No new CB

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh ffs..........you moaning gets.

On the contrary, I think we have the makings of a very good Championship side with the likes of Grant, Keogh, Brayford, Hendrick, Bryson, Hughes, Ward and Russell getting in most sides, with the likes of Sammon, Coutts, Forsyth and Jacobs being ok. I just think the centre back we were promised would finish of that side as a top 6 outfit. It is disappointment at not making the final step for me, rather than moaning.

Buxton is no more than a squad player who should make the bench if one of our first choice centre backs were injured. Not a first choice starter.

I don't get why Jake is lamented by some fans, still. 

I don't see a massive difference in quality between Keogh or Buxton, truth be told. I am not worried about them starting the season, nor about their quality of competing in this division. I don't think either are 'world-beaters' and both have obvious faults to their game - but, so does every centre half in this division. 

I am disappointed at no centre back coming in, but not because of the keogh and buxton partnership - but more of a case of who will fill in when one takes a knock, but saying that we're well stocked in that position - perhaps Val or Hanson will be a dark horse this season? 

I personally think it is because of the way Clough comes out early saying player x, y and z can leave the club. Hardly puts us in a decent selling position of strength.

More likely it is because we generally take a shot on a player that isn't particularly wanted in the first place (i.e. Theo, Naylor, O'Connor, etc). That kind of signing is good when it pays off, but if they after a year or so find themselves on the transfer list, there is never going to be a huge lineup for them. We're not trying to offload top notch players at this level, they didn't come in with huge reputations, we're trying to offload players that in many cases our own supports complained about their signing.

I feel no one would complain about Buxton if he had signed him from another Championship club. How many goals were conceded as a direct consequence of Buxton being at CB? And how many points did his goals win us last season?

The management have a lot of faith in Jake.  They see how committed he is, that he has a good personality around the dressing room and he has never let them down.  He has worked harder than anyone at improving his game and continues to want to learn.  In fairness he can actually play a bit too so I think some of the comments aimed at him are grossly unfair.

The management have a lot of faith in Jake. They see how committed he is, that he has a good personality around the dressing room and he has never let them down. He has worked harder than anyone at improving his game and continues to want to learn. In fairness he can actually play a bit too so I think some of the comments aimed at him are grossly unfair.

I would personally say the criticism is not just unfair but also very wide of the mark based on his performances last season, and I will hold my hands up and admit I thought he wouldn't make it at this level.

For the people who don't rate Buxton...what do you think he does so badly compared to Keogh?

I have nothing against Buxton, who is a committed trier. He does his best to get everything in the air and is competitive on the ground. However, he is rather one-dimensional and skilful runners will always have the slip on him. He is also not unbeatable in the air and we conceded too much in that area last season. Keogh is a great intercepter but I don't think he is physically strong enough. Neither of them commands our area and the back four. That's why I think we need a new CB. We need a shouter who is dominant in the air. That's why Dunne would have been so good,

I would personally say the criticism is not just unfair but also very wide of the mark based on his performances last season, and I will hold my hands up and admit I thought he wouldn't make it at this level.

For the people who don't rate Buxton...what do you think he does so badly compared to Keogh?

I imagine it's the physical side of the game in that he's not as athletic or pacey as Keogh. Maybe the fact that Keogh's tackles are usually better timed than Jake's too.

In terms of overall defending, however, he was just as good as Keogh last season in my opinion. I think a lot of people on here say this whole "we're not finishing top 6 if Jake is first choice" because other people are. It's unsubstantiated otherwise.

You can guarantee another championship club would have Bucko. I think he is good enough to be our number one choice with Keogh this season.

If a better player comes on loan from a premier league side fantastic, if not I still think we are top 6 contenders.

I imagine it's the physical side of the game in that he's not as athletic or pacey as Keogh. Maybe the fact that Keogh's tackles are usually better timed than Jake's too.

In terms of overall defending, however, he was just as good as Keogh last season in my opinion. I think a lot of people on here say this whole "we're not finishing top 6 if Jake is first choice" because other people are. It's unsubstantiated otherwise.

I think Keogh cost us quite a few goals last season, either through poor positioning or losing his headers.

Don't think Jake is brilliant or anything but thought he was the better of our central defenders last season. His lack of pace can let him down at times but not much more that he can.be faulted on in my opinion.

I think Keogh cost us quite a few goals last season, either through poor positioning or losing his headers.

Don't think Jake is brilliant or anything but thought he was the better of our central defenders last season. His lack of pace can let him down at times but not much more that he can.be faulted on in my opinion.

Exactly. Keogh certainly cost us more points than Bucko last season, no-one can argue against that.

In my opinion, they're both very solid Championship centre backs. I will also say that they seem to compliment each other, in that what one of them is weak at, it's a strength for the other. Keogh's a better tackler, interceptor and athlete, whereas Buxton provides the muscle, positional sense and aerial ability. They both seem to be able to cover each other's mistakes. And, of course, both of them are a threat in the opposition's penalty area too.

Exactly. Keogh certainly cost us more points than Bucko last season, no-one can argue against that.

In my opinion, they're both very solid Championship centre backs. I will also say that they seem to compliment each other, in that what one of them is weak at, it's a strength for the other. Keogh's a better tackler, interceptor and athlete, whereas Buxton provides the muscle, positional sense and aerial ability. They both seem to be able to cover each other's mistakes. And, of course, both of them are a threat in the opposition's penalty area too.

Agree with this assessment

I personally think it is because of the way Clough comes out early saying player x, y and z can leave the club. Hardly puts us in a decent selling position of strength.

Translation:

BCO

Archived