Steve McClaren

Day

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you seriously consider Buxton Premier class either though Alpha. Interesting to see the back 4 tomorrow as Freeman fit again

Nah. I suspect Whitbread will be better than both. Shackell I thought could perhaps play at that level if he stopped Hollywood passes to the linesman.

I just think Bucko is better than Keogh. I don't think many players from this league could play higher. Any team that goes up needs to either invest heavily in 3/4 key areas or yoyo like WBA. Or perhaps become a fluid team like Swansea who were first and foremost solid at the back with a PL quality CB like Williams and had 2/3 other extremely good players too good for this league. Great management at Swansea. A real TEAM game that they play.

He'll bring Keogh back because he's captain. I suspect he'll want to see Freeman as he's mentioned him in his interview and Smith has had 2 poor games.

I have been consistent on my accessment of Buxton he is ok when the ball is in front of him but ask him to turn or read a game then forget it.

Against Ipswich he was terrible. Keogh has carried the defense for me.

Against Ipswich he had a very dodgy first half, but like the team, played well in the second. I have been disappointed with Keogh this season. He is very high risk with his decision making and positioning. Whether Buxton is a player SM wants or not remains to be seen, but I am sure that he will continue to have a good career in this league. Back to Keogh, I would take the captaincy off him and let him concentrate just on his football to see if that helps.

I have been consistent on my accessment of Buxton he is ok when the ball is in front of him but ask him to turn or read a game then forget it.

Against Ipswich he was terrible. Keogh has carried the defense for me.

See I view it the other way. Buxton has been the best of them for me. Keogh attacks the ball. He has eyes for the ball only. Zero awareness.

One thing I do agree with you on though is Hendrick. He was useless for half of last season but he's just been superb since. It's a good job Bryson has picked up some great form since Hendrick has been out. Looking forward to him coming back. Miss his height and strength and the drives from midfield he's suddenly started doing more often.

See I view it the other way. Buxton has been the best of them for me. Keogh attacks the ball. He has eyes for the ball only. Zero awareness.

One thing I do agree with you on though is Hendrick. He was useless for half of last season but he's just been superb since. It's a good job Bryson has picked up some great form since Hendrick has been out. Looking forward to him coming back. Miss his height and strength and the drives from midfield he's suddenly started doing more often.

Absol-facking-utely boss!

Keogh has been our second worst player this season, Buxton our second best, Forsyth our worst Freeman is below a 6 average and Smith is teetering above a 6.

I think Buxton will be taken out tomorrow - and if so, fair enough but Keogh needs to pull his finger out if so! because so far this season, he has just looked Clod-esc. 

Got to find the right partnership as much as anything else. Keogh/Buxton has never looked like it.

Buxton has performed better than Keogh individually, but maybe something about Whitbread/Keogh would click.

I think keogh is right sided, and whitbread is left sided.

So, that's why I think it'll end up like that. 

As I said, Keogh and Forsyth need to get their finger out - struggling to be seen as even 'average' this season. Not what you want for 2 players that are integral to our team.

Absol-facking-utely boss!

Keogh has been our second worst player this season, Buxton our second best, Forsyth our worst Freeman is below a 6 average and Smith is teetering above a 6.

I think Buxton will be taken out tomorrow - and if so, fair enough but Keogh needs to pull his finger out if so! because so far this season, he has just looked Clod-esc. 

Is that your opinion or done by journalists elsewhere?

Keogh seems to be trying to win the ball back as quickly as possibly, and diving in as a result. His 2 yellow card challenges against Forest are challenges you'd expect from an amateur

Is that your opinion or done by journalists elsewhere?

Keogh seems to be trying to win the ball back as quickly as possibly, and diving in as a result. His 2 yellow card challenges against Forest are challenges you'd expect from an amateur

I've watched every game this season and just looked at positives and negatives of players during the game, just as I wanted to track if the eyes deceive people at football and it many ways, yes they do - but, I suppose you can't factor in for atmopshere when you're at games.

Buxton usually gets good marks for his defending, and his distribution out wide, and bad marks for his distribution out wide :ph34r:  as well as his infield passes which sometimes go amiss. 

Keogh usually gets good marks for tracking ground, standing players up and making big tackles, he gets bad marks for lack of intelligence in situations, and hopeless hoofs down the channel which unless Sammon is playing barely get attempted. His strengths are obviously cutting through the midfield with good passes now and again.

Buxton for me is the better footballer, he aims for his man and can hit him more often than not, and also the better defender - he will compete for everything, and is also strong in the tackle - obviously he can't make up ground, and that's where his improvement has come from - reading the game better.

Keogh can make shorter paces with more accuracy, but if there isn't a man on - his competency in the long ball, is usually into an area rather than a man!

and good to see you back Bris.   

Got to find the right partnership as much as anything else. Keogh/Buxton has never looked like it.

Buxton has performed better than Keogh individually, but maybe something about Whitbread/Keogh would click.

I think Keogh/Whitbread has a very good chance of clicking tbh. Especially at this level where we can't afford all-round great CB's, it's all about balance and covering each other's weaknesses.

For me, Keogh is too rash and instinctive, Whitbread looks calm and composed.

Keogh is athletic and misreads often, Whitbread is all about the positioning to cover his own physical flaws.

Keogh likes to play it short and sideways no matter the situation, Whitbread knows when to hoof it upfield.

On top of that, both of them are very good in the air and can score goals, as well as one being a natural RCB and the other being a LCB. Think we might have a good partnership here, even if we don't bring Keane in.

Archived