Steve's first job

rynny

So Steve McClaren got a good look at the team and 1st half they showed him exactly what has been our problem for a while, balls into the box. This will be the first place to improve the team. How is he going to do this? Set piece training? New CB? Or is Whitbread the answer?

Having said that 2nd half will have shown Steve our strength and how we can play and the basis of a good team.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of general play I was quite impressed with Whitbread last night, thought some of his passing out of defence was good. Clearly made a cock up for the first goal, looked to me like the Ipswich player just wanted it more and bullied him out of it.

In the first half I reckon McClaren probably had a shopping list of 11 positions he needed filling, second half he's just probably thinkg how he'll reaplace Eustace with a like for like at the end of the season because for me that changed the game.

We need to improve LB and ideally RB. Whitbread had a shaky start but he has been playing reserve football recently but he grew into the game and scored a nice goal. 

Although Eustace made a big difference last night I still think we could do with a big solid defensive midfielder who can play the full 90 mins and will compliment Hughes and Bryson someone like George Boateng in his prime.

Hanson is a LB isn't he, i'd rather see him play ahead of Forsyth.

Keogh shouldn't come back in the team, he is not a leader of men.

He needs to find a replacement for Ward and give Hughes a kick up the arse.

Then I think we'll be champions.

BBC Stats show that we had 63% possession last night, in fact this season, we have only had less possession than the opposition twice ( Bolton away and Blackburn home)

Ipswich 63%

Forest 54%

Leicester (Cup) 59%

Reading 57%

Milwall 53%

Burnley 57%

Brentford (Cup) 51%

Yeovil 50%

Leicester 58%

Brighton 51%

Oldham (Cup) 52%

Bolton 40%

Blackburn 45%

From those stats alone, it's pretty clear that we would be Top 6 if we cut out the sloppy defending.

McClaren really hasn't got much to get wrong here - he has a stable squad which can play some lovely football and showed last night that they are no quitters.

He basically has one job - sort the defence out.

Hanson is a LB isn't he, i'd rather see him play ahead of Forsyth.

Keogh shouldn't come back in the team, he is not a leader of men.

He needs to find a replacement for Ward and give Hughes a kick up the arse.

Then I think we'll be champions.

Hoganson will be an option too.

There is no point talking about young/inexperienced people as first choice defenders. They may do OK for 85 minutes, but they are still learning and it's that 1 mistake that costs the game.

We need a solid back 4 that can rely on each other, not having to worry about the others doing their job

There is no point talking about young/inexperienced people as first choice defenders. They may do OK for 85 minutes, but they are still learning and it's that 1 mistake that costs the game.

We need a solid back 4 that can rely on each other, not having to worry about the others doing their job

Jason shackell anyone ?????

We need to improve LB and ideally RB. Whitbread had a shaky start but he has been playing reserve football recently but he grew into the game and scored a nice goal.

Although Eustace made a big difference last night I still think we could do with a big solid defensive midfielder who can play the full 90 mins and will compliment Hughes and Bryson someone like George Boateng in his prime.

Yaya Toure, maybe?

At what point in time do you give them games then? If you're good enough you're old enough as someone once said.

I doubt even a 16 year old could display the lack of confidence that Forsyth does at times.

At what point in time do you give them games then? If you're good enough you're old enough as someone once said.

I doubt even a 16 year old could display the lack of confidence that Forsyth does at times.

You give them games when the side is high on confidence (i.e. winning).

Tbh I have faith that the coaching skills of McClaren will improve the decision making of our defenders. Sometimes the defend space instead of the ball and then you've got Keogh and sometimes Buxton who defend the ball and ignore everything else.

I think he'll have a positive impact on the concentration levels.

I just hope he continues to let the side develop their passing. Including the pointless sideways passes that aren't always pointless. These players are rubbish in the air and they are never going to bully someone. It's vital for them to keep the ball or he's going to need to change the squad. That's the area I'm more concerned about even though we let 4 in last night.

I think in time and with Whitbread he'll get the defence much more focused.

The biggest thing I bet he learned last night was how we function better when the defence is protected. It was like that when Savage and Bailey used to sit there too. It just gives us a nice early point to get the ball in midfield and also just gives the CB's less thinking to do.

I wouldn't complain if Bailey was brought back when he's recovered. Eustace getting on as he is.

He said he's learned not to do too much too quickly after his Forest time.

So hopefully it's pretty much to do what we've been doing and try to eradicate the soft goals. Perhaps by protecting the defence with Eustace he might also free up Hughes a lot more?

One of the things that McClaren said about coaching players is that you have to "...get inside their heads".

Judging from last night, in the first half there was probably as much space between their ears as there was in our 6 yard box. More than enough room for McClaren to climb in.

Hoganson will be an option too.

neither Lowe nor Hoganson are good enough defensively to start as a LB (so far). I think Smith is weaker then Forsyth and if keeps repeating his run square inside, the opposition will pick him off and counter attack.

neither Lowe nor Hoganson are good enough defensively to start as a LB (so far). I think Smith is weaker then Forsyth and if keeps repeating his run square inside, the opposition will pick him off and counter attack.

I'm not sure if I'm accidentally looking for Forsyth mistakes tbh. I seem to be getting more frustrated with him with every game.

The thing about Smith is he's the worst one for defending space. At no point does he seem to realise that the ball is more dangerous. What's he doing?!?

Archived