Wimbledon 2013

Day

Jocks want to be british when they lose, but as soon as success comes their way they are scots. And lets not forget the Croatian shirt he wore in the world cup. He cant be that patriotic to be british if he would rather wear that could he :D

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind him being proud to be Scottish. Good on him.

It's the injury stuff that does it for me. Same with football, I like players based on behaviour and ability rather than their agenda etc.

Mario Balotelli hasn't said a single nice thing about England since signing for Milan. Why should he? He's Italian. But he's quite likeable now. Passionate, hard working and has knuckled down.

I'd like Murray if I hadn't watched him last year hold his back after every point lost but then cover every inch of the court. No such injury problems when he was winning games either. Very selective injury.

You have to say though, he shouldn't feel the need to please Britain. Would you care about Scot support if you were playing? You'd consider yourself a proud Englishman first. Scot support would be welcome. But you'd surely expect some stick from them. Like Murray must

Jocks want to be british when they lose, but as soon as success comes their way they are scots. And lets not forget the Croatian shirt he wore in the world cup. He cant be that patriotic to be british if he would rather wear that could he :D

Where did you come up with the idea of Murray wearing a Croatia shirt? The original 'story' was about a bloody Paraguay shirt, not a Croatia one. It has also been reported on the internet that he wore a German shirt. Well, he does - Adidas.

The tabloid story was completely fictitious, yet still people believe it - presumably because they want to.

I don't mind him being proud to be Scottish. Good on him.

It's the injury stuff that does it for me. Same with football, I like players based on behaviour and ability rather than their agenda etc.

Mario Balotelli hasn't said a single nice thing about England since signing for Milan. Why should he? He's Italian. But he's quite likeable now. Passionate, hard working and has knuckled down.

I'd like Murray if I hadn't watched him last year hold his back after every point lost but then cover every inch of the court. No such injury problems when he was winning games either. Very selective injury.

You have to say though, he shouldn't feel the need to please Britain. Would you care about Scot support if you were playing? You'd consider yourself a proud Englishman first. Scot support would be welcome. But you'd surely expect some stick from them. Like Murray must

Did you support Murray in the Olympics? What about Sir Chris Hoy? What about Heather Stanning? Katherine Grainger? Scott Brash? Timothy Baillie?

Keep ya hair on pal, it was tongue in cheek. I love the jocks, my best mates a jock and I have a Scotland flag fridge magnet.

Why say Croatia though? If you had said Paraguay, I could have understood it and just put you down as an internet n00b. Even better, someone who had been inside for 7 years.

I'm really trying to be on my best forum behaviour here.

Regarding Murray 'holding his back', I wonder what Alpha Signia's thoughts are of the following players this year....

Philipp Kohlschreiber

Guido Pella

Paul-Henri Mathieu

Michael Llodra

Steve Darcis

John Isner

Radek Stepanek

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Marin Cilic

Igor Sijsling

All retired from the tournament injured - and they clearly were, yet Murray is a wimp with a 'selective injury' because he manages to grit his teeth and win through. I bet you think he wasn't even injured for the French Open, and just basically wimped out because he thought he had no chance of winning.

That's what I heard, like I said, it was a tongue in cheek comment unfortunatley I don't live my life on the internet or on forums.

Being ignorant is no excuse.

Did you support Murray in the Olympics? What about Sir Chris Hoy? What about Heather Stanning? Katherine Grainger? Scott Brash? Timothy Baillie?

That's what I'm trying to say (obviously not doing a good job of it)

His nationality is irrelevant to me. I dislike him as a tennis player. None of that "whoever England are playing" thing bothers me.

Only him as competitor. If not for what I saw him do last year the id probably like him by now. He seems an ok ish guy. It's the same with say Thierry Henry. I thought he was top notch until the handball v Ireland. Then I was glad to see him vanish.

Same with Forest players. I don't like them purely for playing for Forest. I don't have any deep desire to harm anyone! Just want them to fail in their sport. I wouldn't wish bankruptcy or harm on many if any.

Although I wouldn't spit on Billy Davies if he was on fire. Scottish, British or England manager. Purely because he talks like a c0ck.

Regarding Murray 'holding his back', I wonder what Alpha Signia's thoughts are of the following players this year....

Philipp Kohlschreiber

Guido Pella

Paul-Henri Mathieu

Michael Llodra

Steve Darcis

John Isner

Radek Stepanek

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Marin Cilic

Igor Sijsling

All retired from the tournament injured - and they clearly were, yet Murray is a wimp with a 'selective injury' because he manages to grit his teeth and win through. I bet you think he wasn't even injured for the French Open, and just basically wimped out because he thought he had no chance of winning.

Mate you keep missing my point.

Last year at Wimbledon. During some matches when he was under pressure losing points he was holding his back. Gritting his teeth. Showing actual signs of pain whenever he missed a return or fluffed a shot. But it didn't stop him zooming about the court.

When he was on top and winning points with tremendous and sometimes difficult shots he wasn't holding his back. There was nothing. I remember a few jokes going around at the time.

That's it.

That's why I don't like him. Simple as that.

Do you like Sergio Busquets or Sergio Ramos I ask because not many people like them. Why not? Because they play acts and dives. They are pretty petty at times.

I don't understand why I have to have any bigger reason to like Murray.

I do think he was injured for the French open. But it's irrelevant. I'm talking a year ago. When I watched him.

I thought it was disrespectful. I thought it made it look like he was only dropping points through being "injured".

To me it's similar to Busquets or Pepe rolling around like they've been shot. It's not cheating. They are only making a scene for a referee. But it's just not my cup of tea. Neither is Billy Davies or Harry Redknapp.

I know what eddie is saying about the Croatia flag thing......

a few years ago i was in town shopping with the missus, i was stood outside what was Woolies then, (the old C&A) looking over to the Neptune, when i got a text. It was a mate from work who had forwarded a text about "the government making it illegal to fly St. George Cross's outside pubs for fear of upsetting muslims".

I texted him back to say no fecker had told the Neptune as it was adorned with England flags at the time....he replied, "no, its true, its on facebook and everything...."  :o

I know what eddie is saying about the Croatia flag thing......

a few years ago i was in town shopping with the missus, i was stood outside what was Woolies then, (the old C&A) looking over to the Neptune, when i got a text. It was a mate from work who had forwarded a text about "the government making it illegal to fly St. George Cross's outside pubs for fear of upsetting muslims".

I texted him back to say no fecker had told the Neptune as it was adorned with England flags at the time....he replied, "no, its true, its on facebook and everything...."  :o

Why do they do it?

Tabloids I mean. Do they like the idea of stirring up race wars? Is that what they want? I remember after the tube bombing the sun had two pictures on its front page of two girls. The headline was basically "1 Christian, 1 Muslim..." Basically showing terrorists aren't kill without discrimination.

Then they report councils banning flags and Xmas lights.

I don't get it. What are they trying to achieve?

Sorry, off topic ramble

Why do they do it?

Tabloids I mean. Do they like the idea of stirring up race wars? Is that what they want? I remember after the tube bombing the sun had two pictures on its front page of two girls. The headline was basically "1 Christian, 1 Muslim..." Basically showing terrorists aren't kill without discrimination.

Then they report councils banning flags and Xmas lights.

I don't get it. What are they trying to achieve?

Sorry, off topic ramble

Nothing wrong with banning Xmas light though. Should add garden gnomes to the list too.

What are they trying to achieve? Make more money and unfortunately fear and other strong emotions sells.

Still this stoopid argument about being British or not, when the place we live in is more multicultural than ever, is pointless.

But hang on, I sound hypercritical! When England play the Scots at footy or rugby, I want us to batter them stupid. The same applies to the Welsh.

So on that note

Scotland GTFO.

Excuse for what?, It's like trying to explain to a 2 year old. So there's no hearsay printed on this forum then eh? it's all 100% true.

I'm gonna show this my mate, he'll piss himself.

This isn't hearsay - it's something that was reported as fact and has subsequently been been denied over and over again, even to the point that the story in the tabloid was retracted, and only someone with their head thrust firmly in the sand would continue to be in denial. It was even denied (again) as recently as yesterday morning in one newspaper (not a paper that you and 'your mate' would be likely to read though).

Alpha, yes, you are entitled to dislike who you want. You don't need a reason, and you don't need to justify it. I was just pointing out that many people often hate Murray for reasons they have 'heard in the pub' or been told by their mate who apparently suffers from a lack of bladder control. It's always fashionable to dislike Murray in some quarters. For years he was useless, then when he started reaching the finals of majors he became a choker, then he won one so it will be the only one he will ever win but he won't be good in my eyes until he wins Wimbledon and even then his mum etc etc.

Those are all great reasons (in some eyes) - as is wearing a Croatia shirt that was actually supposed to be a Paraguay shirt which morphed into an Argentina shirt, as is the fact that he's a ginger - and Scottish.

The real reason many people don't like him is the same reason they don't like anyone who is successful - pure green-eyed jealousy.

Archived