Points v League placement debate

rynny

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK..

So we can all admit Stoke made an improvement last year then.. Why did Tony get the sack? Amazing really, afterall they improved..

And we can all admit that if you win more games than the year before and claim more points you only make an improvement if your in a higher place..

If there was a two man league between Chelsea and Aston Villa and after 10 matches Chelsea won all 10.. Then the next season Chelsea win 6 and Villa win 4 but Villa haven't made an improvement because they stayed in the same place..

OK

Sure

Glad we're all on the same page.

Regardless of points.. If Derby don't finish above 10th then there isn't an improvement.. They might finish 11th on 70 points and only 2 points of 6th but that's not an improvement because they didn't finish above 10 spot despite winning 3 more games and losing 3 less than the previous year..

OK guys..

If the standard got worse then what is to say that it won't the following year and the average will then be reduced, will it not?

Also running a 1 off race is no comparison with a football table, that is decided by multiple games, which cannot be affected by all 24 teams at the same time.

You might have run 10.20 when next to your biggest rival that you pushed that little bit harder than you normally do and the next year you get 10.30 as you are up against random chap you haven't had much dealings with, he is slower than you so you take it easier as you know you are easily beating him.

If the overall standard of the runners (i.e. their times) has fallen, then obviously they can't get the drugs.

Unlike Bris.

OK..

So we can all admit Stoke made an improvement last year then.. Why did Tony get the sack? Amazing really, afterall they improved..

And we can all admit that if you win more games than the year before and claim more points you only make an improvement if your in a higher place..

If there was a two man league between Chelsea and Aston Villa and after 10 matches Chelsea won all 10.. Then the next season Chelsea win 6 and Villa win 4 but Villa haven't made an improvement because they stayed in the same place..

Christ can you image a league with only two teams, how boring would that be??? It would be even more annoying than listening to some pig-headed buffoon go on and on about his point of view even though everyone else (in the world) disagrees with him...

GUYS?

IS THAT OK?

GUYS??

GUYS????

Christ can you image a league with only two teams, how boring would that be??? It would be even more annoying than listening to some pig-headed buffoon go on and on about his point of view even though everyone else (in the world) disagrees with him...

GUYS?

IS THAT OK?

GUYS??

GUYS????

OK buddy..

I'm just thinking about my schooldays and how my teachers lied to me..

I was a top 5 student, getting B grades.. Then I got an A the following year but because around 6 or so other students improved to get A* that means that infact I hadn't improved at all.. I actually got worse..

What a bunch of liars eh..

OK buddy..

I'm just thinking about my schooldays and how my teachers lied to me..

I was a top 5 student, getting B grades.. Then I got an A the following year but because around 6 or so other students improved to get A* that means that infact I hadn't improved at all.. I actually got worse..

What a bunch of liars eh..

If there's one definite in this world it is that I'm not your buddy. And I really don't like anyone who calls me that, or pal...

No your teachers weren't lying because I'm pretty sure there aren't league tables for individual school grades. Aren't we in the same ballpark as the sprinter analogy again...

Tell you what we'll start a petition to be forwarded to the football league that from now on league tables and the standings within it should be completely irrelevant. At the end of the season each team has to state their case on where they think they should finish instead. Like a self-assessment you do at work. The club with the best PowerPoint presentation wins...

OK MATEY BUBBLE-BATH...

If there's one definite in this world it is that I'm not your buddy. And I really don't like anyone who calls me that, or pal...

No your teachers weren't lying because I'm pretty sure there aren't league tables for individual school grades. Aren't we in the same ballpark as the sprinter analogy again...

Tell you what we'll start a petition to be forwarded to the football league that from now on league tables and the standings within it should be completely irrelevant. At the end of the season each team has to state their case on where they think they should finish instead. Like a self-assessment you do at work. The club with the best PowerPoint presentation wins...

OK MATEY BUBBLE-BATH...

Buddy where did I say that the league tables and the standings are irrelevant? Did you see me say that? Nope.. Because I didn't. You are making things up to suit your side of the debate..

Stoke were better in 2012 than 2011..

Why did they keep their manager in 2011 and not in 2012 when they clearly improved?

Buddy where did I say that the league tables and the standings are irrelevant? Did you see me say that? Nope.. Because I didn't. You are making things up to suit your side of the debate..

Stoke were better in 2012 than 2011..

Why did they keep their manager in 2011 and not in 2012 when they clearly improved?

They may have been good in 2012 but since the turn of the year they had a hideous run of form and flirted with relegation up to the penultimate game. Also, their style of play was nowhere near as effective as it had been in previous seasons. Seeing as Pulis doesn't have the managerial ability to play any other way the chairman got rid of him. Personally any manager who would prefer to play Jonathan Walters over Michael Owen, even if he was over the hill...

Bris, you need to differentiate between solo sports and team games.

I for one think Derby could and should have done better in the last few seasons, but even I can admit there has been a marked improvement in almost all areas. That's not to say there aren't many areas that must improve too.

The league position is the only measure that counts, it must be. You have to be better than a number of teams, and you have to adjust your mentalities to beat the different playing styles of each team. That is a measurable in my opinion, but yes, it is largely subjective. 

Your method of measure if different, but that's not enough for you to say everyone else is wrong..

They may have been good in 2012 but since the turn of the year they had a hideous run of form and flirted with relegation up to the penultimate game. Also, their style of play was nowhere near as effective as it had been in previous seasons. Seeing as Pulis doesn't have the managerial ability to play any other way the chairman got rid of him. Personally any manager who would prefer to play Jonathan Walters over Michael Owen, even if he was over the hill...

Wasn't as effective? They finished a place higher.. That's improvement right?

Bris, you need to differentiate between solo sports and team games.

I for one think Derby could and should have done better in the last few seasons, but even I can admit there has been a marked improvement in almost all areas. That's not to say there aren't many areas that must improve too.

The league position is the only measure that counts, it must be. You have to be better than a number of teams, and you have to adjust your mentalities to beat the different playing styles of each team. That is a measurable in my opinion, but yes, it is largely subjective. 

Your method of measure if different, but that's not enough for you to say everyone else is wrong..

I'm not saying that Derby should have done any better..

I'm merely saying that a -3 points from the previous season is a wierd way to say we've improved..

Like I've mentioned, if we improve at the same rate of -3 points per year we'll be relegated in 5 years..

People are getting carried away with 10th place as an improvement because the averages are down.. I mean why esle would people think Spurs have made an improvement.. If they continue at the same rate points wise in 5 years they'll be in the top 2..

And as for Swansea, in 10 years improving at the same rate under Laudrup they'll finish on 36 points and will probably go down..

It's the same arguement I had with you guys when you all thought that being 6 points off Middlesbrough in January mean that all we needed to do to make the playoffs was to finish above them..

Wasn't as effective? They finished a place higher.. That's improvement right?

Obviously league position and points tallies aren't the only way to judge whether a seasons been a success or not. Pulis has paid the price for not evolving his team to play any other way. The natives got restless because when teams matched their physicality and/or pushed high up the pitch to stop Crouch, Jerome & Jones' flick ons from working they had fook all else to offer. Plus they leaked goals at the other end. Don't agree with that assessment ask any sports journalist or pundit in the country.

Archived