Stupidest Stupidest thing you've heard thread.

-JW-

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During my oober busy day yesterday at work a caretaker stopped me and proceeded to tell me ( wether I wanted to hear it or not), that Humpty Dumpty, was in fact, a cannon.

And, that memory genes can be passed on because a woman claimed that she knew all about an Egyptian burial ground but yet she'd never been there.

As you can imagine I was well impressed.

During my oober busy day yesterday at work a caretaker stopped me and proceeded to tell me ( wether I wanted to hear it or not), that Humpty Dumpty, was in fact, a cannon.

And, that memory genes can be passed on because a woman claimed that she knew all about an Egyptian burial ground but yet she'd never been there.

As you can imagine I was well impressed.

You lead an exciting life my friend. :D

The suggestion that Humpty Dumpty was a "tortoise" siege engine, an armoured frame, used unsuccessfully to approach the walls of the Parliamentary held city of Gloucester in 1643 during the Siege of Gloucester in the English Civil War, was put forward in 1956 by Professor David Daube in The Oxford Magazine of February 16, 1956, on the basis of a contemporary account of the attack, but without evidence that the rhyme was connected. The theory, part of an anonymous series of articles on the origin of nursery rhymes, was widely acclaimed in academia, but was derided by others as "ingenuity for ingenuity's sake" and declared to be a spoof. The link was nevertheless popularised by a children's opera All the King's Men by Richard Rodney Bennett, first performed in 1969.

The suggestion that Humpty Dumpty was a "tortoise" siege engine, an armoured frame, used unsuccessfully to approach the walls of the Parliamentary held city of Gloucester in 1643 during the Siege of Gloucester in the English Civil War, was put forward in 1956 by Professor David Daube in The Oxford Magazine of February 16, 1956, on the basis of a contemporary account of the attack, but without evidence that the rhyme was connected. The theory, part of an anonymous series of articles on the origin of nursery rhymes, was widely acclaimed in academia, but was derided by others as "ingenuity for ingenuity's sake" and declared to be a spoof. The link was nevertheless popularised by a children's opera All the King's Men by Richard Rodney Bennett, first performed in 1969.

Bet you googled that.

Archived