Nigel Clough v Billy Davies debate, tactics etc..

Red_Dawn

I thought we played quite good football last season.................

But it started slipping at the same point as the other seasons. There could be several reasons or just one..

Small squad was overused.

Will Hughes tired/injured and he inspires the team to play on the floor

Brayford/Coutts partnership broken by injury

Bryson injured/dip in form upon return

Ward injuries

Nigel's tighter more restrictive tactics as towards end of the season the points start to become vital.

Take your pick really. We certainly haven't got depth to allow for rests or injuries.

If Derby first team played our second 11 I think the difference would be huge. I'm not talking in training but I'm a competitive match.

Fielding

Freeman

OB

O'Connor

Hoganson

Bavies

? You can have Hendrick or Bryson

?

Jacobs

Robinson

Tyson

That would finish low.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

since when did fans care what happened behind the scenes? Be all and end all is you pay to watch two teams play football.

I want stability to ensure that my team to still be here in the future. 

since when did fans care what happened behind the scenes? Be all and end all is you pay to watch two teams play football.

Since forever, i support the club and want see it it doing well at all levels on and off the pitch. Of course the first team is critical to this but it's all interlinked. I think our last dalliance with top flight shows that promotion is meaningless unless it's underpinned by a decent club structure hence why i'm happy we're building slowly but surely...

Since forever, i support the club and want see it it doing well at all levels on and off the pitch. Of course the first team is critical to this but it's all interlinked. I think our last dalliance with top flight shows that promotion is meaningless unless it's underpinned by a decent club structure hence why i'm happy we're building slowly but surely...

There was nothing wrong with the club structure when we got promoted, 2 different managers contrived to pee vast sums of money on transfers and wages up the wall on abysmal players

I want stability to ensure that my team to still be here in the future. 

Smacks of hypocrisy though. Someone like yourself, who constantly mentions the greatness he witnessed during the late 60s and early 70s, was more than happy back then, even though the people running the club were done for financial irregularities. 

Transparency is a good thing, but I don't think it's fare to make more of it whilst ignoring the previous 'dodgy' stuff.

Smacks of hypocrisy though. Someone like yourself, who constantly mentions the greatness he witnessed during the late 60s and early 70s, was more than happy back then, even though the people running the club were done for financial irregularities. 

Transparency is a good thing, but I don't think it's fare to make more of it whilst ignoring the previous 'dodgy' stuff.

I'm sorry Mostyn, but on this issue you haven't got much of a clue what you are talking about. The 'financial irregularities' issue you are rambling on about, I presume, was the £500 a week to Dave Mackay for 'writing programme notes', yes? The £500 a week that saw us actually banned from Europe for a year? I was furious at the time, and if I think back, it still makes me angry. It was stupid of the club, but in the big scheme of things, it wasn't that significant.

What happened a dozen years after that was far, far more important as far as I was concerned, and anyone who lived through that would never make light of the situation now, and wouldn't want want to go through it again.

Glued to the radio, listening to reports about the winding-up order coming from the High Court, not knowing whether there is even going to be a Derby County in about five minutes time - don't you accuse me of hypocrisy, Mostyn, when you are talking about something that probably happened before you were born. I am totally consistent in my beliefs and actions on the way football clubs should be run.

Edit:

You know, if we had actually gone out of business then, I would have gladly swapped two league championships for my club back again.

If Billy Davies stayed with a club for as long as Nigel has been at Derby, he would probably take them to the brink of extinction. He is great at motivating a bunch of poor players to play above their ability - potentially one of the best around currently - but this only works for a limited time as proven at Derby and down the A52. That coupled with the fact that his loathsome character means that as soon as his initial honeymoon period is over he starts alienating everyone at the club is the reason that when he left the Red Dogs for the first time, no club when anywhere near him - Not even Scotland, for christs sake - until the Red Dogs had been through that many managers that he was the only option last season.

The facts are;

The length of time he stayed out of work after his last two jobs despite his record at Championship level indicates serious issues.

His record in the transfer market is poor, at best. His January signings in our promotion season were woeful and almost cost us promotion, then his pre Premiership signings wouldn't have been good enough for a Championship survival season.

There was nothing wrong with the club structure when we got promoted, 2 different managers contrived to pee vast sums of money on transfers and wages up the wall on abysmal players

Someone allowed them to spunk all that money on inconceivably bad players without the forethought of what happens next. That would tend to suggest that the structure wasn't robust enough to act as a check on such terrible financial management. The academy and reserve set-up was all but ignored and we went through a few owners in a fairly short space of time - strikes me that looks like a pretty poor structure underpinned by not very much of substance as i said.

I'm asking as can't remember but what did Billy's Preston side do the season after he left? I think if jewell had kept more of billys players like David jones, Howard even Darren Moore we would have been better equipped for a season in the champ than then team he built.

The core players of Mears, Jones, Oakley, Howard, Moore, Leacock, Barnes, Miller, Earnshaw all were handy enough for a side pushing for promotion from the NPC..

But some t!t managed to completely break that up and replace them with worse players..

The core players of Mears, Jones, Oakley, Howard, Moore, Leacock, Barnes, Miller, Earnshaw all were handy enough for a side pushing for promotion from the NPC..

But some t!t managed to completely break that up and replace them with worse players..

I hate it when I agree with you.

Jewell did that by arriving at the club and telling the Media how rubbish all the players were. Oakley and Howard knew it was going to get embarrassing and they wanted out as soon as possible.

Jewell did that by arriving at the club and telling the Media how rubbish all the players were. Oakley and Howard knew it was going to get embarrassing and they wanted out as soon as possible.

BillyD was saying that as soon as the playoff final finished.

Clough over Billy any day.

As people have already said, Billy is Ok for the short term motivation of average players.

But if you want someone to build a lasting team spirit then Clough is the man.

I also don't believe that poor away performances necessarily mean we were negative - just that we were poor.

Someone allowed them to spunk all that money on inconceivably bad players without the forethought of what happens next. That would tend to suggest that the structure wasn't robust enough to act as a check on such terrible financial management. The academy and reserve set-up was all but ignored and we went through a few owners in a fairly short space of time - strikes me that looks like a pretty poor structure underpinned by not very much of substance as i said.

Nope. It's the managers job to provide judgement on whether a player is good enough, whether they are value for money, not the boards. The board I hope in this instance did not sanction the outlay of huge sums of cash knowing the players being bought would be sub standard. 

Archived