Ben Robinson

Pearson

An interesting insight from the respected Chairman of Burton Albion, Ben Robinson, who worked with Nigel for 10 years, and who I guess, knows him pretty well.

Taken from below –

“It’s really disappointing he’s not been given the opportunity to finish the job”

And that statement alone says it all really. I firmly believe that he would have finished the job, and with style, honesty and integrity.

Can we apply the same rationale to our CEO?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BURTON Albion chairman Ben Robinson says Nigel Clough was up against it trying to get Derby County to the Premier League on one of the Championship’s smallest budgets.

The Brewers chairman, who reaped the benefits of giving Clough time to work during his 10-year spell in charge at Burton, says the 47-year-old worked wonders at Pride Park.

Clough was sacked on Saturday, with Steve McClaren taking over as manager.

“When Nigel was appointed in 2009, I would imagine the wage bill was in excess of £18 million and part of his job initially was to cut that back significantly,” said the chairman.

“Now, I would imagine it is under £9m, so he’s reduced it by 50 per cent.

“Any club assessing their manager’s performance will always look and ask if the team’s results match the financial investment in the squad.

“It’s a tough ask for any manager getting out of the Championship into the Premier League on that sort of budget when you compare that with the likes of, for example, Leicester and Forest, whom I understand have first-team budgets in excess of £20m.

“Added to that, Derby are competing against the clubs coming out of the Premier League, who will be receiving parachute payments of something like £14m per season.”

Robinson says Clough will have wanted to finish off the job at Derby and taken them to the top flight again.

“I really feel for Nigel because he started the job,” he said.

“He turned the club’s financial fortunes around in terms of the first-team sustainability.

“It’s really disappointing he’s not been given the opportunity to finish the job.

“As an individual, his honesty and integrity is unquestionable – he’s a consummate professional.

“He’s a very loyal person and hence I never heard him whinge or mention any negatives about the job at Derby.

“When we worked together at Burton over all those years, he was very, very careful with how he spent our money – he was very judicious and treated it like it was his own.”

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So much for moving on.

He certainly earned the money he was paid to do the job, but alas he was paid.

There were many times during his time here where our performances and runs of results would have got any other manager sacked - even those working with an even smaller budget. Keith Hill at Barnsley for example.

It was pretty obvious what the thread was about tbf.

It could have been that he was selling Burton, or that he was in ill health, or something else.

I've gone and contributed to the thread now, oh well, but:

We're just going in circles - everything that can possibly be said has been said now.

If we make a new thread every time someone new voices their opinion we'll be flooded!

There are plenty of threads to discuss NC already. Surely this has to be the final one created?

So much for moving on.

He certainly earned the money he was paid to do the job, but alas he was paid.

There were many times during his time here where our performances and runs of results would have got any other manager sacked - even those working with an even smaller budget. Keith Hill at Barnsley for example.

It could have been that he was selling Burton, or that he was in ill health, or something else.

I've gone and contributed to the thread now, oh well, but:

We're just going in circles - everything that can possibly be said has been said now.

If we make a new thread every time someone new voices their opinion we'll be flooded!

There are plenty of threads to discuss NC already. Surely this has to be the final one created?

This is not a One-Way street CM. You have been sticking the knife in for the past two years -  in a cowardly fashion I may add - Why not read the article again and post something positive!

Pardon?

I've been sticking the knife in, cowardly, for 2 years?

1) Who have I been sticking a knife into?

2) How have I been doing it in a cowardly fashion?

3) How have I been doing it for 2 years?

I've backed Clough on many, many occasions and I've only been posting here since April, so I really don't know what you're on about! Have you confused me with someone else?

I just think it's time for people to move on, not create new threads for the same arguments that we've had on numerous other threads. When will it end? Will we get a thread named '"Stuart Pearce" when he voices his opinion, to repeat the same arguments on again? It has to stop somewhere, doesn't it?

I wasn't suggesting this thread be deleted, just that it be the last of its type... or turned into a poll  :D

:lol:

There was me thinking he had a job and his bosses decided he wasn't good enough.

You know what I meant  :rolleyes:

Nigel did everything that was asked of him, he stuck to the plan and would have continued to. I suppose the board took what most fans (including myself) were saying about having to finish in the top six this season or that's it. They obviously thought that we'd have a better chance with Stevie Mac so that was that... fair enough, maybe we have got a better chance, we definitely will have with extra funding.

Totally agree that results weren't up to scratch but there is no getting away from it, he was used.

He bailed us out, patched the hull up, steady the ship but was not allowed to sail it... so wrong.

Can we stop now please. I'm tired of reading new threads that end up saying the same thing. That the treatment of Nigel was despicable (although nobody has to explain how it is anymore despicable than previous sackings) and paint him as some sort of saviour of DCFC who was crucified, I wouldn't be surprised if people turned up at pride park with Nigel pendants around their neck. Also people going on about how Rush is a horrible human being because he delivered the news. If someone can explain what Rush was supposed to do instead then let me know. But some would believe that Rush hung up the phone to Nigel, sat back on an ornate chair constructed of the limbs of previous fallen heroes and then literally started ripping pages out of a book of the history of Derby County and throwing them onto a fire that was glowing red with pure hatred, laughing maniacally whilst he did it.

Whatever level of job you thought he did here, he's gone. The company decided to sack him and the CEO had to do it and then get someone else in. The CEO has done what he's paid to do. I think it's clear now who doesn't like the decision. I'm not sure what else can come from all of this. The decision won't change.

Archived