Cyrus Christie

admira

Ipswich Town, Huddersfield, Barnsley and Derby are all reported to be showing interest in Coventry City right-back Cyrus Christie. The 20-year-old is still in contract with the League One club, who are in the process of exiting administration.

Christie came through the youth system at his hometown club and established himself in their first team in the 2011/12 season, following loan spells at Blue Square Bet North sides Nuneaton and Hinckley during the previous campaign.

A nephew of former boxers Errol and Lloyd Christie, the 6ft 2in tall defender has made 66 starts and 13 sub appearances for the Sky Blues, scoring three goals.

With Richard Stearman having returned to parent club Wolves at the end of the season, Town are in need of another right-back to compete with Elliott Hewitt, although a Bosman signing – such as former Blackpool man Kirk Broadfoot or ex-Southend defender Sean Clohessy – would appear more likely than a deal where a fee would be involved.

However, Blues boss Mick McCarthy is likely to have seen a fair bit of Christie having watched Coventry regularly last season while weighing up a move for striker David McGoldrick during his spell on loan with the Sky Blues.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/23147

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know much about him. Is he the kind of defender who is more of a centrehalf played at fullback (like Shaun Barker before Blackpool for example) or an actual fullback. If he's a defender we'd look to bring in to play at centrehalf I could see the point of this signing, otherwise I don't see this going anywhere.

Anyone know much about him. Is he the kind of defender who is more of a centrehalf played at fullback (like Shaun Barker before Blackpool for example) or an actual fullback. If he's a defender we'd look to bring in to play at centrehalf I could see the point of this signing, otherwise I don't see this going anywhere.

Not seen enough of him to comment really, just I remember him looking quite good on the ball for his height. Last time we played Cov he made a couple of good runs down the flanks.

No... Not only has Clough stated that Freeman would replace Brayford, but signing this kid to play second fiddle to Freeman doesn't make even the slightest bit of sense.

Cyrus Christie

Championship appearances: 37

Football league appearances: 68

Free or nominal transfer: No

Kieron Freeman

Championship appearances: 19

Football league appearances: 38

Free or nominal transfer: yes

If we were to sign this lad it would cost us a fee and it would be a significant transfer. If he were to be signed as a rightback, he would surely have to be above Freeman in the pecking order, which contradicts what we've already been told. As such we're either looking at him as a centrehalf, or we're not going to sign him.

Wouldnt surprise me if we did look at him if Brayford leaves. With only Freeman as the only recognised right back ad Gjokaj as cover it would be a weak position.

Hopefully Clough is looking at him to play centre back and as someone else has said, if he's good on the ball he could be a good 'ball playing' centre back which we all know Clough loves.

Archived