Statistical start to the season

Ambitious

good little website this, don't know about it's legitimacy but still.. http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/3859/Stages/7800/PlayerStatistics/England-Championship-2013-2014

Average possession: 55.4% (5th Best)

Pass completion: 80% (6th best)

Average Ariel Battles Won: 19.4 (9th best)
Average Shots conceded per game: 12.2 (8th best)
Average tackles per game: 16.6 (16th best)
Average Interceptions per game: 7.4 (17th best)
Average Fouls per game: 12 (18th best)
Average Shots per game: 14.8 (5th best)
Average Shots on Target per game: 5.2 (3rd best)
Successful dribbles per game: 9.4 (4th best)
Average fouls on per game: 14.6 (2nd best)
Average offsides per game: 2 (18th best)

Players:

Average shots per game: Martin 3.4 (5th best) Russell 2.9 (19th best)
Pass Success: Bryson 88.9 (26th best)
Average passes: Forsyth 44 (39th best)
Average crosses: Coutts 2.2 (13th best)
Accurate long ball: Keogh 4.8 (53rd best)
Ariel Battle Won: Buxton 5.6 (7th best) Keogh 4.4 (18th best)
Tackle: Hughes 3 (18th best)
Interceptions: Bryson 1.6 (27th best)
Clearances: Buxton 12.8 (13th best)
Been taken on: Bryson 1.2 (29th worst)
Blocked shots: Keogh 0.6 (50th best)
Key Passes: Hughes 1.8 (21st best)
Successful dribble: Ward 2 (12th best)

Fouled per game: Martin 4.6 (1st) Hughes 2.4 (11th) Hendrick 2.2 (16th)
Offside: Russell 0.6 (46th worst)

Worth a look at least

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

things that stood out for me:-

"Ariel battle won" - WTF has a washing powder got to do with it.

and,

where are the statistics for aerial battles won? lol

Just noticed, I can't even copy words correctly today  :( probably doing my boss a favour by sitting on this all day, rather than working.

So to sum up.

Attacking - we need to convert more of our chances and stop being offside/time runs better.

Defending - our tackles and interceptions have to improve. 

Through watching the home games I would say they were our weaknesses, apart from I had no idea how bad we were in comparison to other teams at being called offside. 

(I suspect Hughes gets about 90% of our interceptions).

So to sum up.

Attacking - we need to convert more of our chances and stop being offside/time runs better.

Defending - our tackles and interceptions have to improve. 

Through watching the home games I would say they were our weaknesses, apart from I had no idea how bad we were in comparison to other teams at being called offside. 

(I suspect Hughes gets about 90% of our interceptions).

We'll never improve our tackling, Nige values the clubs booking record too much.

I quite like stats like these. More than 'assists'.

I also like it when you see the average position of a player on the pitch.

Can serve as a wake up call. The team stats point to a team challenging for then play offs but obviously putting a foot in is a problem. We're weak.

Shows we either need to keep the ball even better or we have to do more to get the ball back.

Pretty impressed.

Any chance of a comparison to our opening games last year?

I did have a think about this, but it's almost impossible to know without going through the games and marking performances down...etc (no stats on it) from what I remember (which is known to be dodgy)

12/13 - Sheffield Wednesday - fantastic start to the match, probably some of our best football all season, allowed a 2-0 goal lead slip as we buckled under the pressure.

13/14 - Blackburn Rovers - a slightly underwhelming start by all accounts with us being off the pace from the first minute, Rochina found a gap and was able to cause a lot of damage, got injured - we had 20/30 minutes of being the better side.

12/13 - Bolton - largely disappointing game, never looked in it - I did watch it via rams player mind, but we was domineered.

13/14 - Brighton - enforced our game plan, and made them change theres - good display.

12/13 - Wolves - we played great football, did really well - but in the end lucky to get a last minute goal and a point, should have had all 3 with 3/4 goal plus but soft underbelly really told.

13/14 - Yeovil - we played good football, and took our chances.. that was the difference.

12/13 - Watford - played to Watfords weaknesses and ended up with a comprehensive win, looked very positive and took our chances.

13/14 - Leicester/Burnley - looked off the pace, haven't took our chance - came unstuck against opposition game plans. 

So on the whole, we're better off IMO but only very slightly. 

5 games in at this point comparable to last seasons first 5 - we're 2 points better off, which tells IMO. 

I did have a think about this, but it's almost impossible to know without going through the games and marking performances down...etc (no stats on it) from what I remember (which is known to be dodgy)

12/13 - Sheffield Wednesday - fantastic start to the match, probably some of our best football all season, allowed a 2-0 goal lead slip as we buckled under the pressure.

13/14 - Blackburn Rovers - a slightly underwhelming start by all accounts with us being off the pace from the first minute, Rochina found a gap and was able to cause a lot of damage, got injured - we had 20/30 minutes of being the better side.

12/13 - Bolton - largely disappointing game, never looked in it - I did watch it via rams player mind, but we was domineered.

13/14 - Brighton - enforced our game plan, and made them change theres - good display.

12/13 - Wolves - we played great football, did really well - but in the end lucky to get a last minute goal and a point, should have had all 3 with 3/4 goal plus but soft underbelly really told.

13/14 - Yeovil - we played good football, and took our chances.. that was the difference.

12/13 - Watford - played to Watfords weaknesses and ended up with a comprehensive win, looked very positive and took our chances.

13/14 - Leicester/Burnley - looked off the pace, haven't took our chance - came unstuck against opposition game plans. 

So on the whole, we're better off IMO but only very slightly. 

5 games in at this point comparable to last seasons first 5 - we're 2 points better off, which tells IMO. 

It looks like its been very similar but imo, barring Yeovil, a much tougher start

I've posted this somewhere else as well, but if you take the corresponding fixtures from last season (with Huddersfield instead of Yeovil) we'd only be on 4 points...

Archived