Wimbledon 2013

Day

I'm not unsubscribing you or anybody Eddie, I'm just letting you and everybody know the forum rules on wumming.

Enjoying the tennis?

Am I allowed to say "Yes, I enjoyed watching the BRITISH Wimbledon champion"?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well played Murray. Can't deny he's a good player. It's very competitive at the moment too. 3 other blokes who have utterly dominated everyone else he's perhaps unlucky not to have won more. Seems like a bit of a golden generation.

Was frustrated with the amount of unforced errors from Djokovic. Thought he was better than getting rattled like that. Losing serves and unforced errors... could have played so much better.

It wasn't close in the end though. Thought it looked pretty easy for Murray.

He was just brilliant today. What's not to like about him. He's even surpassed Jake Buxton now in sporting achievements lol. For the record I like Jake.

I'll not ban you in case your pi$$ed.

No one, dead or alive, will ever match Jake's achievements.

ever.

I think Murray is as good as Djoko.. Or he can be..

But I have more respect for Djoko as he's beaten two of the other 3 in the same tournament.. Murray is the only one of the 4 that hasn't done that yet in the past 3 or 4 years, so I don't see his US and possible Wimbledon titles as impressive as the others..

He has a great life though.. Tennis a tough sport, you have to have a good background and money to play the game..

I think of all the sports it's the most rewarding.. The money can be phenomenal and you don't have to even be a top 20 player to have a life that so many envy... I'd love to be just a top 150 player, earning thousands (possibly millions for overall earnings plus sponsors) and travelling the world like the other guys do..

I mean look at Grigor Dimitrov.. The guy is 22 years old, ranked 30th odd in the world, never made it past the 3rd round at a major, he's already won over £1.5mill in prize money, he's dating Maria Sharapova and he's seen more of the world that 99% of the worlds population.. What's not to envy?

Or an even better example..

Go Soeda.. 28 years old.. Ranked 129 in the world. I doubt anyone on here has heard of him.  The guy has never been past the 2nd round of a major, In fact he's only ever qualified for 11 majors since 2007. The guy has earned from prize money over £750,000.. Throw in sponsors and other stuff he's probably over £800,000 for his career.. Given he's 28, he's basically been earning £100,000 a year for the past 8 years, he'll have another 4 or 5 years left in him and he's been able to travel the world and must be so comfortable for money.. What's not to envy? And he's not even a top player.

What is there to envy?

If he is earned prize money of "£750,000"  then there is nothing to envy about his lifestyle.

On the contrary, when you take out all of his costs which for a tennis player are vast (hotel bills, flights, coaching fees etc) then I would think that figure would be at best cut in half. I would say his net winnings from £750,000 would likely be around £200,000~£300,000. Spread that over 6 years and suddenly he has a very average salary and a short term one at that.

Players outside of the top 50 struggle to make a living. They really do! Don't be fooled by the prize money amounts.

It wasn't so long ago that tennis players were taking of striking because of the schedule and prize money not being allocated to the lower ranked players as they were struggling to make a living.

It's the same in many sports. It's great for those at the top but life isn't so rosy for the lower ranked players.

What is there to envy?

If he is earned prize money of "£750,000"  then there is nothing to envy about his lifestyle.

On the contrary, when you take out all of his costs which for a tennis player are vast (hotel bills, flights, coaching fees etc) then I would think that figure would be at best cut in half. I would say his net winnings from £750,000 would likely be around £200,000~£300,000. Spread that over 6 years and suddenly he has a very average salary and a short term one at that.

Players outside of the top 50 struggle to make a living. They really do! Don't be fooled by the prize money amounts.

It wasn't so long ago that tennis players were taking of striking because of the schedule and prize money not being allocated to the lower ranked players as they were struggling to make a living.

It's the same in many sports. It's great for those at the top but life isn't so rosy for the lower ranked players.

Go Soeda has actually earned little in comparison to those others around that mark.. I looked up a few and the majority have earned over $1mill prize money..

And what do you mean, what is there to envy? Erm, for me personally, travelling the world, having fame, having many fans and earning a hell of a lot more than your average guy in the steet..

Even if he has a net winnings of $300k after all the expenses.. Over 6 years that's $50k a year plus he's seen the world.. They go everywhere, completely tour South America, North America, Europe, Asia, Oceania, The Middle East.. Are you seriously saying you wouldn't want to visit 20 countries a year, have a beautiful wife and fame and make around $50k a year profit?

Go Soeda has actually earned little in comparison to those others around that mark.. I looked up a few and the majority have earned over £1mill prize money..

And what do you mean, what is there to envy? Erm, for me personally, travelling the world, having fame, having many fans and earning a hell of a lot more than your average guy in the steet..

Even if he has a net winnings of £300k after all the expenses.. Over 6 years that's £50k a year plus he's seen the world.. They go everywhere, completely tour South America, North America, Europe, Asia, Oceania, The Middle East.. Are you seriously saying you wouldn't want to visit 20 countries a year, have a beautiful wife and fame and make around £50k a year profit?

I don't do so badly mate. I visit 4~5 countries a year, have a beautiful wife and make around 60k a year net.

You also have to factor in the fact that tennis players have a short career. A very short career.

It's finsihed..? really?...who won?

The old washed-out Swiss guy (who has incidentally got a losing career record against Murray) didn't. He was on a flight home more than a week ago.

Is Wimbledon over now? Oh good. Such an elitist, upper middle class past time  -  I heard a guy on the radio yesterday complain that he lives in Wimbledon and it costs him £9 an hour for his son to play tennis on the local court. Move somewhere cheaper, its not like your short of a penny or two if you can afford to live in Wimbledon. Seven eights of the crowd watching Murray in the final must have been on ligger tickets or freebies. Get real.

People living near Wimbledon make a killing over Wimbledon fortnight, it can make them a fair few thousand when a minted player wants to rent it.

Archived