Depression and suicide: Football's secret uncovered

jimbobram

There is a documentary on tonight presented by Clarke Carlisle about depression and suicide in football. It looks like its more common that people realise. I didn't even realise that Lee Hendrie tried to take his own life.

I think this just shows that having all the luxuries in life still isn't guaranteed to make you happy.  

BBC 3 9PM tonight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23226524

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be suicidal every time I thought about the 50 grand a week coming into my bank account. 

Why do people associate money with happiness?

If you lost all your friends and family, would you be sad about it? Then if someone said "you can have your friends and family back, or you can have unlimited money", what would you pick?

As someone who suffers depression, albeit without wealth, I can hand on heart say that when wanting to dig myself out of the rut I am in, never once do I think loads of cash would make me feel better.

Why do people associate money with happiness?

If you lost all your friends and family, would you be sad about it? Then if someone said "you can have your friends and family back, or you can have unlimited money", what would you pick?

As someone who suffers depression, albeit without wealth, I can hand on heart say that when wanting to dig myself out of the rut I am in, never once do I think loads of cash would make me feel better.

Do you have adequate treatment and help ?

Is true...can buy you the best Harley Street shrink

That's true - but what can they do with their posh sofas and sash windows that the local NHS can't except charge the earth? There are some great doctors.

But, you have to want to get better, for yourself. That's the bottom line for me.

I didn't even realise that Lee Hendrie tried to take his own life.

Yep, I read an article about him, apparently all of the money he made through football he lost through bad investments and peed the rest up the wall then ended up playing for Tamworth Rovers so can semi understand where he was coming from

You can say they look happy when there on the tv. there hiding there feelings. Look at Gary Speed, was on tv...next day he hung himself.

Even now, that sends a shiver down my spine

I remember watching him on Football Focus that Sat afternoon - seemed totally normal, usual chit chat on the sofa - he was doing a fantastic job as Wales team manager too, they'd started winning games on a regular basis, had played England off the park a few weeks earlier...

And then he does that. So so sad.

Even now, that sends a shiver down my spine

I remember watching him on Football Focus that Sat afternoon - seemed totally normal, usual chit chat on the sofa - he was doing a fantastic job as Wales team manager too, they'd started winning games on a regular basis, had played England off the park a few weeks earlier...

And then he does that. So so sad.

It is sad. I cant imagine being in that situation where you feel the need to take your own life. Outsiders like us would think he has a great life, doing well as manager, had a great career, money, family, popular man. But there's something in peoples head that is so bad that they need to do it.

I think that these youth players who are at clubs since they are 6,7,8 years old and then get released at 16 17 have got to have help because football is there life. Then suddenly it stops. That would hurt me.

Life is a gift.. It's so sad when people throw it away when the going gets tough

People should also live outside of their little bubble.. See what the world is really about.. People would stop being so depressed if they get to see first hand people far worse off than they are..

I could never be depressed, especially when I've seen how 3rd world people live..

It is sad. I cant imagine being in that situation where you feel the need to take your own life. Outsiders like us would think he has a great life, doing well as manager, had a great career, money, family, popular man. But there's something in peoples head that is so bad that they need to do it.

I think that these youth players who are at clubs since they are 6,7,8 years old and then get released at 16 17 have got to have help because football is there life. Then suddenly it stops. That would hurt me.

I suppose that's the hardest thing to understand about it. But I'm guessing that unless you have that condition, you can't explain why you feel a certain way - the human mind/personality is truly a complex thing.

Football's rag to riches culture is scary though - you're right about the youth team players getting released but the dip must be even more extreme when you've tasted immediate success. Someone like Will Hughes for instance - a year ago, he'd just made his debut, a couple of folk remarked he looked a decent player. Less than 9 months later, the whole Premiership wants to sign him - Barcelona have got a dossier on him!! What does that do to a young mind?!

Great programme though - the bit when Clarke Carlisle is in the park reliving his thought processes before trying to kill himself was particularly poignant. Powerful stuff.

My other half's nephew who's 11 has been on Cardiff City's books since he was about 7, and now Swansea are trying to get him to go there.

It's all he seems to do is train and play.

He has already broke his leg 2 years ago.

I can see this going terribly wrong if he don't make it.

Not suicidal, but not knowing what else is out there.

Archived