, I think that you are the person playing the musical snobbery card here - and here you are, openly accusing me of laying claim to some kind of 'superior musical taste'.

What a typical bloody arrogant hypocrite you are.

I'm the music snob yet you called a whole genre inferior because it doesn't align with your own personal taste? You're a joke mate. I called you out on your ignorance and you reverted to ad hominem attacks, pathetic.

I'm a producer myself, though only as a hobby (hip hop mainly). I used to rap when I was younger, and travelled Derby and the surrounding areas doing free shows for all sorts of occasions.

My range in music starts from classical, right the way through to metal, and thats one advantage I have over many of the other small time producers from all over the country.

I can tell anyone now, that it's really, really hard to get any sort of balance right with a hip hop track. I've been producing for 8 years, and I still struggle to get it right now.

The advantage of listening to all sorts of music is that your horizons are very broad, you can make something from nothing.

Hip hop isn't all about drugs and guns, if you listen closely to what some rappers are saying, it's entirely the opposite.

Without music, some of these people are poetic geniuses.

No one cares what you like.

I'm the music snob yet you called a whole genre inferior because it doesn't align with your own personal taste? You're a joke mate. I called you out on your ignorance and you reverted to ad hominem attacks, pathetic.

I didn't say it was inferior - I said that it was not music, and you then got all pathetically butt-hurt. You can 'call me out on my ignorance' about hip hop as a musical genre if you like, just as you can call me out on my knowledge of bicycles designed by fish. 

The fact that you approached your counter-argument with the same snobbery as you accused me of using (telling the whole world what a great guitarist you are and how much you know about the compositional structure of blues) perfectly entitles me to accuse you of hypocrisy. That's not an ad-hominem attack - that's telling someone to get off their high horse.

Mate. 

Archived