NFL thread

Perky1106

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Our sole pick from FA has been Jack Crawford, good addition in my eyes.

Could do with a couple more, though.

Problem is pass rush... he provides none of it, and Dwight Freeney is still a FA and is old as hell even if he comes back. Vic Beasley can't do it alone.

Offensive line contracts this off season have been absolutely mental. Poor free agency class, coupled with a poor draft class for it, has gotten people like Matt Kalil and Russell Okung ridiculous rich for poor to average players.

9 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

I have an absolutely hideous feeling we're going to draft 'the QB of the future' at #13...

It's near impossible to know with QB's whether they will turn out as that phrase. You may well draft someone who becomes a franchise record breaker...or the next Christian Ponder...

Who do you want at #13?

14 hours ago, r4derby said:

It's near impossible to know with QB's whether they will turn out as that phrase. You may well draft someone who becomes a franchise record breaker...or the next Christian Ponder...

Who do you want at #13?

I liked the idea of OJ Howard a lot, but now we've signed up Gresham to a fairly hefty deal, I'm not sure. Don't think he'd have still been there at #13 anyway but he'd have been an upgrade on Gresham in my eyes. Ariansdidn't really utilise the TE well last year, Gresham only really started getting trusted with the ball in the second half of the season, I'd like to see what we'd do with Howard.

I like Derek Barnett but he won't be there at #13.

I guess Watson wouldn't be the worst pick at #13, but I feel he's probably overrated for his success and having the unquantifiable skill of being 'clutch'. Largely goes out the window for rookie QB's anyway. "He's a winner", yeah but he also threw like 16 interceptions last year. Sort of depends on what the Browns are doing too, if they trade for Jimmy G then it would open up the QB situation nicely for us.

I think in what could be the last year of our Super Bowl window, a safe pick like Howard would be better than using it on a young QB who will hardly see a snap all year. There's an argument that getting a QB is a good way to keep the season alive if Carson goes down, but if that's the case then trade for AJ McCarron. He not only could be the QB of the future but has NFL and play off experience.

1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

I liked the idea of OJ Howard a lot, but now we've signed up Gresham to a fairly hefty deal, I'm not sure. Don't think he'd have still been there at #13 anyway but he'd have been an upgrade on Gresham in my eyes. Ariansdidn't really utilise the TE well last year, Gresham only really started getting trusted with the ball in the second half of the season, I'd like to see what we'd do with Howard.

I like Derek Barnett but he won't be there at #13.

I guess Watson wouldn't be the worst pick at #13, but I feel he's probably overrated for his success and having the unquantifiable skill of being 'clutch'. Largely goes out the window for rookie QB's anyway. "He's a winner", yeah but he also threw like 16 interceptions last year. Sort of depends on what the Browns are doing too, if they trade for Jimmy G then it would open up the QB situation nicely for us.

I think in what could be the last year of our Super Bowl window, a safe pick like Howard would be better than using it on a young QB who will hardly see a snap all year. There's an argument that getting a QB is a good way to keep the season alive if Carson goes down, but if that's the case then trade for AJ McCarron. He not only could be the QB of the future but has NFL and play off experience.

You've also lost 2 out of 3 safeties.

6 hours ago, Srg said:

You've also lost 2 out of 3 safeties.

We've brought in Antoine Bethea, who will hopefully do a job in our scheme, plus Tyvon Branch is still hanging around. Reckon we might draft one later on, doubt it'll be first round though. 

Our scheme seems to really get the best out of some safeties, Swearinger, Jefferson and obviously Mathieu are testament to that, so I think it's a position we should be less worried about.

Bigger issue is whoever's playing across from Pat Pete, because they get everything thrown at them. It's crazy how little Peterson gets targeted. Now we've lost Marcus Cooper hopefully we'll pick up a corner in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Who would you want at #16?

Does anyone else find themselves repeatedly confused for a brief moment whenever an NFL media person tweets etc. about the Rams? 

On 21/03/2017 at 13:39, SaintRam said:

Does anyone else find themselves repeatedly confused for a brief moment whenever an NFL media person tweets etc. about the Rams? 

Not often, mainly because the websites I use for NFL stuff are American, layout different to the Derby related stuff. 

Rams at the minute are like Derby under Pearson - defence id stingy only allowing 1 TD max...the problem is they can't score for love nor money, despite having some potentially good pieces on offense (Tavon Austin, I'm looking at you...!) and thus lose 7-3 most weeks

I can see this being one the NFL lives to regret. Small market, probably majority opposition fans every week, opens a whole world of problems with players getting in trouble, gambling is still very much frowned upon through the majority of the US and most definitely the NFL... many reasons this isn't great. Let's not forget this 3 moves in 14 months, and only one of those has been seen as remotely positive.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived