Will the gates go up now Macca is here? #magicbrolly

Mickey1ball

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Radio Derby team commented on the atmosphere yesterday and said it had been a long time since he'd heard Rams fans singing and bouncing around through a home game like that! A little run of decent results and the crowds will be back - it doesn't take much to re-enthuse us lot! COYR!

It was quality yesterday mate... Not heard PP like that for a while!! Leeds were quite for most of the game tbh which just goes to show they shown how to play football!! I really think Macca can get the best out of us, he looks and sounds so determined!

If we win the gates will go up, if we play the exciting football that we've played fro the last three halves the gates will go up. If we sign a couple of eye-catching players the gates will go up, It's all about entertainment. Watching a bunch of honest tryers losing at home is just not very entertaining. The club are lucky that habit and tribal loyalty keep most people going - if a theatre or concert tour provided such poor spectacles on a regular basis their audiences would be almost zero.

At present we're in the honeymoon period. A lot of people who stopped going will come back to watch a game just out of interest. The gates will go up a little because of that. If the next few games entertain the returners then the crowds will certainly start to build. A decent run and we'll be back up to the £30k mark after Christmas. However, if it goes pear-shape now the attendances will fall even further and we'll struggle to get over 20K as the Clough loyalists will also start to drift away.

It's going to be a long, slow process - half of those we lost were Premier League fanboiz, but those went within the first year after relegation. The others - well, that was a slow bleed of around 1500 per season. Some perhaps influenced by results, others by the perceived lack of quality. It's easy to get out of the habit of going to the match.

A few more days like yesterday will help.

It's going to be a long, slow process - half of those we lost were Premier League fanboiz, but those went within the first year after relegation. The others - well, that was a slow bleed of around 1500 per season. Some perhaps influenced by results, others by the perceived lack of quality. It's easy to get out of the habit of going to the match.

A few more days like yesterday will help.

It's deffo easy to get out the habit. After relegation from the PL the first time I lost interest until Burley looked like getting us up. Just listened on the radio but I'd turn that off at the first sign of defeat. Didn't feel great about the wins either. Guess people get exhausted sometimes.

With Burley looking like he was taking us places though you start feeling a bit of buzz and then you're back! Through the good and bad again!

There's a lot of people who won't really get much out of yesterday. They aren't fickle. They just simply lost the emotion. If Mac gets a buzz going it will tug on them. Then they'll boost gates for a good few years I'd imagine regardless of division.

Then there's the football fans that just latch on to Derby as and when it suits. I suppose they'll come back shortly after the real supporters that are missing.

First Mac has to create a buzz to draw the genuine supporters back

I'm more interested in how he affects away attendances. Money is a genuine reason for thousands of people. But there's also thousands that just can't be bothered to follow Nigel's team away. See how they react to McClaren's. Watching Leicester and Forest and Wednesday pack away ends makes me jealous tbh

We used to pack away ends ourselves. In the Brian Clough Division 2 season Derby gave most sides in their division their biggest attendance of the season and for some we actually set records. It was a long time ago, but Aston Villa have still probably got a store-room in the depths of Villa Park packed to the rafters with packets of tea, all post-marked 'Derby'.

sometimes it may not be about the performances, for some people its about the money aspect

Correct

Yesterday cost me.....

£44 ticket

£25 entry to mcfarlands bar

£10 pedigree

£4 trough

Plus travel and parking fees

Well I now have my 1st season ticket since Burley's play off season, yesterday was my 1st game this season. A change of job is the reason behind me getting a ST, I used to work on a Saturday (still do but finish at 2)

sometimes it may not be about the performances, for some people its about the money aspect

That's the stance of the people I know who've followed the Rams since the 60's.

It's all about the money (board money that is)- or lack of it as they see. They believe the board have got even less ambition now than what they had when they first acquired the club.

Their views may change now things have been shook up a bit, who knows, but to them it seems whoever is in charge, they have to do the nigh on impossible task of making a silk purse out of a sows ear in terms of what's available in the budget.

So, exciting as the present is, can SM work miracles because he may not get the funds needed to make the step up to the Premiership without selling our best players - and by doing that, we may not advance. Then it comes down to his and his teams ability. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

There are other reasons why they won't renew but I reckon this is the biggest.

They are not fans of the whole matchday experience either. They really miss the BBG days, nothing PP has to offer interests them.

Archived