Depression and suicide: Football's secret uncovered

jimbobram

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suicide a the worst thing in life not only for the person who kills themselves but also for the people who they leave behind , depression is a illness that needs treatment ,, 2 years ago my wifes friend had a baby ,, suffered postnatal depression for months after ,, she didnt get help then she decided to walk on top of a block of flats and jump with her 6 month old baby in hand ,, months after i found the dad with a bag over his head who had gassed himself because of what had happened , this is a subject very very close to my heart and it doesnt matter what background you come from or how much you have in your bank account ,, depression and suicide effects everyone ,, life is a precious gift , i spent 6 years travelling the world and have seen some states that would make people think their life isnt so bad but as its all the mind ,, its a mental illness , footballers , doctors ,, Tesco cashiers the unemployed ,, Depression reaches everyone at some stage but its how you deal with it and who you talk to that is the difference

That's true - but what can they do with their posh sofas and sash windows that the local NHS can't except charge the earth? There are some great doctors.

But, you have to want to get better, for yourself. That's the bottom line for me.

Depression is usually a chemical imbalance in the brain. Wanting it to go away is not really feasible. Treatment and understanding are required. Just as a broken leg needs a splint & plaster a broken mind needs treatment. It just isn't as visible to others as something physical.

Depression is usually a chemical imbalance in the brain. Wanting it to go away is not really feasible. Treatment and understanding are required. Just as a broken leg needs a splint & plaster a broken mind needs treatment. It just isn't as visible to others as something physical.

Wanting it to go away helped me when I went through it. It helped me to think about things differently, so I guess each person is different. Prozac didn't help either, that turned me into a zombie, so I took myself off them.

Ramexpat, I'd give your post a like but it's not the right word, if you see what I mean?

So tragic that :-(

I reached what I thought was rock bottom 13 years ago and went for a walk. I'm saying no more.

You don't have to say anything more Eddie, you came through it, that's the main thing :-)

Wanting it to go away helped me when I went through it. It helped me to think about things differently, so I guess each person is different. Prozac didn't help either, that turned me into a zombie, so I took myself off them.

I'm sure what ever helps, helps. Clinical depression though needs medication. Prozac is just one of many. Doctors will change the medication depending on the individuals reaction.

"It is vulgarly imagined that to have money is to have no troubles at all" - H.G.Wells (I think)

I have two immediate family members who have suffered from severe depression and so it's not a subject I take lightly.
As much as it seems to anyone who has a "normal" or stable mental balance that there is no reason to be depressed, some people just suffer from it the same as any other illness.
I know when I mentioned about my family about to a friend of mine and he said something along the lines of "why don't they just have a good night out and cheer up" I had to fight the urge to smack him in the face. There is a big misunderstanding regarding this kind of mental difficulty and if this program has helped to bring to the fore the fact that it an affect anyone then that's a good thing.
Haven't had a chance to watch but I hope to soon.

Yep, I read an article about him, apparently all of the money he made through football he lost through bad investments and peed the rest up the wall then ended up playing for Tamworth Rovers so can semi understand where he was coming from

Ah, so Lee Hendrie was allowed to have clinical depression was he, but other professional footballers aren't because they own loads of money?

Do you know what depression is? It's not a modern term for feeling sorry for yourself. It's much deeper and more complex than that.

There's a lot of mums on anti depressants when you ask around.

Going back a bit now, almost 15 years but divorce didn't help much.

I'm sure Prozac had a following in the 90's.

Surprised Paul Jewells wasn't on about his disastrous sin here, his "Rampant" front page headlines , players jumping out of windows, his poor record since leaving Wigan and ending up on soccer Saturday - playing second fiddle to Paul Merson.

Feel for the bloke, that's enough to make anyone depressed.

Ah, so Lee Hendrie was allowed to have clinical depression was he, but other professional footballers aren't because they own loads of money?

Do you know what depression is? It's not a modern term for feeling sorry for yourself. It's much deeper and more complex than that.

Why centre the programme around footballers and not airline pilots or accountants or horse racing jockeys, or why not make a programme specifically about depression. Do I know what depression is, unsure of whether that was a rhetorical question posed by yourself, I do however know patronisation when I read it for the avoidance of any doubt.

Why centre the programme around footballers and not airline pilots or accountants or horse racing jockeys, or why not make a programme specifically about depression. Do I know what depression is, unsure of whether that was a rhetorical question posed by yourself, I do however know patronisation when I read it for the avoidance of any doubt.

Why not Mensans?

I bet Paul Mersons on there talking about his bloody demons again.

He always looks bloody happy when he's fookin screaming "oh! Yes! Gooooal!" On sky.

Paul Merson is the epitome of a manic depressive, he's up or he's down. Doing the things he loves, with the people he likes, look at him go. When he's not doing that, he's looking for something to make him feel the same as when he's watching the football with the lads.

Paul Merson is the epitome of a manic depressive, he's up or he's down. Doing the things he loves, with the people he likes, look at him go. When he's not doing that, he's looking for something to make him feel the same as when he's watching the football with the lads.

yes,,fair point.

Archived