Clough Has Gone

Shuff264

From John Percy who is always right.

Clough’s four-year reign was brought to an end three hours after the defeat to Nottingham Forest, the club he served with distinction as a player, and Derby are believed to already be closing in on his successor.

The son of legendary manager Brian, Clough was given the grim news by chief executive Sam Rush, by telephone, following a conference call with the club’s American owners. Clough had been asked to attend a meeting at Pride Park but demanded to be given notification of his dismissal over the phone, which Rush duly did.

Derby’s 1-0 defeat to their bitter rivals was Clough’s third in a row, but only their first away this season, and leaves them 14th in the table.

McClaren, a former Derby player who later worked as assistant manager under Jim Smith, is currently working with Harry Redknapp at Queens Park Rangers and is understood to be keen on the post, while Tony Pulis, the ex-Stoke manager, is also likely to be on the shortlist.

Pulis was at the City Ground on Saturday but his presence is believed to have been coincidental, as he also attended Watford’s game against Wigan later that day

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The real positive I take out of today is that the board have shown that they can be decisive and have acted rather than give a problem lip service or apply spin. Credit to them.

agreed

From John Percy who is always right.

Clough’s four-year reign was brought to an end three hours after the defeat to Nottingham Forest, the club he served with distinction as a player, and Derby are believed to already be closing in on his successor.

The son of legendary manager Brian, Clough was given the grim news by chief executive Sam Rush, by telephone, following a conference call with the club’s American owners. Clough had been asked to attend a meeting at Pride Park but demanded to be given notification of his dismissal over the phone, which Rush duly did.

Derby’s 1-0 defeat to their bitter rivals was Clough’s third in a row, but only their first away this season, and leaves them 14th in the table.

McClaren, a former Derby player who later worked as assistant manager under Jim Smith, is currently working with Harry Redknapp at Queens Park Rangers and is understood to be keen on the post, while Tony Pulis, the ex-Stoke manager, is also likely to be on the shortlist.

Pulis was at the City Ground on Saturday but his presence is believed to have been coincidental, as he also attended Watford’s game against Wigan later

Clough stubborn right to the end

Board absolutely to blame for were we are, paupers budget...I just can not wait for them to sod off..

Good luck to Nigel, think he was the victim of owners panicking that the gates would drop further & needed to offer a scapegoat for their lack of investment...what did they expect him to achieve with the budget given him??

Well it's been a long time coming and it's the right decision. The board could see that we were stagnating and the club was haemorrhaging fans. I only hope Nigel was given the decency of a face to face explanation for his dismissal rather than a phone call as I've read. He obviously put his heart and soul into the club but he was never going to be the man to take us any further. The board are culpable for the state we are in too so the next manager needs to be bang on, not someone like Pulis or his like.

Board absolutely to blame for were we are, paupers budget...I just can not wait for them to sod off..

Good luck to Nigel, think he was the victim of owners panicking that the gates would drop further & needed to offer a scapegoat for their lack of investment...what did they expect him to achieve with the budget given him??

. Think that just about sums it up for many of us.

Haven't read all this thread but will just say my piece...........

My heart sooo wanted Nigel to do well. My head knew what a tough job it would be for him.  He's always going to be well thought of here.  He knew today didn't he, and so did the players. laclustre. no oomph.

Thing that does me - why today, after Forest?  They now think they have not only beaten us on the pitch - they've got Nige sacked as well.  Bit ***** for me.  Why now? 

AND.......AND......if this is the board doing this, then time to pull out all the stops, get some money in, Football clubs are never going to be a money maker, get some money in and let's get going.......

Archived