Penalties

Posh Ram

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

To be fair his Burnley penalty wasn't as bad as I first thought. It was near the post just at that 'nice height for a keeper'.

Just seen it, exactly the same spot as last time so maybe the goalie was prepared?

He could have followed it up if he had jumped

I would give penos to Martin, as Russell is more likely to score more in open play, and you need Martin's goal tally to keep ticking over to remove any pressure if he goes a while without scoring.

What, you are actually pontificating dropping a proven penalty taker in favour of trying to balance the goal tally around?

Do you manage a kids football team?

Quiet unreal!

What, you are actually pontificating dropping a proven penalty taker in favour of trying to balance the goal tally around?

Do you manage a kids football team?

Quiet unreal!

what's your problem now. Martin has the best technique of our attacking players. You do need to share the goals out to keep the overall confidence of your players up. What happens if Russell got it injured and his team-mates haven't scored for ages? Then they get a penalty. Sammon has already proven what a striker lacking in confidence does when under pressure.

What have kids football teams got to do with anything? Unless you are suggesting that current top-scorer and player of the month Chris Martin is the equivalent of the ***** kid who turns up but is pretty rubbish, in which case, you're the one that's 'unreal' trying to make issues with my post and forgetting that these are professional footballers.

what's your problem now. Martin has the best technique of our attacking players. You do need to share the goals out to keep the overall confidence of your players up. What happens if Russell got it injured and his team-mates haven't scored for ages? Then they get a penalty. Sammon has already proven what a striker lacking in confidence does when under pressure.

What have kids football teams got to do with anything? Unless you are suggesting that current top-scorer and player of the month Chris Martin is the equivalent of the ***** kid who turns up but is pretty rubbish, in which case, you're the one that's 'unreal' trying to make issues with my post and forgetting that these are professional footballers.

I think maybe, this is flying over your head mostyn6.

I'll try another angle.

Lampard regularly takes penalties for Chelsea beacuse he scores frequently. Did Benitez, Di Matto or Murinho say to him , oh Torres is going through a barren spell, let him take the next penalty?

The answer is obviously no!

The sentimental and romatic notion that you rotate your strikers could only be iterated by somebody with no football guile or tactical knowledge. And you have the audacity to criticise Clough!

On that matter, you are symptomatic of the majority of Clough's critics on here, and my apologies for this, but you do not know what you are talking about. As such, your opinions are worthless.

Sorry, but some of the knee jerk nonsense on here rubs me up the wrong way.

Pearson

I think maybe, this is flying over your head mostyn6.

I'll try another angle.

Lampard regularly takes penalties for Chelsea beacuse he scores frequently. Did Benitez, Di Matto or Murinho say to him , oh Torres is going through a barren spell, let him take the next penalty?

The answer is obviously no!

The sentimental and romatic notion that you rotate your strikers could only be iterated by somebody with no football guile or tactical knowledge. And you have the audacity to criticise Clough!

On that matter, you are symptomatic of the majority of Clough's critics on here, and my apologies for this, but you do not know what you are talking about. As such, your opinions are worthless.

Sorry, but some of the knee jerk nonsense on here rubs me up the wrong way.

Pearson

get a grip Pearson. Martin is one of the most technically gifted strikers of a ball at the club. I'd give him penalties because a) he's capable and b) (as per my original statement) Russell is more likely to score in open play.

This is not sentimental, more sensible, knowing how Derby fans can turn on players and how some people are incapable of seeing the quality in a player, (I was one of about 5 on here who rated Martin 6 months ago, and was in the minority by a long way), had he not been troubling the scoring charts, ignorant fans would be booing his every touch.

As for you..meh... I don't even recognise your name as a poster, so couldn't care less what you think of me personally.

get a grip Pearson. Martin is one of the most technically gifted strikers of a ball at the club. I'd give him penalties because a) he's capable and b) (as per my original statement) Russell is more likely to score in open play.

This is not sentimental, more sensible, knowing how Derby fans can turn on players and how some people are incapable of seeing the quality in a player, (I was one of about 5 on here who rated Martin 6 months ago, and was in the minority by a long way), had he not been troubling the scoring charts, ignorant fans would be booing his every touch.

As for you..meh... I don't even recognise your name as a poster, so couldn't care less what you think of me personally.

Martin is one of the most technically gifted strikers of a ball at the club. I'd give him penalties because a) he's capable

If you think Martin should be taking the penalties then you make a good case with the above statement.

The rest, i'm afraid is , imho, tosh of the highest order. Pearson nailed it, you don't rotate your pen takers to suit someone who isn't scoring - unless you're 5 up late on!

Martin is one of the most technically gifted strikers of a ball at the club. I'd give him penalties because a) he's capable

If you think Martin should be taking the penalties then you make a good case with the above statement.

The rest, i'm afraid is , imho, tosh of the highest order. Pearson nailed it, you don't rotate your pen takers to suit someone who isn't scoring - unless you're 5 up late on!

huh? I never mentioned anything about rotating anything, my actual comment was "I would give penos to Martin, as Russell is more likely to score more in open play, and you need Martin's goal tally to keep ticking over to remove any pressure if he goes a while without scoring.".

You can attempt to read into that whatever you will, but there was nothing sentimental there. It's a team game and your team is only as good as it's weakest link.

As it happens, I'm wrong about who would score more in open play, but I'd still give Martin pens!

I wouldn't like Bryson taking penalties, he has a sometimes bizarre kicking technique. 

As I haven't seen Russell live, I'd say that Martin looks to have the best technique for penalties, maybe Forsyth too.

I would give penos to Martin, as Russell is more likely to score more in open play, and you need Martin's goal tally to keep ticking over to remove any pressure if he goes a while without scoring.

I get that Martin may well be a better pen taker....thats a fair point to discuss. Your point though was to give him the job for other reasons than he may be good at it. 

Whichever way you try to spin it, it just dunna make sense!

well, if people read the full thread, they'd spot I was in a debate, and the post you're getting pissy about was my second statement!!

Archived