Clough's options this week

HeyHudson

Just come across this blog post which seems to sum up the dilemma Clough faces with Leicester and Forest so close together.

http://ramspaceuk.wordpress.com/2013/09/22/a-big-week-for-the-rams-decisions-decisions/

"It is fair to say that despite an okay league placing and some great results this season, there is ,as usual, plenty of criticism of Clough at present. Mainly due to the 20,000+ home fans not seeing too much to be optimistic about so far. This week won’t affect the season too much but its massive in terms of the general mood and goodwill towards Clough – Forest away next Saturday and geographically close non-rivals Leicester in the Cup on Tuesday. Can Clough afford to rest players for Tuesday? What would we think if we won after 120 minutes in the Cup only to be trounced by the Red Dogs?

Its an unenviable situation for Clough – we’re playing two top six teams away from home in the space of a few days. If we were playing, for example, QPR and Watford, expectations would be realistic i.e. low. The problem is we’re playing two teams who we really do not like to lose against (not that you like losing to anyone!)

In my eyes, Clough had three options for the Leicester match:

1. Go with his strongest team (that is to say at least 10 starters from the last couple of games).

Pros – Theoretically gives the maximum chance of getting a result in both games.

Cons – High risk of injury and fatigue. The knives would be out if a key player was injured at Leicester or we looked knackered at the City ground after potentially 120 minutes. Clough has been saying how he’s happy with his first 18 and could play anyone. If he doesn’t rotate on Tuesday, it doesn’t show much faith in the others.

2. Make a couple of changes, perhaps start with Sammon, bring Coutts back in and consider starts for Freeman and Jacobs.

Pros – Freshens things up, gives someone a rest and some would say produces a stronger team. If we don’t win, we know we’ve got more in the tank for Saturday.

Cons – Tweaking a couple of players is neither here nor there. It will be more or less the same team, showing that the squad isn’t actually that versatile beyond swapping a striker here or there. If we lose, there are still no excuses.

3. Make significant changes, including a couple of wild cards:

Pros – everyone likes to see some new faces and experimentation and will be more forgiving in defeat. Leicester will probably mix it up and its the Carling Cup after all. As for who should come in – Freeman, Bennett, Jacobs, Sammon. Considering the dearth of left footed players in the main ‘squad’ I would also consider Hoganson, new Northern Ireland 21 cap Rhys Sharpe and even Max Lowe who bagged a couple of goals for the U21s this week. Admittedly, I’ve seen limited amounts of these players (but seen them all nevertheless) and given Forsyth’s up and down form, it wouldn’t be a bad thing to add one or two to the squad. Gjokaj should also be considered, seeing as he’s the only other defender in the squad!

Cons – risk of a morale sapping heavy defeat. Accusations of not taking the cup seriously when its our best run in years.

Personally, I’d go for option 3. How about you?

S Spaceram"

Seems to be the long-and-short of it. I don't envy him at all.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we lose to Leicester with a weakened side he won't be blamed at all.

Lose to Forest under ANY circumstances and he'll be walking into the lions den.

I'm going to Leicester, but would be happy to see a few young players thrown in, personally I would throw Hoganson, Gjoakj, Freeman, Bailey, Jacobs, Coutts/Eustace, Bennett

Preserve as many as we can for the Forest game.

If we lose to Leicester with a weakened side he won't be blamed at all.

Lose to Forest under ANY circumstances and he'll be walking into the lions den.

I'm going to Leicester, but would be happy to see a few young players thrown in, personally I would throw Hoganson, Gjoakj, Freeman, Bailey, Jacobs, Coutts/Eustace, Bennett

Preserve as many as we can for the Forest game.

Couldn't agree more. I really couldn't give a toss about the cup with our league form as patchy as it is. Give the fringe players a run out.

Couldn't agree more. I really couldn't give a toss about the cup with our league form as patchy as it is. Give the fringe players a run out.

Give Max Lowe a debut, may as well get another young'un on big clubs radar! he seems in good form for England/Development side and Hanson too.

Hanson is a free kick taker. 1-0 Hanson  :D

The word on the streets of Leicester is that Pearson is also going to resting players and giving some of the squad players a run out.

I don't think either manager will be going helbent on winning this

Saying that...

cup run = more revenue.

I think the board will be pushing for this more than the forest game, for own personal gain.

I think sadly that we now accept that we will be beaten by Leicester in whatever game we play them in from croquet to tiddlywinks which is more an indictment of our expectations being suppressed than anything else. If we lost against Forest and Leicester than what will change? Probably nothing as if we win the next game then the people with splinters in their backside will forget about these 2 games and gloss things over. 

I think we might see Jacobs, Sammon and Coutts in for Ward, Martin/Russel and Hughes.

I think Gjokaj should get a run too, I highly doubt it though as he didn't against Oldham or Brentford...

Already said the same 18 as reading so, I imagine..

-------------------Grant

Freeman--Keogh--Buxton--Forsyth

------------------Coutts

Bavies---------------------------Bryson

------------------Jacobs

-------Sammon----------Bennett

Freeman in for Smith

Coutts in for Eustace

Bavies in for Hughes

Jacobs in for Ward

Sammon in for Russell

Bennett in for Martin