playing to our strengths...

Mostyn6

I think the positive mentality, combined with the plan of playing on the front foot and probing the opposition is the most suitable way Derby should play.

Brighton are no easy opponent, make no mistake, we thoroughly deserved to beat them yesterday, and I think there were about 6 or 7 attempts to score made by Derby in the first half alone, and yes, away from home.

I will always say, when we have the positive players we have, that we should attack, not wrecklessly, but positively, with shape and structure, and waves of players, which is what we did yesterday.

I for one am praying we enter the Leicester game with the same mentality.

Well done Nigel, coaches and players, and fans who went. Please don't let this be a false dawn.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the positive mentality, combined with the plan of playing on the front foot and probing the opposition is the most suitable way Derby should play.

Brighton are no easy opponent, make no mistake, we thoroughly deserved to beat them yesterday, and I think there were about 6 or 7 attempts to score made by Derby in the first half alone, and yes, away from home.

I will always say, when we have the positive players we have, that we should attack, not wrecklessly, but positively, with shape and structure, and waves of players, which is what we did yesterday.

I for one am praying we enter the Leicester game with the same mentality.

Well done Nigel, coaches and players, and fans who went. Please don't let this be a false dawn.

Disagree entirely with your assessment of yesterdays game.

When were these 6 or 7 attempts in the first half? I'm pretty sure their keeper didnt make a save all game. You must call it an attempt every time we get in the oppositions box. 

Not putting on a downer on the performance, but it was an even game where we were clinical, it could have gone either way and in no way was it an out and out 'deserved' victory. 

The 4312 set us up to be solid, and that's what we were. As I said in the other thread, I was far more impressed with our first away game last season at Wolves where we created numerous clear cut chances and dominated possession far more. 

Pot shots from a long way out that are either blocked or go well wide are hardly praise worthy. 

I dont think the mentality or mindset away from home is any different from what it's been for Cloughs entire time here, that's really the point I'm making. The attacking options we've got is better hence we'll probably/hopefully see an improvement in away results, I just dont think it will be a big enough improvement. 

I agree Mostyn old boy, it's nice to sit down on a Sunday with us having won away from home having deserved the win, particularly coming from behind.

I think a little too much is made of tactics and formations on this forum, we have the players to beat anyone, I think where we've lacked away from home is a bit of belief and a more positive attitude. I think Clough was quoted after the game that they're trying to instil some belief into the players that they can go away and beat anyone. Long may this continue and we stick to our guns!

I think Uttox's thread about this being a different challenge for Clough has been evident in the way we've started this season, it's clear we have a hardworking honest set of players, I hope he can rise to the challenge and take them forward. It's early days but hopefully there's a growing sense of togetherness and belief around the place.

I dont know about 6 or 7 attempts but Bryson had the best chance of the half IMO, should be doing better.

In comparison with alot of away games last year we actually looked comfortable and capable of causing Brighton problems. Not absolutely inept and hopeless like so many times last year.

I dont know about 6 or 7 attempts but Bryson had the best chance of the half IMO, should be doing better.

In comparison with alot of away games last year we actually looked comfortable and capable of causing Brighton problems. Not absolutely inept and hopeless like so many times last year.

I agree with that

Keep banging on about our performance vs. Wolves last year... where are they now?

Yeah. But at the time it seemed a brilliant performance against a bunch of decent players.

Like yesterday, if Brighton finish near the bottom it won't look so good. But as we all expect Brighton to be sniffing out Play Off places we went there and matched them stride for stride.

I think we far more progress this season if we can win home and away that will be key to our league title since his dad did first at derby.

I just hope Nigel realises that winning games will be so important for us if we are going to win the league

I think knows this and he will win it for his mum and his dad. And when we do they shall be looking over proundly.

Glad he knows this. Was beginning to think that he thought we could draw our way to the title.

Archived