Derby County v Brentford

Alph

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great match to watch from our point of view. Brentford were unbelievably poor, so much so we didn't have to get out of 2nd gear and still ran them ragged.

Ratings:

Grant 6 - Barely did anything, but did what he had to do well. Distribution was good.

Smith 7 - Very good performance. Didn't have too much defending to do but was fantastic going forward. Pacey and skilful.

Keogh & Buxton 7 - Hardly troubled but won the majority of headers and tackled when they needed to.

Forsyth 6 - Lack of pace was on show against their winger but always managed to get back and make the tackle. Seemed a bit last-ditch all the time though. Hoofs up the line continued.

Coutts 5 - Can't remember him doing anything really.

Eustace 6 - Did his job well. Made a few good tackles and kept everything moving. Not sure if it was his fault but there was often a lot of space for Brentford players to run towards our box. Could have done with them being closed down which I'm sure is what we bought him in for.

Bryson 8 - Absolute engine tonight. Immense going forward and linked up well with Martin and Sammon. Unlucky not to score at least one.

Hughes 6 - A little bit subdued but passing was, as usual, good. Did lose the ball a few times and occasionally looked a bit weak.

Martin 7 - Really solid. Drew the fouls when he needed to, used his strength effectively and scored 2 great goals.

Sammon 8 MOTM - Best I've seen Sammon play. First touch was greatly improved and he looked a constant threat. Also showed a lot of confidence in taking players on and, of course, scored twice. Brilliant performance from the fish.

Great match to watch from our point of view. Brentford were unbelievably poor, so much so we didn't have to get out of 2nd gear and still ran them ragged.

Ratings:

Grant 6 - Barely did anything, but did what he had to do well. Distribution was good.

Smith 7 - Very good performance. Didn't have too much defending to do but was fantastic going forward. Pacey and skilful.

Keogh & Buxton 7 - Hardly troubled but won the majority of headers and tackled when they needed to.

Forsyth 6 - Lack of pace was on show against their winger but always managed to get back and make the tackle. Seemed a bit last-ditch all the time though. Hoofs up the line continued.

Coutts 5 - Can't remember him doing anything really.

Eustace 6 - Did his job well. Made a few good tackles and kept everything moving. Not sure if it was his fault but there was often a lot of space for Brentford players to run towards our box. Could have done with them being closed down which I'm sure is what we bought him in for.

Bryson 8 - Absolute engine tonight. Immense going forward and linked up well with Martin and Sammon. Unlucky not to score at least one.

Hughes 6 - A little bit subdued but passing was, as usual, good. Did lose the ball a few times and occasionally looked a bit weak.

Martin 7 - Really solid. Drew the fouls when he needed to, used his strength effectively and scored 2 great goals.

Sammon 8 MOTM - Best I've seen Sammon play. First touch was greatly improved and he looked a constant threat. Also showed a lot of confidence in taking players on and, of course, scored twice. Brilliant performance from the fish.

thought Coutts deserved more than that and would swap MOM to Martin, other than that pretty agreeable

Surely Hughes deserves a 7 his finish was superb and so casual.

Smith looks a good player as well, better going forward than freeman and will be really pushing him now which is good.

They deserved getting battered with the side they put out.

I would have liked Bennett to get 30 mins in and not put on so late, 10 mins wasn't much and the match was over

I know Brentford want to get promotion etc but to make 10 changes and put out a reserve side was an insult to the travelling fans, who turned out in decent numbers for an evening game.

It was hard to say how good Derby were given the opposition was so poor; as well as scoring 5 we hit the post twice and had numerous other chances and close calls.

Still, an enjoyable night and good for the confidence.

thought Coutts deserved more than that and would swap MOM to Martin, other than that pretty agreeable

I must admit, it was a toss up between the strikers and Bryson for MOTM. I went with Sammon though because he surprised me the most. I kind of expected Martin to play well regardless.

I must admit, it was a toss up between the strikers and Bryson for MOTM. I went with Sammon though because he surprised me the most. I kind of expected Martin to play well regardless.

yeah agree with your thinking

I know Brentford want to get promotion etc but to make 10 changes and put out a reserve side was an insult to the travelling fans, who turned out in decent numbers for an evening game.

It was hard to say how good Derby were given the opposition was so poor; as well as scoring 5 we hit the post twice and had numerous other chances and close calls.

Still, an enjoyable night and good for the confidence.

Football is turning mental. Brentford giving up a chance of progressing in league cup and potential extra money to arguabley slightly increase their chances of getting promoted into a league where their only aim will be to avoid relegation. Hope they refund travel costs for their fans.

I really like the fact we play pretty much full teams in the cups. Not always with much success mind. It's an insult to fans when teams don't.

Football is turning mental. Brentford giving up a chance of progressing in league cup and potential extra money to arguabley slightly increase their chances of getting promoted into a league where their only aim will be to avoid relegation. Hope they refund travel costs for their fans.

I really like the fact we play pretty much full teams in the cups. Not always with much success mind. It's an insult to fans when teams don't.

Totally agree, can't understand why they clearly chose simply not to bother trying to win this tie. I wonder if the chairman was happy with the manager's selection. 

I would have thought a full strength Brentford might have fancied getting something out of today and then who knows what plum tie awaits?

They got what they deserved and I felt sorry for their supporters who made the effort to get here.

Not that I care that much of course, we're in the hat  :D

What a cracking game from us again, possibly the two most comfortable games I've ever seen us play in succession.

Was anybody sat anywhere near the top of the S/E corner? If so, did you also hear the bloke singing by himself to a tune I've never heard, go kick your nan in the tnuc (spelt backwards). What a lovely bloke he seemed...

"You can only beat what's in front of you" springs to mind, but that was one of the most one-sided games I've ever seen.

Sammon was immense,  my MoM. although can't really argue with Martin getting it.

Bring on Burnley.

Football is turning mental. Brentford giving up a chance of progressing in league cup and potential extra money to arguabley slightly increase their chances of getting promoted into a league where their only aim will be to avoid relegation. Hope they refund travel costs for their fans. I really like the fact we play pretty much full teams in the cups. Not always with much success mind. It's an insult to fans when teams don't.
The league cup doesn't generate real amounts of money unless you draw a big team at home. Prize money isn't paid until the final stages / weren't Bradford losing money by being in it until they reached the final. Winners only got100k and runners up 50k and losing semi finalists 25k last season - no other prize money at all Take tonight's match 10k attendance equals a maximum ticket revenue of 100k if they were all adults - take into account some are kids and concessions( season ticket discounts and 2 for 1) it is possible we lost money on tonight's game.

Just watched the goals.

Too easy for us.

The goals themselves had to be taken well but Brentford were a joke. Especially the 4th goal.

bbc 5 live Mark Chapman and Mike Phelan were praising Will Hughes and they were doing a young England player check up round the games. Obvs he was mentioned, hopefully not too much mind. Only 4 days left in the transfer window thankfully

Would like to see him against a decent left winger but impressed by smith tonight - very good on the ball.

Two forwards were very good - pleased for sammon, top bloke.

Hendrick was on crutches tonight, just a precaution hopefully.

Saying that, for the shape of the team, i really like eustace in there - would play him and sub coutts for ward on sat. Freeman/smith and russell/sammon are toss-ups.

Still abit unsure about jake and forsyth against better attacks.

Archived