still in a state of shock...

Mostyn6

Last night I attended the first two legs of the pub tour.

All I can advise is to attend, and ask football questions.

I did attend one of these three or four years ago, with Nigel Clough in attendance, and I asked the same type of questions.

Last night, I asked Paul Simpson a few questions. I doubt I've ever been so impressed by someone's analysis and perception of the game. I looked around the room and people were visibly open-jawed and in awe of some of the things he said and the man himself.

There were a few things that stood out. Firstly, EVERYTHING in training is competitive. If you lose, you do a forfeit (runs, press-ups etc) this will nurture a hatred of losing and a love of winning.

The coaching staff are not resting on their laurels, basically cos they won the week before, they'll never say "we won the last game, just do the same". They will spend time analysing the opposition for ways to beat them, emphasis on the word BEAT. Simmo revealed certain things they'd spotted about Watford.

After what seems like an eternity of feeling negative, I'm full circle now. (EDIT: actually no I'm not, cos that means I'm still negative! I'm 180? Opposite?)

Simmo said, we will get beat, so I'm not deluded enough to think we're gonna romp the league. But his attitude, and demeanour, as well as his articulated analysis was an absolute breath of fresh air. I've never seen so many fans go from being sceptical to inspired in such a short space of time. Even Sam Rush sitting next to Simmo was gobsmacked by the sheer detail and intricacy that Simmo seemed to have analysed both Derby and Watford.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers mate.

Said it before (I love Nigel Clough as a bloke) but I never realised I'd become so bored.

You know the thread "when did we accept mid table mediocrity"? I read that title when it first came up and thought to myself 'as if anybody accepts mid table mediocrity!!'

But now, feeling enthusiasm stronger than the typical summer optimism I realise that i had become quite robotic. I had accepted many away defeats and home defeats to Leicester or Reading etc as part and parcel of our seasons. I expected the annual run of terrible form that would usually see us win 1 in 10/12 or something.

It's realistic expectations. McClaren will form patterns and trends and bogey teams will still be there. But I just get the feeling we can beat anyone and I genuinely believe it again. I know we won't somewhere in my head. I know McClaren has his failures.

What I'm talking about though is some new much needed enthusiasm. The feelings! I never realised I'd accepted mid table mediocrity and I'm not blaming Nigel or the board or any one thing. It's just the way it was. It was predictable.

Now, even if its false optimism that a new manager will always bring, I can't predict us. We came from 4-1 down v Ipswich and dominated them. Then against Leeds we produced a superb counter attacking display that I've not seen done so well for a while at PP.

We're unpredictable and I've got some excitement. This is how it should feel. Makes me want to go to the games instead of going because I feel it's my role as a supporter.

Maybe we'll fall straight under the same trap again. Who knows? But for now I'm quite enjoying the new staff. No criticism to Nigel or anyone. It's just how football works.

Same with Jim Smith. Perhaps we hung on too long and we would have benefitted from fresh momentum/ideas. Afterall, Nigel will be remembered for his first couple of years where he cleaned up Jewells mess and kept us in this league. The last couple of years things have become a bit tedious. He's still left behind a decent bunch of players that can produce lovely football.

It nice to feel some real enthusiasm. Reading your report Mostyn has helped nicely.

UTR

Honest question Mostyn do you feel that the optimism will outway the negatives from the way some people have perceived the NC sacking.

Because I hope this doesn't weigh down all the positives.

Still getting letters in last nights DET saying how badly he was treated which I don't agree with at all.

Only one thing generates optimism and that is winning games regularly. The level of optimism is governed by how well they win. I was firmly in the Clough camp and do not think he was treated well (I hope they don't argue about money for him and his coaches), but football is football, managers come and managers go - the King is dead, long live the King and all that. Let's hope that the change moves us forward - the signs are good.

Honest question Mostyn do you feel that the optimism will outway the negatives from the way some people have perceived the NC sacking.

Because I hope this doesn't weigh down all the positives.

Still getting letters in last nights DET saying how badly he was treated which I don't agree with at all.

I still feel that there are some negative feelings around. Sam Rush wouldn't go into too much detail last night, but he made a few comments that were interesting.

1- the club wasn't in crisis, although the club acknowledge that Nigel left the club better than he found it, the club needed a change to reach the next levels

2- Sam Rush has shown a lot of interest in the things said by Southampton owner/chairman Nicola Cortese, who says "I'm the one who can see ALL of the facts, but ultimately the fans will judge if my decision (to sack Adkins) was right.

3- there's NEVER a good time to sack a manager

4- Without directly saying the reasons for sacking Nigel were for anything, his reasons for appointing McClaren, Simpson, Steele and the incoming Tech Director are because they feel that three KEY AREAS were not up to the required standard, these being Coaching, Recruitment and Relationships with other clubs.

Personally, the only way to make people forget about Nigel Clough is to have success. I remember being a bit disappointed in how Roy McFarland was binned, but it was forgotten once Jim Smith had us flying.

Did Rush mention anything about making additions to the coaching staff? (not director of football)

Because at the moment is it literally just Paul Simpson and Steve Mclaren taking the first team. Obviously Eric Steele just works with the keepers.

For example who is physio at the games?

Classic Mostyn, assistant manager regurgitates the word 'beat' and he goes weak and the knees.

It's about time you took them rose-tinted spectacles off.. :ph34r:  

Not really, it all sounds very positive - can't wait for the Watford game! 

:) 

well, you may jest, but I used to Bananas whenever the previous manager spoke of the opposition. It was almost as if he was scared to contemplate victory. How many times did NC big up the opposition and just say that we'd try our hardest and it was important to not lose? Loads of times. Football can be a pyschlogical game. Not just for players and managers, but for fans.

I always yearned to hear of Nigel talk tactics or gameplans, but he tended to brush it aside with a defiance and a "we always keep doing what we are doing".

It wasn't the word 'beat' that seduced me though. But Simmo himself was clearly no-nonsense, all out, let's do this.

Hearing Rush discuss McClaren's criteria was amazing too if I am honest. Made it sound like a no-brainer decision when you discount the Brolly/England thing.

Did Rush mention anything about making additions to the coaching staff? (not director of football)

Because at the moment is it literally just Paul Simpson and Steve Mclaren taking the first team. Obviously Eric Steele just works with the keepers.

For example who is physio at the games?

The fitness coach and physio are still the same as far as i am aware. I did ask about the coaching setup and Simmo said they're happy with what they've got at the moment, with them all taking sessions. Although there are plans to incorporate the U21s in with the first team for training.

The fitness coach and physio are still the same as far as i am aware. I did ask about the coaching setup and Simmo said they're happy with what they've got at the moment, with them all taking sessions. Although there are plans to incorporate the U21s in with the first team for training.

Ah cool, thanks

Can this thread not turn into another excuse to bash the previous management. 

"bash" and "compare" are two different things.

If you think I'm not going to make comparisons, then you're going to be disappointed as that's how opinions are formed I'm afraid duck!

I did attend one of these three or four years ago, with Nigel Clough in attendance, and I asked the same type of questions.

Last night, I asked Paul Simpson a few questions. I doubt I've ever been so impressed by someone's analysis and perception of the game. I looked around the room and people were visibly open-jawed and in awe of some of the things he said and the man himself.

There were a few things that stood out. Firstly, EVERYTHING in training is competitive. If you lose, you do a forfeit (runs, press-ups etc) this will nurture a hatred of losing and a love of winning.

The coaching staff are not resting on their laurels, basically cos they won the week before, they'll never say "we won the last game, just do the same". They will spend time analysing the opposition for ways to beat them, emphasis on the word BEAT. Simmo revealed certain things they'd spotted about Watford.

After what seems like an eternity of feeling negative, I'm full circle now. (EDIT: actually no I'm not, cos that means I'm still negative! I'm 180? Opposite?)

Simmo said, we will get beat, so I'm not deluded enough to think we're gonna romp the league. But his attitude, and demeanour, as well as his articulated analysis was an absolute breath of fresh air. I've never seen so many fans go from being sceptical to inspired in such a short space of time. Even Sam Rush sitting next to Simmo was gobsmacked by the sheer detail and intricacy that Simmo seemed to have analysed both Derby and Watford.

"http://alphabetapie.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/keep-calm-and-dont-be-such-a-drama-queen" alt="keep-calm-and-dont-be-such-a-drama-queen">

:D  :D  :D

I wouldn't get too carried away. Paul Simpson's foray into management wasn't exactly a success was it so I'll reserve judgement on his coaching methods for the moment.

I wouldn't get too carried away. Paul Simpson's foray into management wasn't exactly a success was it so I'll reserve judgement on his coaching methods for the moment.

Oh dear, what an ignorant and uneducated statement.

I suggest you revisit the facts.

From memory, I think he took Rochdale further in the FA cup than Derby have been in the last 10 years!

I think he took Carlisle to two promotions from the conference to league 1.

I think he took Preston to the top of the league (better than Billy Davies managed), only to have his best three players sold (Nugent, Cresswell and was it Sedgewick??) and the money kept.

I also think he was statistically the best manager in the country one year.

Problem he had was he was never given a job at a big club and never given 5 years like some managers are.

Oh dear, what an ignorant and uneducated statement.

I suggest you revisit the facts.

From memory, I think he took Rochdale further in the FA cup than Derby have been in the last 10 years!

I think he took Carlisle to two promotions from the conference to league 1.

I think he took Preston to the top of the league (better than Billy Davies managed), only to have his best three players sold (Nugent, Cresswell and was it Sedgewick??) and the money kept.

I also think he was statistically the best manager in the country one year.

Problem he had was he was never given a job at a big club and never given 5 years like some managers are.

Crikey, he has made quite the impression with you!

You can look at his managerial record another way:

Carlisle: A success

Preston: Sacked after a woeful start to the season

Shrewsbury: Sacked after a poor run of results

Stockport: Sacked after a dismal run

The Mighty Northwich Victoria: Left to take up another position

Good managers get good jobs.

He is clearly not particularly highly though of among the management fraternity. Let's hope he does a little better as a coach.

Crikey, he has made quite the impression with you!

You can look at his managerial record another way:

Carlisle: A success

Preston: Sacked after a woeful start to the season

Shrewsbury: Sacked after a poor run of results

Stockport: Sacked after a dismal run

The Mighty Northwich Victoria: Left to take up another position

Good managers get good jobs.

He is clearly not particularly highly though of among the management fraternity. Let's hope he does a little better as a coach.

if you're prepared to judge someone as myopically as that, dont whine when Nigel's 5 years at the club is consigned to one sentence "sacked after not winning at home" in a few years time. As far as I'm concerned, as much as I wouldn't have wanted Simpson as the manager of Derby County, I believe his record makes him much more qualified than Nigel was (prior to coming) and is now!

Archived